GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,169
1 members and 1,168 guests
Low D Flat

Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA confusion

Does anybody else's school have a different GPA depending on your number grade? Like an A is a 4.0, an A- is a 3.67, a B+ is a 3.33, a B is a 3.0 a B- is a 2.67, etc.?

I just finished my freshman year. Before the spring semester began this year, I had an overall GPA of 3.4 out of 4.0 (for 6 credits, including fall grades and transfer grades). My semester GPA for the spring turned out to be a 3.6 out of 4.0 (for 4.25 credits), but my overall GPA dropped to a 3.38!

I'm not asking anybody to do any elaborate calculations or anything, but if your school calculates GPAs the same way as mine does, does this sound normal to you? I am going to talk to someone in records about it, but first I wanted to make sure I'm not just ignorant.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Your GPA usually does not transfer, just the credits. Have you tried calculating your grades only from your new school?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My school does include transfer credit, for some reason. According to my own calculations my overall GPA should be a 3.46. So I'm not really sure if they calculate GPAs differently or if there is just a glitch in the computer system...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The first college I attended did not have minus or plus, so changing that GPA over to a University that did use those things was kinda difficult! My school ended up accepting my transfer credits, and my overall GPA was also a mix of my transfer GPA and my University GPA. However, to get Latin Honors, my school only counted my GPA with them! Which really sucked as I got Magna Cum Laude, but would have gotten Summa if they have factored in my overall GPA!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
USF has minus grades. UF does not. Hence converting my UF GPA to something USF wanted was tricky. But at least I got into USF for library school. Don't remember if FSU has minus grades.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

The school I currently attend does + and - grades. It's new to me. My alma mater (undergraduate) didn't calculate grades this way.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM

I've gone to undergrad and grad at the same school, and they started using +/- in my senior year. Departments could decide whether to use it or not. My undergrad dept didn't. However, my grad program does.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovemyAKA View Post
The school I currently attend does + and - grades. It's new to me. My alma mater (undergraduate) didn't calculate grades this way.
My experience has been the reverse. My undergraduate institution did +/- grades (A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, etc.), but my grad school does regular letters only.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Either way, it seems mathematically impossible that a higher GPA for a term would lower your cumulative GPA. I'd go to the records office for an explanation. Perhaps they changed how they are counting your transfer GPA.