GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,216
0 members and 2,216 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2000, 02:49 AM
chica_2000

Question sororities/fraternities

what opportunities do you get from being in a fraternity of sorority?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2000, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

There are really endless opportunities. Networking is a big one. When you become a member, you automatically become part of a national networking system. Sisters around the country help out other sisters when they venture out to get jobs. Not only does a sorority look good on a resume, but you never know when you run into one of your own. This can help you very much after college.

The reason why sororities look good on resumes is because of the involvement. There are a lot of people out there who can't cut joining a sorority or fraternity and keep grades up. When you join, and you keep grades up, it means that you are a hard worker. You may have held positions like president, fundraising chair, risk management, etc. in the sorority, that means you have leadership skills. It means you have social skills and work well with others. The list goes on and on.

Sororities have what are called philanthropies. These are like community service projects. My sororities national philanthropy is to aid the hearing impaired. We go into the community and raise money for our philanthropy, do community service involving our philanthropy, and so forth. We also raise money and so services involving other things, not just our philanthropy.

Becoming a member of a sorority means life long friendships. You will hear many people refer sororities and fraternities as "buying your friends" this could not be further from the truth. Yes, joining cost $$$, but friendships are earned, even in a sorority. Sorority sisters are just that, sisters. These are people that you share a common goal with, they support you and you support them. They are people with the same ideals and motives. When rushing, you will tend to go more to the sorority that you find interesting and that you feel that you would enjoy being a part of the most. All the girls in the org. felt the same way when they joined, you automatically have something in common. This sisterhood lasts your whole life time. I am planning a wedding and my attendants are people I was friends with in high school and sisters of my sorority. I wouldn't ask anyone else. I love them all.

There are other perks, and they are different for each individual and for each different sorority. You become a part of something special. Something that has a meaning. Yes, there are parties. Yes, it costs money. These small things are a very, very minor part of being in a sorority.

There really is nothing but opportunity in joining a greek orginization.

Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

------------------
"The trouble with self-made men is that they worship their creator."

--Unknown

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited February 14, 2000).]