GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,330
2 members and 1,328 guests
g41965

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Ethical Question

Ive got an ethical question for you GCers. This year a large national fraternity is trying to recolonize on campus. The greek community was thrilled when we found out because our administration is trying to get rid of us by making things very hard.
IFC supported the move and my fraternity made the motion to allow and interest group. Problem is this. Now they have a core group of guys and will be on campus again next year. These guys are ones who rushed but did not receive bids in the fall 07 rush. Some will be ineligible under college rules, others have sorted pasts. Our campus has come very far in eliminating hazing and we fear that the new president of this chapter will haze the living out _______ of pledges. The make-up of this group has already done things to piss of IFC and Administration, and we as a community fear that should they recharter, they will bring a bad rap down on themselves, the community and their national.

So the question, would it be ethical to try and make them fail in their rechartering quest?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 AM

Honestly, if this group is as awful as you say they are, people will be hesitant to pledge them anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. If they create enough risk management issues, they'll be off campus before you know it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

> ineligible under college rules
Usually this means a low GPA? I don't know of any other "rule", other than "you must be a student taking at least xx hours."

> others have sorted pasts
I assume you mean "sordid"? As in vandalism? alcohol violations?

If you have facts to bring up, there's nothing unethical as long as you present the whole truth. Say, they got drunk, and destroyed a park bench. They replaced the bench and did a day of community service, like raking leaves. That would be the whole truth.

Rechartering involves many steps, both for your campus as well as their national. You can't make them fail, but they can make themselves fail. Their (hopeful) national usually has a risk management team, I don't think much will get past them?

Ideally, you probably don't want them to fail, but get their act together, and be a good house? Realistically, that might not be practical for the whole group? Perhaps a couple? But a solid coaching effort, of both students and faculty, would not only be ethical, but also a feather in your house's cap.

Last edited by modorney; 02-07-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBullet View Post
Ive got an ethical question for you GCers. This year a large national fraternity is trying to recolonize on campus. The greek community was thrilled when we found out because our administration is trying to get rid of us by making things very hard.
IFC supported the move and my fraternity made the motion to allow and interest group. Problem is this. Now they have a core group of guys and will be on campus again next year. These guys are ones who rushed but did not receive bids in the fall 07 rush. Some will be ineligible under college rules, others have sorted pasts. Our campus has come very far in eliminating hazing and we fear that the new president of this chapter will haze the living out _______ of pledges. The make-up of this group has already done things to piss of IFC and Administration, and we as a community fear that should they recharter, they will bring a bad rap down on themselves, the community and their national.

So the question, would it be ethical to try and make them fail in their rechartering quest?
Do you get to re-vote on them before they actually charter? If you do, vote no.

If that isn't possible, let the national fraternity know that their name is already mud with IFC and the admin before even being chartered...hopefully they'll step in and get the guys on the straight and narrow.*

*pming you
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Do you get to re-vote on them before they actually charter? If you do, vote no.

If that isn't possible, let the national fraternity know that their name is already mud with IFC and the admin before even being chartered...hopefully they'll step in and get the guys on the straight and narrow.*

*pming you
As long as you can back up your feelings, thoughts and beliefs I would agree-inform TPTB on and off your campus.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Low GPA's for a few, some have judicial records with the college, like to many busts for underage drinking or drugs, and police records.

If they could get their act together it would be the best thing, but i dont see that happening.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't sound like they'll be competing with y'all for candidates.

I wouldn't worry about it except that if you're an IFC delegate and these guys ask for your written recommendation, vote your conscience there. You never know.. this president could fizzle and a decent leader could come in behind him and turn things around.

If Gettysburg is a private school, I would be communicating my concerns to the Greek life adviser or the campus life director, but I would want to have the backing of IFC before doing something like that. If you're at a private school, there's too much at stake to put your future into the hands of individuals who are apparently a bunch of miscreants.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

If the pledges and president are as bad as you say, the fraternity wont last.
Sustaining a fraternity is all about stability and recruitment and if there is a lot of hazing and a bad core group of guys, then it wont be stable, and no one will want to join. So just let it flow and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No it would not be ethical.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
No it would not be ethical.
Agreed.
Allow the chapter to make its own mistakes after it recharters. Then either its national or IFC can take the steps to discipline it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Agreed.
Allow the chapter to make its own mistakes after it recharters. Then either its national or IFC can take the steps to discipline it.
Is it "better" to be re-active or pro-active?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Is it "better" to be re-active or pro-active?
I can't believe it, but I totally agree with Jon on this one.

As the OP stated, the administration is not exactly Greek-friendly and the current Greek community is trying to repair that relationship. The fear is that these new guys will come in acting like ding-dongs and destroy any goodwill that has been up or make things even harder for the current Greeks. The admin won't care that it's a new group because it paints all Greeks w/ the same brush.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

you do realize that all this is assumptions right? and you know what happens when you ASSume...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

it seems to me that if there is evidence of hazing, underage drinking, drugs, vandalism or whatnot, that ifc could have representatives of the colony appear before the assembled body and answer the charges. isn't that how ifc would handle the same situation with an established chapter?

it would demonstrate to the school administration that the established greeks are committed to positive fraternity/sorority experiences and are capable of policing their own.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

The OPs original question is would it be ethical and try and make them fail. This (to me) implies underhandedness and that would make it unethical. That is to what I am responding.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!