GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,127
2 members and 1,125 guests
LarryByday

Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Order of Omega Eligibility Question

I initiated into Phi Mu Alpha at Ohio University three years ago. Then I transferred to Marietta College. I didn't go greek here because I basically dated into the sororities of the girls I dated. And I was still kinda active at my old chapter. I finally rushed at the end of my sophomore year and associated with Lambda Chi Alpha. I was affiliated with them for a year before I got kicked out. (Which was bullshit but that doesn't matter in this thread.) I'm now working with Delta Upsilon to get them rechartered on campus.

Order of Omega applications came out this week. I want to join but I'm afraid not being a member of a house on this campus will prevent it. For those of you in OoO does it specifically say in the constitution, bylaws,etc that you have to be a member of a house on that specific campus or is that just assumed?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaPhiMA View Post
I initiated into Phi Mu Alpha at Ohio University three years ago. Then I transferred to Marietta College. I didn't go greek here because I basically dated into the sororities of the girls I dated. And I was still kinda active at my old chapter. I finally rushed at the end of my sophomore year and associated with Lambda Chi Alpha. I was affiliated with them for a year before I got kicked out. (Which was bullshit but that doesn't matter in this thread.) I'm now working with Delta Upsilon to get them rechartered on campus.

Order of Omega applications came out this week. I want to join but I'm afraid not being a member of a house on this campus will prevent it. For those of you in OoO does it specifically say in the constitution, bylaws,etc that you have to be a member of a house on that specific campus or is that just assumed?
QFP, just in case......
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

(Article IV, Section 1). Members of Greek-letter social organizations recognized as part of the local Greek community are eligible, whether or not the chapter is affiliated with a national organization.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Unrelated: Are Phi Mu Alphas eligible for Order of Omega? The legislation Senusret quotes would lead me to believe they are (because they are a social fraternity, thanks MysticCat!). The Sinfonians are new to our campus, so my OoO chapter has never run into this issue.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

On another note, how long have you/will you have been in school?

I'm guessing that you have not been in school for consecutive semesters over those three years. (Nothing against that, I put myself through school and didn't go straight through 8 consecutive semesters).

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Unrelated: Are Phi Mu Alphas eligible for Order of Omega? The legislation Senusret quotes would lead me to believe they are (because they are a social fraternity, thanks MysticCat!). The Sinfonians are new to our campus, so my OoO chapter has never run into this issue.
I would think so. One thing I think though, is that the OoO might limit it to people on the local IFC/NPC. Because IIRC, members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia are allowed to be in other social organizations.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Because IIRC, members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia are allowed to be in other social organizations.
I think this is a case by case basis. On my campus, Phi Mu Alpha is looked on as another social fraternity - if someone tried to join, for example, it and TKE it wouldn't work. PMA are also full members of the IFC.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew this sounded vaguely familiar: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=111122
Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

From the Constitution (1998 version...the intent hasn't changed but the words may have):
"The qualifications for membership in The Order shall be character, scholarship and intelligence, service and leadership in the inter-Greek affairs of their institutions."

"To be eligible for membership in The Order of Omega, a students shall meet the following minimum requirements:
  • One full academic year of residence in the institution where elected
  • Junior or Senior (undergraduate) standing
  • Rank academically above the all-Greek system average (combined fraternity and sorority)
  • Be in good standing with the fraternal organization"

PsychTau
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Really dukemomma? We can deal without drama on this thread.

I looked up the OoO constitution. There are several sections that haven't been quoted on the thread yet. As a transfer I would be able to even though I don't have a house here. Either the greek office can nominate me itself or I can be nominated by another house on campus.

Last edited by MariettaPhiMA; 03-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
On another note, how long have you/will you have been in school?

I'm guessing that you have not been in school for consecutive semesters over those three years. (Nothing against that, I put myself through school and didn't go straight through 8 consecutive semesters).
You're right that I'm putting myself through school. This is my seventh year as an undergrad. I've gone straight through. I did two years at community college, two years at OU. Two years at Marietta, then one quarter at the community college. I'm back at Marietta now but as a continuing ed student.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really dukemomma? We can deal without drama on this thread.

I looked up the OoO constitution. There are several sections that haven't been quoted on the thread yet. As a transfer I would be able to even though I don't have a house here. Either the greek office can nominate me itself or I can be nominated by another house on campus.
It's possible, if the local chapter allows that as an option. They may not. I worked with one chapter that had a bylaw that stated that only members of recognized Greek organizations in good standing with the university would be eligible to apply. Best bet would be to ask the Greek Life office or one of the officers of the Omega chapter.

PsychTau