GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
0 members and 1,360 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Memorial Day-2007

Memorial Day

Every year at this time, I sit and try to write something moving, something
which will express my gratitude and respect for those who surrendered their
lives in service of this country.

Every year, I fail.

It isn't that I can't craft the words.

The problem always is the same. Our language doesn't contain words vivid
enough, deep enough, moving enough, to get the job done.

This is the day set aside to honor a special group of veterans. These aren't
just those who served- that comes in November. This day- Memorial Day- is for
those who served and lost life in that service.

I am a free man because of the sacrifice of those who served, and those who
died in service. I am free to read what I choose, to protest our government,
and to disagree with those whose views differ.

I am FREE.

This freedom I have was paid for by the blood of those valiant men and women
who we honor today. As long as I am alive, I will be grateful to them, and
when my time comes, I hope one of the first opportunities I have in the next
life is to thank them personally.

To those who lost loved ones in service: Your loss was not in vain, and I am
forever in your debt, too. May your sorrows be assuaged by the knowledge that
your loved one(s) made the world, and our home, better and safer.”

< head bowed in respect>

David B.
St. Louis

Dave, where ever you are today, I could not say it any better.

Next Monday, many of us will find ourselves on a beach or at a pool, up in the mountains or down by the shore, at a store or just in the backyard. Or perhaps even at work. But for every one of us enjoying ourselves, thousand are not. And will never again be able to.

This is the day, no matter what we are doing and where we are, we should pause and give a moment to those Men, Women, Boys and Girls who gave their all so we could be enjoying ourselves this weekend. And the next and the next…

If you see someone in uniform, stop and say “Thanks”. For no doubt, they have a few comrades who did not make it back.

And if you, while either walking or driving by, happen to see either a Blue Star Flag or a Gold Star Flag hanging in a house, give thanks and good thoughts to that family. If it is a Gold Star, someone gave their all.

And if there is a parade in your city, town, village or where ever you may be, please stop and take the time to be part of it.

Jon

A new addition (5/04) from David:
“Jon,

I'm right here, actually. I'm always surprised when I see that post
repeated online, because I never expected to see it saved by people.
I've seen it reposted in a number of places since I wrote it.

And I mean it as much now as I did when I wrote that a few years ago.

Everyone of those lives lost was one to be treasured, and we should
never forget them, whether they lost their lives in our war against
terrorism, the War for Independence, or, to use a line from
M*A*S*H, "the latest war to end all wars."

David

Just a few notes that I have saved from the ‘net for this day:
http://www.historychannel.com/cgi-bin/frameit.cgi?p=http%3A//www.historychannel.com/exhibits/memorial/memorial.html

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

O Valiant Hearts
O valiant hearts who to your glory came
through dust of conflict and through battle flame;
tranquil you lie, your knightly virtue proved,
your memory hallowed in the land you loved.

Proudly you gathered, rank on rank, to war
as who had heard God's message from afar;
all you had hoped for, all you had, you gave,
to save mankind — yourselves you scorned to save.
John Stanhope Arkwright’s hymn “O Valiant Hearts”.

Last edited by jon1856; 05-22-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the post. What could anyone possibly add?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
Thanks for the post. What could anyone possibly add?
Thank you.
While many of us no doubt have family, friends, "Brothers/Sisters" who have or are currently serving, most of us do forget what some of our Holidays are truly about.

Last edited by jon1856; 05-25-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Thank you.
While many of us not doubt have family, friends, "Brothers/Sisters" who have or are currently serving, most of us do forget what some of our Holidays are truly about.

While we as Americans or in the throughs of the Iraqi war, this is not the first war. We as Americans along with many peoples have done the same thing. We weep over the men and women that we have lost, no matter what conflict it is. It has been since the begining of time and people die!

The question is it worth it? I do not know enough to say for sure.

My Uncles were in WWI, My Father and Uncle were in WWII, and my cousin was in Viet Nam.

Many of my relatives were in many previous wars, R E Lee, the Earp family in The Civil War. G Washington in The Reveluntionary War along some of the Lees.

Is it proper, are we doing the right thing? Who knows until history writes it self when it is all sorted out in History.

Do I hate to see Our Men and Women lose their lives, you damn bet I do!

The men and women who are there feel they are doing some good, now We can only hope it is true and give support for them!

I am sure many of us have Brothers and Sisters over there! Give them your support!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-26-2007, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the post; we shouldn't keep our thoughts and feelings about this to one day a year, but it really is a day to remember.

