GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,572
1 members and 1,571 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Once my dd (not at Ole Miss) had the recs she needed, some of the ladies who offered to write my dd a rec wrote a letter of support instead (since they knew her well). At least a letter is less paper to shuffle for the membership chair than another rec with attached resume, photo, etc.

I don't know how well these are received at all campuses -- my understanding is that this can differ from campus/chapter to campus/chapter.

I've had a few moms in the past ask me to write a letter of support to my own chapter -- so I'd be interested in MaryPoppins' opinion on this.
The importance of Letters of Reference, Recommendations, et cetera, is twofold: 1) to check a box that the PNM has one; and 2) to let the chapter know about the PNM. The amount of PNM support a rec/ref provides is dependent on the quality of the rec/ref itself, and therefore dependent on the writer and the PNM. If it's bland or pro forma it will just fulfill that box check requirement.

The crux of the matter comes when the PNM seems attractive to the chapter and the chapter now wants to know more about her. If she is already known to the chapter then the pro forma rec/ref is fine. If she is not well known, or perhaps unknown, then a informational ref/rec is needed. The unknown/less well known PNM needs the additional boost to go beyond the chapters mere interest. Chapters use all information received to study the PNM, they use that information in recruitment to connect with her, and if she is a rush crush to promote her within the chapter.

It is old school to look at the number of ref/recs or letters of support when evaluating an PNM. I cannot speak to how old school any of the chapters here at Ole Miss are as that is clearly a membership selection area. Since recruitment gifts of food and flowers in support of a PNM are no longer permitted, the extra letters and rec/refs may now seem the only avenue available. I cannot know how additional letters and rec/refs would be received at the various chapters at Ole Miss, but I think that I would make certain that there was quality over quantity in any rec/ref, resume', or materials sent in on one of my daughters.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigelmn View Post
Is it appropriate to have family members (mother, aunt, grandmother, ect.) write you a Rec letter?
Depending on the NPC Chapter, there are legacy introduction forms that Alumnae fill out for their legacies, and yes, it is appropriate for a relative to submit those forms. It's the only way the legacy chapter has of knowing that you have a special relationship to them. Mother-daughter and Sister-Sister seem to be universally accepted as legacy relationships. Grandmother-Granddaughter and Aunt-Niece may be accepted as legacy relationship by some chapters. Your relative needs to investigate with her headquarters if your relationship requires a legacy introduction form or perhaps it might instead require a letter of recommendation/reference.

By the way, if it should happen that your legacy relative has passed away, it may be possible for another member of that NPC chapter to submit the legacy introduction form on the deceased members behalf. Each NPC Chapter has it's own rules, and those are subject to change from time to time, according to the constitution and bylaws set forth by each organization. The alumna member vouching for the PNM has the responsibility to be sure that they are familiar with the current rules and policies on legacies and letters of recommendation/reference.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I ask everyone on GreekChat in advance to be gentle with me concerning the recolonization of Alpha Delta Pi at Ole Miss, as I will be watching same with the curiosity of a clowder of cats.

(Holy run on sentence, Batman!)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I ask everyone on GreekChat in advance to be gentle with me concerning the recolonization of Alpha Delta Pi at Ole Miss, as I will be watching same with the curiosity of a clowder of cats.
Ole Miss, where EVERYONE speaks. We at THE University are waiting to welcome your ADPi emissaries. I hear they will be arriving to begin introductions. You cannot know how excited we are!

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Ole Miss, where EVERYONE speaks. We at THE University are waiting to welcome your ADPi emissaries. I hear they will be arriving to begin introductions. You cannot know how excited we are!
A sure sign that you were brought up right!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

Everyone is ready for ADPi to return! I know the AOIIs had shirts made and buttons! I ordered a shirt!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Everyone is ready for ADPi to return! I know the AOIIs had shirts made and buttons! I ordered a shirt!

[IMG][/IMG]
Loving the t-shirt! Loving the attitude behind it even more! *glow*
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

That is so sweet!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapters there have to be praying for a successful colony to take some of the heat off! I think those shirts are super cute. It would be fun if all the chapters did the same shirts, with their own letters of course.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss especially needs successful colonizations if only for the sole reason that the new member classes don't have to be 130 girls! Good Luck to ADPi!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisLover View Post
Ole Miss especially needs successful colonizations if only for the sole reason that the new member classes don't have to be 130 girls!
According to the Ole Miss Greek Affairs website, the largest chapter had 383 members last fall. That's bigger than some small towns!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I kind of hope that ADPi will involve international officers from other districts in this colonization just so I can see what the big southern fuss is all about...haha.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Should girls be lining up ADPi recs for Ole Miss as well? Do they hold separate recruitments events and assuming so, where would recs be sent?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choabet View Post
Should girls be lining up ADPi recs for Ole Miss as well? Do they hold separate recruitments events and assuming so, where would recs be sent?
Seems to me that would be a great idea, but I don't know where you'd submit them. I've never been around when a colonization was occurring. Any of you know how this part usually works? I'll ask our Advisor over Panhellenic after lunch today.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

If the recent colonizations at Alabama and Arkansas are any indication - yes they should have a rec for ADPi that would be reviewed by the national extension team. I would expect they will have the address in a panhellenic preview packet soon. Legacies can probably notify the ADPi executive offices directly.