GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,210
1 members and 1,209 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Another fantastic GC welcome.

/Not being sarcastic, he deserved it.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySpice View Post
That's not necessarily the case, particularly where the other party relies on your statement and takes action (like releasing a movie) based on that reliance.

Let's say you got wasted, and you spent $5000 on bottles of Cristal for all your friends. Do you think you could tell MasterCard the next day, "I was drunk when I signed the credit card receipt promising to pay; the contract is void"? You wouldn't get very far with that argument. It's not MasterCard's job to make sure that you're making a smart decision about whether to sign. Unless they secretly drugged you, or you're a minor, you have to pay.
One of the Chi Psi's depicted is under 21 and was provided alcohol by the Borat crew.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, I'd think that he's still of age to sign a contract though. If someone wanted to press criminal charges that might be a new twist...
Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvySpice View Post
That's not necessarily the case, particularly where the other party relies on your statement and takes action (like releasing a movie) based on that reliance.

Let's say you got wasted, and you spent $5000 on bottles of Cristal for all your friends. Do you think you could tell MasterCard the next day, "I was drunk when I signed the credit card receipt promising to pay; the contract is void"? You wouldn't get very far with that argument. It's not MasterCard's job to make sure that you're making a smart decision about whether to sign. Unless they secretly drugged you, or you're a minor, you have to pay.
But I do seem to recall a couple of cases that made the national news when drunk businessmen successfully got outrageous tips voided. Like $10,000 tip on a $200 bill. While it's not up to MC to make sure the person is sober, it is up to the vendor that provided the Cristal to make sure the person is of sound mind.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so let's say they get compensated from Borat and crew. These guys still look like tools and they are the laughing stock and an embarassment to their hq. It's not like they're claiming an editing job or anything like that. But I guess money makes up for something...as far as they're concerned.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, they're obvioulsy poor and are just looking for easy money. Not frat.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...at_Lawsuit.php

Congratulations--they've made the International Herald Tribune

This would not be the first time that drunken frat boys acted like louts, but these young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooge1970 View Post
These three idiots in Borat did a wonderful job of portraying the average frat boy. And now they wanna sue because the movie's making millions and they're portrayed as the male pigs that they are. These guys are the embodiment of the fraternity system-- bagging on minorities, bagging on women. Oh, that's right-- they were drunk, so its okay. It kind of strikes me as funny that these three big tough fraternity boys are now suing for emotional distress and whatever else they're calling it. Sexist racist losers with big mouths. Though, I'm sure they'll be embraced by the majority of the fraternity system as heroes. Always love to see a system such as this torn apart so we can see what's really inside.
Lawsuit video:
http://us.video.aol.com/video.index....pmmsid=1764686
Old 11-11-2006, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

wow that was the funniest scene in the whole movie ---- what a bunch of idiots ahahahahaha

ball em
Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

As someone in the know...

Listen up, I know these guys personally. One was my roommate at the lodge. I know all ya'll like to pass judgment and act like you wouldn't have engaged in this, but odds are you would've. These guys were duped. They were told they would be in a documentary that would never be seen in the states. I'm not excusing their behavior as a majority of it I found distasteful, so much so that I refused to help in their lawsuit. Within months of filming the scene one of the guys had graduated and another transferred out. One of the kids was younger than 21 when this was filmed, however he did present the producers with false identification. sure it created a shit storm for the lodge and it wasn't the best national news for the fraternity as the last newsworthy story regarding Chi Psi involved the death of a pledge due to alcohol poisoning. We all have brothers who have less than perfect judgment and more specifically in the south we all have brothers with a less than PC outlook on society. They wouldn't have said what they said if it wasn't in their heart of hearts. So I can't accept the excuse that the producers encouraged the behavior as valid. It's just a fucked up situation.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousfratty View Post
Listen up, I know these guys personally. One was my roommate at the lodge. I know all ya'll like to pass judgment and act like you wouldn't have engaged in this, but odds are you would've. These guys were duped. They were told they would be in a documentary that would never be seen in the states. I'm not excusing their behavior as a majority of it I found distasteful, so much so that I refused to help in their lawsuit. Within months of filming the scene one of the guys had graduated and another transferred out. One of the kids was younger than 21 when this was filmed, however he did present the producers with false identification. sure it created a shit storm for the lodge and it wasn't the best national news for the fraternity as the last newsworthy story regarding Chi Psi involved the death of a pledge due to alcohol poisoning. We all have brothers who have less than perfect judgment and more specifically in the south we all have brothers with a less than PC outlook on society. They wouldn't have said what they said if it wasn't in their heart of hearts. So I can't accept the excuse that the producers encouraged the behavior as valid. It's just a fucked up situation.
And you just bumped a 3 1/2 year old thread and reminded the world of a situation most people had forgotten about. Way to go, genius.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I had forgotten about it...til now lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Forgot about that scene. Thanks for reminding me.