GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,221
2 members and 2,219 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 06-02-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Proud To Be Greek!!!!!!!

Just an FYI.. i'm not sure of where i read this, but did you know that 80% of the people listed in the Who's Who book (actually a reference book available in the library listing every person who "starts a ripple") are members of greek orginazations?? wooooooooooooooord... you can throw that back in the face of anyone who talks smack about fraternities and sororities..
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Yep and it includes Pres., check sites to see some of the Important people in Film Media, Polotics, Military and many more areas. Can go to greekpages.com and look a lot of things up for each Org.

The highest GPA's and Contributors to College Foundations.

Greeks are Bad, lets kick Greeks off Campus!

What a shame this is the mentality of so many people!

Oh yes, am I proud to be a Greek, You Damn Bettcha, all the way.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-03-2003, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a real shame that there are still people out there that badmouth Greeks. I don't know if it is the media or natural close-mindedness that is to blame in this phenomenom (please tell me if spelled it wrong). Judging from the percentage of Who's Who that are members of GLOs and the other accomplishments, these badmouthers should think twice before speaking ill about us. As my signature indicates, I am proud to be a sister of Epsilon Sigma Phi! I AM ALSO PROUD TO BE GREEK!!! We all should be proud to be Greek!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Call me skeptical, but I wouldn't "throw this back in the face"of anyone unless I knew for sure that I could back up the claim with hard facts. This sounds like another Greek urban legend to me, especially since Who's Who comes in over 15 "editions" (Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the South, Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, etc.) and is constantly updated.

Greeks have plenty to be proud of without resorting to claims that will be hard if not impossible to back up. On the other hand, trying to defend the Greek system with claims that can be easily knocked down hardly helps anyone's credibility.

My $0.02.

Last edited by MysticCat; 06-03-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Please allow me to clarify and add on.....

71% in Who's Who in America are greek

85% of Fortune 500 executives are greek

80% of US Presidents since 1900 are greek

-HELL YES I'M PROUD TO BE GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aren't you?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadahlin'
Please allow me to clarify and add on.....

71% in Who's Who in America are greek

85% of Fortune 500 executives are greek
No offense intended, sigmadahlin', but what are your sources? Can you back these claims up?
Old 06-03-2003, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
You can be proud to be greek whether or not there are 71% or 85% or 20% in Who's Who or Congress or the White House or the Supreme Court. Each individual member should live a life that reflects positively on his or her GLO.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
You can be proud to be greek whether or not there are 71% or 85% or 20% in Who's Who or Congress or the White House or the Supreme Court. Each individual member should live a life that reflects positively on his or her GLO.
very well said Cream!!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
i'm in who's who among american high school students (two years in a row) along with national honor roll, junior leadership alcorn, american red cross volunteer, and tons of other stuff
Old 06-03-2003, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by 4RunnerStar
i'm in who's who among american high school students (two years in a row) along with national honor roll, junior leadership alcorn, american red cross volunteer, and tons of other stuff
I was in Who's Who in HS also.

Thank you, Princess Heather.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks a bona fide statistic to me ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadahlin': 80% of US Presidents since 1900 are greek
Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81: No offense intended, sigmadahlin', but what are your sources? Can you back these claims up?
Many of the past US Presidents were members of Greek Letter Organisations (thus, Greek). In addition to being members of social fraternities (i.e. members of The North-American Interfraternity Conference), some were members of other Greek Letter Organisations such as Alpha Phi Omega, a service GLO or other GLOs such as Phi Alpha Delta, a professional GLO (both groups are members of The Professional Fraternity Association). This would form the basis of the statement 80% of US Presidents since 1900 are greek.

