GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,172
0 members and 2,172 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I took her question to mean her local group would be affiliating with a current NPC group as a new chapter.

In which case, if the local merges with a current NPC (ABC), any alumnae would be eligible to be initiated into ABC, correct? However, if she had since joined a different NPC (say, DEF) in grad school, she wouldn't be permitted to initiate with ABC since she's already a member of DEF, but many (or all) of her local sorority's alums could initiate as an ABC.
I looked at her other posts - she's a KBG - she means her entire sorority becoming the 27th NPC member.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Off topic to the above posts, but this thread prompted me to look at our current CPM (revised, 2010) regarding dual membership in SAI. Looking at the CPM then prompted me to look at our National Bylaws (Amended March 2011).

I was surprised. I found something in both documents I hadn't noticed before. It could have been there when I was a collegiate, but if it was, I didn't notice it. (I was pretty involved and served on the Bylaws committee for 3 years, so I really think it's new, but....)

Our bylaws are plainly labeled on the homepage and no password is required, so I assume I'm allowed to discuss them here.

-No person who has held membership in Mu Phi Epsilon, Delta Omicron or Phi Beta shall be eligible for any category of membership. (<--Knew that one)
-No person shall be eligible for membership who has been accepted to but not initiated by any other national music fraternity or sorority within the previous 12 months. (<--was surprised by this one)

It sounds very NPCish to me. Makes me wonder......but I doubt we're headed there.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 PM

^^^^It makes sense to me if DO, Phi Beta, etc. are similar typed orgs (as say, Tri Sigma is to AGD.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Off topic to the above posts, but this thread prompted me to look at our current CPM (revised, 2010) regarding dual membership in SAI. Looking at the CPM then prompted me to look at our National Bylaws (Amended March 2011).

I was surprised. I found something in both documents I hadn't noticed before. It could have been there when I was a collegiate, but if it was, I didn't notice it. (I was pretty involved and served on the Bylaws committee for 3 years, so I really think it's new, but....)

Our bylaws are plainly labeled on the homepage and no password is required, so I assume I'm allowed to discuss them here.

-No person who has held membership in Mu Phi Epsilon, Delta Omicron or Phi Beta shall be eligible for any category of membership. (<--Knew that one)
-No person shall be eligible for membership who has been accepted to but not initiated by any other national music fraternity or sorority within the previous 12 months. (<--was surprised by this one)

It sounds very NPCish to me. Makes me wonder......but I doubt we're headed there.
That surprises me about Phi Beta, personally, since it is not exclusively a music GLO.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^It also only has 1 active collegiate chapter and 1 collegiate colony.

I don't know the details of why the exclusivity with Phi Beta was enacted. I just know it's a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^^It makes sense to me if DO, Phi Beta, etc. are similar typed orgs (as say, Tri Sigma is to AGD.)
I was referring to the "12 months" rule. I've always known about our exclusivity agreements.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
That surprises me about Phi Beta, personally, since it is not exclusively a music GLO.
True, but Phi Beta's president is a member of the National Interfraternity Music Council (along with the presidents of Phi Mu Alpha, SAI, Mu Phi Epsilon, Delta Omicron, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma).
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. That's not a council I would be part of if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Wow. That's not a council I would be part of if the shoe was on the other foot.
Not sure which shoe and other foot you're talking about , but Phi Beta is also in the Professional Fraternity Association.

I don't know that the NIMC connection is why Phi Beta is specified in SAI's bylaws, but it is a possibility, I guess.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I am already a member of a NPC Sorority. I know that I am allowed to join the Christian sorority on campus, and have been strongly considering it, but I was wondering if anyone had done this before and if they have any tips for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM

This really depends on how many "social" things the Christian sorority does.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

How is the rule of not being able to join more than one NPC enforced? How would a sorority know if you have been in a different NPC sorority before? Is there some sort of database of the names of every member to be initiated into an NPC? I haven't seen any information on this specifically. I understand that the rule is firm, but I'm sure people have tried to join more than one NPC or sever from one and try to join another. Any information on this?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfgc View Post
How is the rule of not being able to join more than one NPC enforced? How would a sorority know if you have been in a different NPC sorority before? Is there some sort of database of the names of every member to be initiated into an NPC? I haven't seen any information on this specifically. I understand that the rule is firm, but I'm sure people have tried to join more than one NPC or sever from one and try to join another. Any information on this?
The world is smaller than you think. The Internet is forever.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are you referring to facebook photos and such? What do you mean by this?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfgc View Post
Are you referring to facebook photos and such? What do you mean by this?
Facebook photos. Facebook posts. Mutual friends. Chapter sites (they usually welcome their new members). School newspaper websites. Pretty much...everything. Unless you pledged a hermit sorority on a desert island.

Honestly, if you want to try it and the complete lack of integrity and honesty doesn't bother you, go for it, but don't be surprised if both groups find out and you have membership in nothing.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Just to reiterate-

A girl from my initiating AGD chapter deactivated and transferred schools. She began attending COB parties for another national (and very well known) sorority. The AGD chapter found out and called the officers of the other sorority. They no longer considered her for membership and I'm sure word was spread at the next Panhellenic meeting.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 08-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Closed Thread