GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,508
1 members and 1,507 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry...but can a mom give some advice to the PNMs?

To all the PNMs out there:

If you've found your way here to GreekChat for help on recruitment, then you've already found some wonderful advice from those who know. It's all wonderful, sound advice: keep an open mind, be yourself, get recs, present your own self in the best possible way, aim for good grades, be involved on campus, ignore the tent talk, make up your own mind. All really excellent advice.

I'd like to add a corollary piece: trust the system and the sororities. They truly are trying to find the girls who fit best with their particular house. If a group asks you back, trust that maybe it's because they see something in you that you might not even see in yourself and that something is the key to your being a fit with that group. Of course, there's times when girls are missed or cross-cut and are not asked back when maybe they should have. But I strongly believe that each sorority is doing the best they can to get the girls they want - and if they want YOU, it's for a reason. Now I'm not saying you should pledge a house you definitely don't want but don't forget rule no. 1: keep an open mind!

My daughter's rush story could have been scripted and you've all seen it before. She went into rush as a freshman with high hopes and expectations which were dashed as she went through, got cut and was left with a house she never was comfortable with so she dropped out of rush. She re-rushed her sophomore year - a year older, wiser and more relaxed. She had the same high hopes and expectations but had a more realistic view of things. She did get cut but wound up preffing a house she had never really considered - mainly because she knew very few girls there. But it was clear that they really wanted her and while she gladly accepted their bid, it was with some apprehension because she didn't know a lot of girls. As she went through her pledge period and got to know her fellow pledges and girls in the house, she realized what a great group of girls they all were and how happy she was to be in that house.

She wound up where she was meant to be - it was so comfortable for her from the beginning because she fit there so well. I like to believe that she fits there well because her sorority knew she would. By taking a leap of faith and trusting that they chose her for a reason, my daughter's story has a happy ending.

I know not all stories have such happy endings but if you keep that open mind AND trust in the choices the sororities are making, then I'm hoping that most of you will have the happy ending, too!

Sorry...mom gets off the lecture soapbox now...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If only all advice was as forthright and honest!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

a beautiful post and timely not only for pnms, but for any mothers, sisters, aunts or grandmothers who have a pnm going thru recruitment. thank you for these wise words!!