Sources:[list=1][*] Center for the Study of the College Fraternity, Bloomington, IN.: "The North-American Interfraternity Conference has compiled a list of U.S. Presidents [who were/are members of a Greek Letter Organisation]".[*] The entries which read Phi Alpha Delta and Alpha Phi Omega can both be separately verified at the PAD and APO websites, respectively.[/list=1] President & Fraternity (figures in brackets are years in office of US Presidency)
  • Rutherford Birchard Hayes - Delta Kappa Epsilon (1877-1881)
  • James Abram Garfield - Delta Upsilon (1881)
  • Chester Alan Arthur - Psi Upsilon (1881-1885)
  • Benjamin Harrison - Phi Delta Theta (1889-1893)
  • William McKinley - Sigma Alpha Epsilon (1897-1901)
  • Theodore Roosevelt - Delta Kappa Epsilon/Alpha Delta Phi (1901-1909)
  • William Howard Taft - Psi Upsilon & Phi Alpha Delta (1909-1913)
  • Woodrow Wilson - Phi Kappa Psi & Phi Alpha Delta (1913-1921)
  • Warren Gamaliel Harding - Phi Alpha Delta (1921-1923)
  • Calvin Coolidge - Phi Gamma Delta (1923-1929)
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt - Alpha Delta Phi (1933-1945)
  • Harry S. Truman - Lambda Chi Alpha & Phi Alpha Delta (1945-1953)
  • Dwight David Eisenhower - Tau Epsilon Phi (1953-1961)
  • John Fitzgerald Kennedy - Phi Kappa Theta (1961-1963)
  • Gerald Rudolph Ford - Delta Kappa Epsilon (1974-1977)
  • James Earl Carter Jr. - Phi Alpha Delta (1977-1981)
  • Ronald Wilson Reagan Tau Kappa Epsilon (1981-1989)
  • George Herbert Walker Bush - Delta Kappa Epsilon (1989-1993)
  • William Jefferson Clinton - Alpha Phi Omega & Phi Alpha Delta (1993-2001)
  • George Walker Bush - Delta Kappa Epsilon (2001- )
In total there were 19 Presidents (greek or not) from the year 1900 to date. Since 1900, there've only been three US Presidents which aren't on that list (Herbert Clark Hoover 1929-1933, Lyndon Baines Johnson 1963-1969 and Richard Milhous Nixon 1969-1974). Since those three were not Greek (that I have ascertained), that leaves sixteen who were, which means sigmadahlin''s comment "80% of US Presidents since 1900 are greek" is correct, with verifiable sources. The specific figure being 83% (17.4% of US Presidents non-Greek since 1900 rounded to nearest whole number).

!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
That should be the point of all of this - well said
Old 06-04-2003, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Looks a bona fide statistic to me ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
Many of the past US Presidents were members of Greek Letter Organisations (thus, Greek). In addition to being members of social fraternities (i.e. members of The North-American Interfraternity Conference), some were members of other Greek Letter Organisations such as Alpha Phi Omega, a service GLO or other GLOs such as Phi Alpha Delta, a professional GLO (both groups are members of The Professional Fraternity Association). This would form the basis of the statement 80% of US Presidents since 1900 are greek.
Thanks, decadence, but if you look back at my post, you'll see that I only asked for sources on the two other claims -- that 71% in Who's Who in America are Greek and that 85% of Fortune 500 executives are Greek. I did not ask for confirmation on the "80% of Presidents" claim because that one is much easier to check out, as you have demonstrated. (And this claim is much more accurate than the all too commonly heard claim that "all but two presidents since 1825 have been Greek.")

Cream, you are exactly right!! I don't think any of us need to rely on possibly-inflated claims that may only undercut our credibility. I'd much rather spend my energy being a good adverstisement for Greek life myself.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat81 I agree with you

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81 Thanks, decadence, but if you look back at my post, you'll see that I only asked for sources on the two other claims -- that 71% in Who's Who in America are Greek and that 85% of Fortune 500 executives are Greek.
I was speaking generally . In my defence, it was about 3am and while it took some time to verify the Presidential statistics, to verify say the 85% of Fortune 500 executives being Greek item, would - in the absence of any published studies citing it (I could not find any) - require me to a) decide myself what constitutes an 'executive' e.g board member, b) find out the 500 companies listed, c) find out their executives and research any greek affiliation for them before finally calculating the percentage which turned out to be Greek! I decided to go and sleep instead
Originally posted by MysticCat81: I did not ask for confirmation on the "80% of Presidents" claim because that one is much easier to check out, as you have demonstrated.
Cough Well... I wouldn't say it was easy!
Originally posted by MysticCat81: (And this claim is much more accurate than the all too commonly heard claim that "all but two presidents since 1825 have been Greek.")
Yup, I found out last night how accurate that one was!
Old 06-04-2003, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb This thread got me thinking

Ther're a lot of other very very common statistics used to promote Greek Life, I think it would be a fantastic resource for the future and provide powerful advocacy tools if we could verify sources for each of them (where verifiable). Anyone agree?