I know I am thankful for the work of those such as my grandfathers (both WWII veterans) and my father (a Vietnam vet) who served this country, and I am even more thankful that they lived through the experience.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've had ancestors or relatives in every war in which this country has unfortunately been involved, not including the current Iraqi war. Some survived, some didn't - but what matters was that they each felt that the privilege of living in a country with the freedoms we enjoy meant service to the USA. I am so proud of them, yet know that I have nothing to do with their integrity.

Today, we decorated the graves of several of these men, including my daddy. We then went to the Soldiers' Section, where my uncle's buried. I never met him - he was killed before my mother was even out of high school. It's such a humbling experience, to see all those flags snapping in the breeze - alone. More humbling than most people should ever know.

When you go to a parade this weekend - have a picnic, or just chill out - try to take a moment to remember the men in the Soldiers' Sections in graveyards across this country, in France, and places unknown. Without them, none of us would be able to enjoy any of this. May they be blessed.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

As a DAR and UDC, I have a history steeped in sacrifice for this country. Many men in my family died in service and some even before we were a nation. This is a very solemn day for the members of my family and I appreciate someone bringing to the forefront the true understanding behind Memorial Day.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Thanks for the post; we shouldn't keep our thoughts and feelings about this to one day a year, but it really is a day to remember.

I know I am thankful for the work of those such as my grandfathers (both WWII veterans) and my father (a Vietnam vet) who served this country, and I am even more thankful that they lived through the experience.
I understand what both of you wrote as my Uncles unit was 2nd wave Omaha; he survived the war while many in his unit did not let alone the invasion.

My girlfriend and I spent this weekend up in MA and were taking in some Museums while on the way home. We were in Stockbridge when their parade started. Stockbridge's Main Street is still pure Old America; just as Norman Rockwell painted it so many years ago. Short parade but still very touching. I think every town up there had one today.

Last edited by jon1856; 05-25-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Memorial Day-2008

re-newed.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

In reply to my posting, elsewhere, a person posted the following link.
I can relate to the story behind it as I saw something very similar to it
unfold several years ago during my home town's Memorial Day Parade.
The video is well worth watching.
http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en.htm

Last edited by jon1856; 05-25-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

For Memorial Day -- Quiet Sacrifice

For Memorial Day -- Quiet Sacrifice

By Tom Purcell

Ida Ayres never served a day in the armed forces, but she knows a thing or two about the sacrifices of war.

When we think of war and conflict, we think of the men and women who put themselves in harm's way, as we should. But what about the parents, children, siblings and spouses who are left behind to worry and pray?

"Through four wars, I have been the daughter, sister, wife and mother of men who served their country," Ida explained to me.

During World War I, Ida's father, Sam DiRenna, fought for the Italian army. DiRenna, who was born in a small town near Naples, was captured by the Germans and spent four years in a concentration camp. He survived by eating potato peels and garbage scraps. The Germans branded his forehead -- a scar he retained for the rest of his life. .....
http://www.caglepost.com/column/Tom+...Sacrifice.html
http://cagle.com/news/MemorialDay08/

Last edited by jon1856; 05-25-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Over the past 15+ years, PBS has broad casted the National Memorial Day Concert. And while every year has gotten better, it has also become even more gut and heart rending.
The actor Charles Durning has given several talks about his WWII experiences. I, in the back of my mind, always wondered what he may have been the recipient of.
After last nights show, I looked:
"Charles Durning is one of America's premier character actors. After his heroic participation in World War II, where he earned three Purple Hearts and the Silver Star for valor, Durning spent four decades making his mark in theater, film and television."
http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcert/
We may not know, or realize, that many people we look up to as actors or sport stars are truly heroes.
The French man from Hogan's Hero's, whose name escapes me, was in the
Free French Resistance. And was rescued at the end of the war from one of the camps.
Edit and possible correction:
While I recall Robert Clary( Corporal Louis LeBeau) saying during interviews on the History Channel that he was in The Resistance IMDB has this
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0165145/bio
http://www.robertclary.com/bio.html

Last edited by jon1856; 05-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Over the past 15+ years, PBS has broad casted the National Memorial Day Concert. And while every year has gotten better, it has also become even more gut and heart rending.

We may not know, or realize, that many people we look up to as actors or sport stars are truly heroes.http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcert/
For many years, Detroit's most recognized local TV personality was (is?) weatherman Sonny Elliot. I worked with him for a while and am sure he's retired by now. What most don't know is that Sonny (not his real name), who is Jewish, was a WWII bomber pilot who was shot down over Germany and spent time in a POW camp.

On the concert, the credits generally thank "The Miller Family." Walter (father) is producer, Paul (Director) and Debbie Miller (Associate Director) are all EMMY award winning directors. Paul, was a classmate of mine in the Radio-TV school at Ohio University.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 05-26-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Clairifying last sentence
Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

A timely *bump.