GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,237
2 members and 1,235 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face rushing as sophomore/junior!

I'm currently a sophomore and will be a junior next fall but planning on rushing for sororities at my school. In my first yr, I didn't know much about the greek community here and had a very strong opinion against the whole idea. I rushed for fun this spring and came to realize what I've been missing in my college career. Although I got a bid from two wonderful sororities this spring, I've declined the bid because not every sorority at my school participated and I wanted to check them all out.
Though, It'll be my 3rd yr next fall, I have to be in school for an extra year due to my major (architechture engineering). Would you guys recommend me to rush as a sophomore (since I have 3 more yrs to go anyways)? what are some suggestions and advices for rushing as an upperclassman?? At my school, about 90% of the fall formal rushees are freshmen and I really don't feel comfortable rushing with them
I'd really appreciate honest comments! Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
While it depends on the school, it's a good idea to let the sororities know that you'll be there for an extra year. It's hard to say without any more information, though.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face rushing as a sophomore/junior

I go to Penn State, University Park.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined my org as a transfer/Junior. While Greeklife isn't as competitive where I went (SUNY New Paltz), it was a good experience, and I think it made me a stronger alumna, since I kinda feel I missed out on the other 2 years of being in my org. I say go for it!! I also joined in the Spring and it was a good experience because our class was varied, it wasn't all Freshman, but consisted of other Sophomores and Juniors which was nice at the time.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM

I don't really know anything about Penn State specifically, but in all likelihood you'd be classified as a junior.

This can work to your advantage. At some schools, juniors and seniors are "free" (not counted in quota), or there is a separate quota for juniors and seniors, so that they are more likely to get bids rather than being passed over in favor of people who will be there for 4 full years.

You will want to make it clear that you're going to be around for 3 more years, not 2, and that it's for a good reason (a major with lots of required courses, a double major, change of major, etc.) - not just that you flunked all your classes freshman year and need an extra year to catch up.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Question what's junior quota?

what do you guys mean by separate quota for juniors or seniors? Is not counted as quota (freebie) good for you??
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm pretty sure that psu has seperate quota for juniors. i know that many students transfer to u-park for junior year, so there are probably many interested women. there are lots of penn state people on gc who i am sure will chime in at some point!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State doesn't count juniors in quota. I went through recruitment in Fall 03 as a junior. I didn't get a bid but it was one of the top five experiences I've had at PSU. I met my best friend from rush and I've made many contacts that are still helping me today.

As for getting a bid, it depends. There isn't a sorority on campus that won't take a junior and some of them tend to take juniors more often than others. Also, your Pi Chi group will be all juniors so you won't be rushing with the freshmen/sophomores in your Pi Chi group.

My advice is to be yourself. Do you, don't change just for recruitment. Go into it with an open mind and ignore all of the rumors and talk that goes on outside of the parties. Also, wear comfortable shoes during Open Houses, the hills are murder.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy another junior-to-be here!

Hey
I am also going to be a junior this fall, and planning on rushing.
Hopefully I get a bid from where I want because that's pretty much why I am doing it again for the 3rd time. I've gotten a couple bids before but none from the ones that I wanted so I'm thinking about giving it another try.

What are your thoughts on the rushees that keep coming back???? Do you look down on them because they got rejected over and over, or what?

yea I know it sounds pretty pathetic myself but I figure two years in the chapter I want would worth the shame(!)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Re: another junior-to-be here!

I'll be honest...it depends on why the girl was cut. I don't want to get into MS specifics, but it does depend. I don't know about your school, but some schools have an unofficial "cut-once, cut-always" policy. While I certainly encourage you to rush again if that's what you really want, I would think about why you might have gotten cut. If it was for something like grades, and your grades are better now, it may not be a big deal. Also, consider whether or not the sororities you want regularly give bids to upperclass women.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your decision. But it's funny...looking back on it, if I had gotten a bid from the sorority I wanted going into rush, I don't think I would have been very happy. If you absolutely don't click with the sororities, that's fine...but sometimes you might be pleasantly suprised.

Quote:
Originially posted by sorcerorstone
Hey
I am also going to be a junior this fall, and planning on rushing.
Hopefully I get a bid from where I want because that's pretty much why I am doing it again for the 3rd time. I've gotten a couple bids before but none from the ones that I wanted so I'm thinking about giving it another try.

What are your thoughts on the rushees that keep coming back???? Do you look down on them because they got rejected over and over, or what?

yea I know it sounds pretty pathetic myself but I figure two years in the chapter I want would worth the shame(!)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM

Re: Re: another junior-to-be here!

Quote:
Originally posted by SDTSarah
But it's funny...looking back on it, if I had gotten a bid from the sorority I wanted going into rush, I don't think I would have been very happy. If you absolutely don't click with the sororities, that's fine...but sometimes you might be pleasantly suprised.
I agree. If you keep saying "I only want XYZ" your tunnel vision might blind you to some really wonderful opportunities.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
And also, if you were cut from a sorority that you "really wanted" not once but twice, why would you put your hat in the ring for a third time? I mean, cut me once, shame on you....cut me twice, shame on me. Cut me a third time, well, you get the picture. I can't imagine a group on many campuses, including my non-competitive northeastern campus giving a bid to a girl who was cut twice, unless she was a grade casualty who now had at least a GPA that was at least the all sorority women's average, which is unlikely.