GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,232
3 members and 1,229 guests
austinyandxtz54, Yodap, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM

LSU Lawsuit- LSU Tougher on Sororities than Fraternities

A lawsuit coming out of the Max Gruver hazing death case alleges that LSU is tougher on sororities when accused of hazing than fraternities that are accused. The claim is that this leads to tougher hazing in LSU fraternities.

https://www.wafb.com/2020/05/14/laws...rinking-death/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This is fascinating! I would never have predicted that Title IX would be applied in this way.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

As I was reading, I thought, "If this is the case they're presenting, I assume they're going to need examples of how the sororities were punished more severely." And there it was.

I wonder if there are other instances of harsher punishment for the women.

Quote:
One alleged 2016 incident involving Gruver’s fraternity, in which members allegedly admitted to hazing, resulted in the organization being placed on interim suspension for a month.

The lawsuit contrasts that punishment with punishment against a sorority accused of hazing its pledges by making them sing songs, do sit-ups, and putting whipped cream, syrup, and eggs in their hair.

That sorority was given “Total Probation” by LSU — the most severe sanction LSU can impose, short of rescinding its recognition of the sorority.
Also, I wish there were more details regarding this aspect of the lawsuit. Are hazing allegations solely investigated by members of the Greek councils at LSU?

Quote:
The lawsuit also critiques LSU for allegedly allowing members of Greek letter organizations to perform investigations into the allegations against their own organizations.

LSU does not allow other students or student organizations to investigate themselves following allegations of dangerous or illegal misconduct or policy violations, the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit says this creates a culture where LSU knowingly allows Greek letter organizations to submit lies about the information they discovered during internal investigations.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It’s true everywhere. “Boys will be boys” extends to this, as well.