GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,166
1 members and 1,165 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

NPHC Members To Be Among Gamma Chis for Fall 2012 NPC Recruitment (Miss. State)

At Mississippi State U, two members of an NPHC sorority applied and have been selected to be among the Gamma Chis for fall 2012 recruitment. Reportedly this is the first time that NPHC members have served as Gamma Chis at Mississippi State. For fairly long article see:

http://www.reflector-online.com/news...ment-1.2708043
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

As long as they know that there is no Membership Intake reciprocity when it comes to such things.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

How can they help girls make an informed decision about a process they have not experienced? Their organizations use a completely different recruitment process.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't there a discussion about this recently?

ETA: Found it (Southern Mississippi, though): http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=123376

Last edited by knight_shadow; 02-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think it is great that the NPHC women volunteered to do this. Surely, they are capable of understanding that the NPC process is different and providing the appropriate emotional support to PNM's.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this IS the case, but it's also possible these girls did go through NPC rush, decided it wasn't for them and chose to join NPHC sororities.

I think this is an excellent idea. Hopefully they would be seen as unbiased and simply there to help the rushees. And it's not rocket science; you just need girls who are interested in the process and able to communicate it. Unfortunately some NPC girls may choose to be Gamma Chis for less honorable reasons than this, like just wanting to get out of rush, member selection, hair, makeup. The NPHC girls wouldn't have this motivation, but may have career aspirations that this would help. Like being a Greek Life adviser...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

What if a nonGreek decided to apply to be a gamma chi? Has that ever been done?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
What if a nonGreek decided to apply to be a gamma chi? Has that ever been done?
I wondered that too. If next year an independent applies for a position, how could she(or he, for that matter) be turned down, if all other criteria are met?
Perhaps in the MSU constitution and/or by-laws it was never specified that Gamma Chis were to be members in good standing of NPC sororities.

It seems to me that each council should, while working together to promote greek life from within their respective councils, not veer into another councils business.

As Dr. Phil implied, NPC sorority members need not volunteer to assist with NPHC intake-as it should be.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

NPHC women have been Gamma Chis at Southern Miss for several years and have done a great job. Plus the bonus of NPC and NPHC groups getting more familiar with each other's systems and making new friends!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I wondered that too. If next year an independent applies for a position, how could she(or he, for that matter) be turned down, if all other criteria are met?
Perhaps in the MSU constitution and/or by-laws it was never specified that Gamma Chis were to be members in good standing of NPC sororities.

It seems to me that each council should, while working together to promote greek life from within their respective councils, not veer into another councils business.

As Dr. Phil implied, NPC sorority members need not volunteer to assist with NPHC intake-as it should be.
I was going to mention the bold, but I figured there were rules in place saying "...a woman in good standing..." or something.

I still think it's strange, but if it's working, so be it. There are plenty of ways to show Greek unity without diving into processes that folks are unfamiliar with.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Why would anyone who's not involved with rush at that campus even be concerned about this, much less opposed?

Whatever works for that campus....
Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I think being a good Gamma Chi is more about the "counseling" aspect of things instead of the "structure/process" part of recruitment. Someone can always look at a piece of paper and read the directions on how many chapters they can rank (and they can always ask another Gamma Chi for help with that part) but I think the magic happens when a Gamma Chi can help a crying girl work through her disappointment and convince her to at least attend the parties she has that day, THEN decide whether or not she wants to drop out. Some people have that gift of being able to talk others through a difficult situation and you need those people as Gamma Chis. That's what keeps women in recruitment and helps them find their home.

I love this idea!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Why would anyone who's not involved with rush at that campus even be concerned about this, much less opposed?

Whatever works for that campus....
Why do we discuss ANYTHING on Greekchat? There are plenty of things that are brought up on the site that don't directly affect ANY of us, but we still talk about it. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I was going to mention the bold, but I figured there were rules in place saying "...a woman in good standing..." or something.

I still think it's strange, but if it's working, so be it. There are plenty of ways to show Greek unity without diving into processes that folks are unfamiliar with.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
For the same reason you shared your opinion.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
It seems to me that each council should, while working together to promote greek life from within their respective councils, not veer into another council's business.
Absolutely agreed. To me, this is a misguided attempt at "diversity" that really doesn't accomplish anything on a bigger scale.

Everyone saying this is wonderful - would you feel the same way if a fraternity man was a Gamma Chi?