GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,466
1 members and 1,465 guests
haleyjuniroz689
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know future PNM's going through recruitment at UT will probably read this thread. Some will drop out of recruitment when they are cut from the "top tier" sororities and I have to say I am so sad for them. I wish someone would explain what makes a sorority "top tier". The women are wealthier,prettier? Is that how you normally choose your friends?

They have more social opportunities? The sorority my D pledged is not considered a "top tier" sorority. Yet in the last two weeks she has attended mixers,been invited to date events, gone to fraternity pledge lines,had dates to the game,been invited to Texas/OU. She has had plenty(too many if you ask me) of social opportunities!

Yes I will admit there were some sororities that she felt more at home with initially. But she knew that she would be able to find some kindred spirits in any of the groups. I guess dropping and going through as a sophomore is an option if you feel like the "top tier" is the only place for you. Maybe it is. My D is having a great time in her "lower tier" sorority.

I realize that the tier system at UT will probably never go away especially after reading some of the previous comments. Maybe some chapters at UT are better than others. I would like to believe that if you go in with an open heart you will be able to find an amazing sisterhood in any of the chapters if you are lucky enough to get a bid. You will be able be make lifelong friends and fabulous memories regardless of "tier".

If that is what you want. If it's not and you believe you can only be happy in a "top tier" sorority then good luck next year. I wish you the best!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so glad to hear that your daughter is having a grand time and that she took advantage of the opportunity given to her.
I often wonder how many women who drop out of a very competitive recruitment because they didn't have top tier choices actually re-rush with their desired results and also stay involved with their sorority as alumnae?
My impression is that those who pledge a sorority for the sisterhood and philanthropy and service during college years tend to be more involved as alumnae than those whose main objective is to belong to a top tier group on their campus.
Just my opinion as an adviser and national officer...
Old 09-17-2017, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

is there a bid list anywhere?

i wrote a few recs for UT-Austin and would like to know where they went, can't get a hold of the girls now and their facebooks are locked down, nothing new in their instagram bio...
Old 09-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Bid list not published.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

@UTmom2 please check your messages.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

These girls are not so superficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is kind of a mish mosh of thoughts but bear with me.

Honesty time.
Every PNM who drops out because they "did not feel a connection" and wants a "better connection next time" generally means that they did not end up with one of the six or so chapters that everyone wants to be in. They are hopeful that one of these six or eight will "connect better" next time.

The thing with that is, these six or eight are the chapters that EVERYONE tends to feel connected with. That is why you know their names when people talk about the "best at UT." They're good at recruitment. They make you feel like you want to be them. It is literally their job to do that.

See also: These are also the chapters who are least likely to pick up sophomores because their classes are mostly freshmen who are known elements from hometowns, school, camp, etc.

I'm not saying do not try again. I'm just saying be honest about your opportunities if you are on the hunt for a certain type or tier of group. You may have diminishing returns with continuing to try a second time.
Okay, this seems like you're stereotyping an entire group of women. It is perfectly okay to drop recruitment because you don't feel connected with the houses you have left. It happens. I personally think you should stick with it, but it happens.
Many girls don't feel a connection with many of the "top" houses because, news flash, they don't always treat PNMs correctly. Its sad.

I dropped out of recruitment my freshman year because I didn't like the houses I had left on preference, and then I proceeded to go through recruitment again as a sophomore. I had an entire year to meet people and try to figure out where I might belong. As a sophomore on preference, I had a house that many consider to be the absolute TOP, and I also had a very middle tier house that I had never heard a single bad thing about. Guess what? I chose the middle tier house.

To say that many of these young women are dropping out of recruitment simply because they didn't get a top house is a little insulting. You're saying that they're that superficial. Its not okay. I know a girl that was cut by bottom tier houses and was devastated even though she had top tier ones left because she really liked it there. I know another girl that out of an absolute top house and an absolute bottom, she chose the bottom house because she felt like she belonged. A lot of girls flat out don't care about tier, and instead more worried about finding their home. And as for the girls that actually are so eat up with tier that they drop out of recruitment, they probably won't respond, change, or be open when people judge them!

So many good girls have a rough time during recruitment at UT. Its normal. Dropping does not mean you are only concerned with tier.

As far as being a sophomore, LITERALLY EVERYONE takes sophomores. It CAN BE an advantage. Every house has a sophomore quota!! It is nothing to worry about!! I'm an active here!! I know!!

Last edited by DeltaGlamorous0; 10-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Especially at big schools, the process itself can be really overwhelming. And let's say you are one of those totally overwhelmed, you don't know what to think, and you're hearing from what seems like absolutely everyone that you can't possibly pledge THAT house (which could easily be half of the chapters) when you thought they were just fine. In that case I would say, sure, drop. You may find an opportunity as a snap or COB in the fall or the spring, or you can try again next fall and may be better prepared for the crazy.

I guess that is also "not feeling a connection" but in a different way.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaGlamorous0 View Post
As far as being a sophomore, LITERALLY EVERYONE takes sophomores. It CAN BE an advantage. Every house has a sophomore quota!! It is nothing to worry about!! I'm an active here!! I know!!
As far as dropping out because of "tiers", I know that has happened and still does. And I agree with DubaiSis, some girls drop out because they are overwhelmed by the process at a big school. It's a lot to take in and the pressure can be unbearable.

Last edited by NYCMS; 10-08-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is about Texas, not Alabama or anywhere else.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW - Alabama has an upperclass quota. This year it was 10.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks, Dubai Sis, my bad.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been so busy but I see all of the comments here and wanted to respond now that I actually have a slower weekend!

I feel that I can rush as a sophomore and get a house I want to be in. I don't want to have to deal with a chapter's less popular status and I don't want to force it at a house that's not appealing to me. Some girls force it and it works out fine but other girls force it and they aren't happy, so it just depends on the girl.

For me, I met some really cool girls in specific houses already, so I'm hoping to get one of those houses next year.

I'll go ahead and take the mystery out of things so you know what's what, although rush seems so long ago now and a few chapters are not on my wish list anymore. I get that every UT chapter has smart, attractive girls, I mean that's just UT for you, but at this point, I can honestly say I would love to be associated with Kappa, Theta, Chi O, Alpha Phi or Alpha Chi.

Many girls at UT re-rush well as sophomores; there's no reason for me not to. I'm having fun, meeting lots of people and going to lots of events, so, here's to next year!!
Old 10-29-2017, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

3, 2, 1 ...
Old 10-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Old 10-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Go for it SarahE. We would never tried to dissuade anyone from rushing. However, we will give the facts when someone asks, whether it’s what they want to hear or not.