GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,292
0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsuchelle View Post
I personally think its a sign of a weak person to have the attitude "well I went through it, they should have to as well."
Well, I guess I compare it to someone working for a company for so many years and finally working his/her way up the ladder, and then all of the sudden somone starts working there and comes into the company at the same level as the person who worked so hard to get at that level. That would annoy me. I don't think it makes anyone weak. My opinion though.
Romans 1:16
Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Neither are you.
Meee! Oh how could you? I don't even know how to spell haze. Oops!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
Well, I guess I compare it to someone working for a company for so many years and finally working his/her way up the ladder, and then all of the sudden somone starts working there and comes into the company at the same level as the person who worked so hard to get at that level. That would annoy me. I don't think it makes anyone weak. My opinion though.
PrettyBoy;
Yes, you do have a right to have an opinion. I see that you seem to be rather new to GC ( Welcome ). As I suggested earlier in this thread, it may be a good idea to review some of the other threads in this forum.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. only 23%??????
Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mGZ. View Post
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. only 23%??????
Most of us like to abide by the strict no-hazing policy set forth by our respective HQs.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Most of us like to abide by the strict no-hazing policy set forth by our respective HQs.
weak! but, understood... except that it's an anonymous poll, right?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
weak! but, understood... except that it's an anonymous poll, right?
MAYBE.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
PrettyBoy;
Yes, you do have a right to have an opinion. I see that you seem to be rather new to GC ( Welcome ). As I suggested earlier in this thread, it may be a good idea to review some of the other threads in this forum.
Thanks. I read some of the other post and I respect other opinions but again, I just think its unfair that people now can just walk in without earning anything. I just don't think anything great should be free. How can someone appreciate something they haven't worked for? It blows me away to see members of other organizations walk around wearing letters as if they worked so hard for it. All they did was receive an acceptance letter, learned some history, signed their names and walla they're in. The killer part about it is they don't even know the members they pledged with. When I say know, they know nothing about each other. That's sad to me. Again my opinon.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 11-11-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
Thanks. I read some of the other post and I respect other opinions but again, I just think its unfair that people now can just walk in without earning anything. I just don't think anything great should be free. How can someone appreciate something they haven't worked for? It blows me away to see members of other organizations walk around wearing letters as if they worked so hard for it. All they did was receive an acceptance letter, learned some history, signed their names and walla they're in. The killer part about it is they don't even know the members they pledged with. When I say know, they know nothing about each other. That's sad to me. Again my opinon.
so true. worse is when you go to a diff school and go to their chapter which doesn't haze and you see all the actives there. mannnnn that kills me

Last edited by mGZ.; 11-11-2006 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
so true. worse is when you go to a diff school and go to their chapter which doesn't haze and you see all the actives there. mannnnn that kills me
So far I've never had that experience, and I hope I never do. The chapters that I've been to still practice the traditional and right way of pledging, although I have seen other greek letter organizations that don't haze and I'm not even in those organizations and it still bothers me that new members skated in. I definitely agree with you and couldn't agree with you more. I remember I went out with this girl in XYZ sorority who wasn't made the right way, and some of the things she was telling me, I thought to myself, how can she be proud to wear letters representing a sorority this old with a ton of respect and didn't do nothing to earn it. At the time I had a paddle hanging on my wall and she thought it was a cool decoration. I told her that's hanging there because it had been USED several times! To me her pledge period is so unacceptable it's insane.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 11-11-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jeffklein
really?

i believe that it is completely impossible to NOT haze (considering the VERY broad definition of hazing)

i believe that i was barely hazed. i mean, i was referred to as a pledge, and not as a new member.

i was never paddled, awakened at some late hour of the night, forced to drink anything...basically i was never even remotely harmed in any way whatsoever.

i've seen some pretty bad hazing in my day, and it really breaks my heart.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklein View Post
i believe that it is completely impossible to NOT haze (considering the VERY broad definition of hazing)

i believe that i was barely hazed. i mean, i was referred to as a pledge, and not as a new member.

i was never paddled, awakened at some late hour of the night, forced to drink anything...basically i was never even remotely harmed in any way whatsoever.

Are you in a sorority?

I don't know of any fraternity which forbids the use of the word 'pledge.'
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Are you in a sorority?

Jeff said he was referred to as a pledge and NOT a new member.

Don't know of any fraternities that forbid the word pledge (like the NPC sororities who use it as a verb and not a noun)...but don't some have other names for their pledges? Such as, say, associate members?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I believe NPHC fraternities more or less do.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklein View Post

I know of really crazy hazing stories too, and some of it is depressing, but I still think it's necessary. I mean if you really want to appreciate and love your organization.

You were never paddled? Be glad you weren't. LOL.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 11-12-2006 at 12:36 AM.