GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,440
2 members and 1,438 guests
flamboyanttree
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AZ-Alpha Xi, I knew I was missing a scenario in there!

I think that in JKL's scenario, if they did happen to COR an additional 30 women to bring them up to total (50), it wouldn't be considered "quota plus 25" (10 original bids + 5 COR bids to = quota of 15 plus 25 women to bring them up to total of 50). It's my understanding quota is usually only used/referred to during the structured recruitment process (besides being able to COR up to quota, even if a chapter is at or above total).
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2005, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Quick Question

[/B][/QUOTE] There is no "quota plus" for COR.*
[/B][/QUOTE]

This is the answer that i was looking for. I just find it interesting, and something that i never understood because i think that it favors the chapters that are good at formal recruitment.

I think (and if i could rule the world) that if a sorority is allowed to take quota plus during formal/structured rush, then if that sorority needs to COR to reach quota then they should be allowed to take quota plus during COR. I think that each sorority should be allowed to be successful at what they are best at.

I am just asking cause i know at my school some sororities could be over total(90) through making quota and then getting quota plus, so they were at say 100 to 110 while at least 2 other houses were below 50. I know whinning has no real use, but it seems that if a sorority can take quota plus during formal/structured rush then to help out the "small" sororities they should be able to do what the larger chapters do during COR.

Just my opinion, but thanks for the 411,
Old 06-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Quick Question

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaalpha
This is the answer that i was looking for. I just find it interesting, and something that i never understood because i think that it favors the chapters that are good at formal recruitment.

I think (and if i could rule the world) that if a sorority is allowed to take quota plus during formal/structured rush, then if that sorority needs to COR to reach quota then they should be allowed to take quota plus during COR. I think that each sorority should be allowed to be successful at what they are best at.

I am just asking cause i know at my school some sororities could be over total(90) through making quota and then getting quota plus, so they were at say 100 to 110 while at least 2 other houses were below 50. I know whinning has no real use, but it seems that if a sorority can take quota plus during formal/structured rush then to help out the "small" sororities they should be able to do what the larger chapters do during COR.

Just my opinion, but thanks for the 411,
but the thing is, a quota doesn't EXIST during COR. The only time quota exists is formal rush.

I think some schools have said that you can COR up to "average chapter size" rather than total on campus, but don't quote me on that.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quick Question

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I think some schools have said that you can COR up to "average chapter size" rather than total on campus, but don't quote me on that.
That's true because at some schools the average chapter size is WAY above Total. In order for the sororities to maintain some sort of parity, it would be only fair to allow the smaller chapters to get up to average chapter size. I know that this is done many times during colonization too.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
If chapter average is way above total, then panhellenic should seiously consider either raising total, or bringing in a new chapter.

I was wondereing, in order to encourage women to pledge the smaller chapter(s) on a campus with a reputation which doesn't match reality, could the small chapter(s) be allowed to recruit freshmen in the fall semester, and much larger chapters be required to wait until spring semester to recruit. It would encourage some women to at lteast investigate the smaller chapter(s) because they could start their sorority experience sooner. But if they were determined to join the larger chapters, they would have to wait a semester.

Just thinking a little bit outside the box.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

i like the premise of your idea, but in a way it seems like it would be a punishment for the big chapters.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM

Not only that, you get into freedom of association issues (if the chapters in question haven't done anything to be punished for). The HQs of the sororities effected would be running to the ACLU before you could say Green Book!

Plus, at a school where being super selective is part of the allure of the Greek system, this could backfire - "oh you can pledge ABC first semester, but to pledge XYZ you have to WAIT because we're WORTH it."
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The other thing is where to draw the line. I realize many systems there's a huge gap between the large sororities and small sororites and there's hardly middle groud, but when there is middle ground, who gets to recruit in Fall and who has to wait?? If you have 2 groups at 100+, 2 at 60, 2 at 40 and 1 at 20, where do you draw the line??
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand what you all are saying, and that it's unfair to the bigger chapter, but how could we work it out to help the smaller chapters recruit more women? Coming from a small chapter (~50) at a school of huge chapters(most 100-150+), it's almost impossible to compete with these chapters, and due to this, our chapter closed. We couldn't pledge quota during FR, nor could we reach total through COB. Quota and total have both risen significantly recently, despite attempts to keep it downfrom us and our Greek Advisor, because it is a vote from all chapters. The solution in this case (of high total and quota), is NOT to add another sorority to keep down total so chapters can have real sisterhood, because if one chapter is struggling now adding another sorority would just worsen the problem, and either make the small chapter smaller, or both the small chapter and the new chapter small. What is the answer though? Allow the small chapter to close, sadly enough, and move on, add another GLO like the problem never existed?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I think the answer IS to close a struggling chapter. Every now and then chapters get into a hole that they can't get out from, or at least not without a LOT of panhellenic support. If that support isn't ever going to be there, it may be better for the chapter to close, and recolonize later. It is NOT what is best for the sisters there, but it may be the best thing for the chapter as a whole.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axidgl
Allow the small chapter to close, sadly enough, and move on, add another GLO like the problem never existed?
Unfortunatly, this happens rather frequently.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axidgl
nor could we reach total through COB.
Did you have open bid events throughout the year or just following formal rush?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We COB'd throughout the year, at least one a week. We pledged women in every two weeks, and still could no get to where we needed to be.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Here's my HO

1) GLO members of the male persuasion do not seem to understand the way Panhellenic is set up - nor can they seem to understand why it is set up the way it is. So, MEN don't worry about it . . . I know it bothers you that we do it this way and totally different from IFC, but this is the way that it has worked for a long time. (My brother (a KA from B'ham Southern) thinks the whole panhellenic recruitment thing is a ridiculous set up - but I tell him it is what is necessary to "recruit" mostly 17-19 year olds - to help them the most.)

2) And, women, come on, ya'll all know why we have to have these "green book" rules - we are women - Sometimes, the older ones of us have to make sure that the younger ones of us don't mess up too much. We have to set up a way to help the strong chapters and the "transitional" chapters alike. These new release figures are for sure the right direction if the various "hired greek advisors" follow the rules accordingly.

3) Also, I think what some people are missing is there are different reasons for different "terms" - I don't think and Panhellenic is trying to drive us crazy with "fuzzy math."
a) Panhellenic quota (and reaching Panhellenic quota) determines alot of things as far as the individual sorority goes - like national awards and so forth.
b) quota additions geared more towards the pnm then greek system.
c) snap bids are for the individual sorority
d) total is for the greek system (to grow or know what to do next year)
e) COR's are set to get the sorority to total

So, knowing all of that should help to understand why some sororities have quota plus (to help the pnm's) and why some sororities have snap bidding (so they don't have to COR)

- Reading back through this I sound like I am trying to be mean but I promise I am not, so please try not to take it that way, these are just the way I see things -

Panhellenically Yours
Connie
Old 09-23-2006, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested in how this actually works.

This question goes way beyond the scope of anything I'm really entitled to know, but could an official rush advisor anonymously post modified data on a school's rush to basically show how different systems work?

Like make up group names and return rates, and walk us through what happens at schools with different systems?

Again, I'm simply an alum, not any kind of advisor, and I don't really need to know any of this, but I'm curious about how things have actually worked. Quota additions and release figures seem like they would be wonderful, and yet schools (it seems based on threads from the last few years) seem to have trouble implementing them in a way that works.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-23-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Closed Thread