GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,229
3 members and 1,226 guests
g41965

Old 11-07-2014, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Going to D.C. and New York in three weeks.....

I have a bucket list of places that I'd like to see and things that I'd like to do.

Any suggestions for places/things that are off the beaten path to check out as well?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If this is your first trip to New York I wouldn't worry about "off the beaten path" unless you're going to be there for a long time. There are enough completely valid experiences right there on the path to take advantage of. Go to Ellis Island, hit one or more of the big museums (The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a favorite of mine but there are several world class museums), go to a show (or 3), walk around Times Square, Shop on Fifth Avenue, watch The Today Show or Good Morning America live. Take one of the double decker bus tours. Ask a stranger for a restaurant suggestion (don't necessarily TAKE said advice).
Old 11-07-2014, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Meridian Hill Park (Malcolm X Park) http://www.nps.gov/mehi/index.htm

Busboys & Poets at 14th and V http://www.busboysandpoets.com/about/14th-v

The Yard at Howard University (called the Upper Quad on this map) http://www.howard.edu/explore/map/Ho...p14_141003.pdf

Those are my DC nontraditional sites.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If this is your first trip to New York I wouldn't worry about "off the beaten path" unless you're going to be there for a long time. There are enough completely valid experiences right there on the path to take advantage of. Go to Ellis Island, hit one or more of the big museums (The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a favorite of mine but there are several world class museums), go to a show (or 3), walk around Times Square, Shop on Fifth Avenue, watch The Today Show or Good Morning America live. Take one of the double decker bus tours. Ask a stranger for a restaurant suggestion (don't necessarily TAKE said advice).
I agree with this. You've seen so many of these places on TV your whole life, so you might as well go and see them! My BFF lives in Manhattan, so I go fairly regularly for a tourist. I would also recommend the following.
  • Go see the tree at Rockefeller Center. I wouldn't waste money ice skating because it's expensive and crowded as all get out. The tree's size is just unbelievable in real life.
  • Walk down 5th Ave to see all of the holiday window displays. The amount of professionalism and time spent on these is impressive to me.
  • The main branch of the New York Public Library - those lions!
  • If you were an Eloise fan as a child, then The Plaza is a must.
  • Grand Central Station. The ceiling is amazing.
  • I always try to have a meal at Serafina http://serafinarestaurant.com/
  • Stop in at La Maison du Chocolat for a bite of heaven http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/en...ues.php#5/5/12
  • If you want to go the the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then plan on budgeting most of a day there...there is so much to see
  • I enjoy the Guggenheim. Even if the exhibition isn't something I'm totally into, the building in and of itself is just cool to walk through.
  • I also like the Museum of Modern Art and making a stop at their design store in Soho. Shopping in Soho is pretty cool. There's just so many cool boutiques and things to look at. Most of it is out of my price range, but I love looking!
  • Chinatown is fun for bargain designer knockoffs.
  • Visit Central Park. I never understood what the big deal was about a park until I went there. It's really special.
  • I would do a quick walk through of Macy's, so you can say that you've been there, but I wouldn't actually shop there. I made that mistake. Once. Shopping there is my personal idea of hell, but it is cool to see.
  • Times Square isn't a place that I enjoy spending a large amount of time, but I do walk through every year
  • If you were going at a different time of year, I would suggest renting a bike and biking the Brooklyn Bridge, but it can get COLD in December. I was there in December about 10 years ago, and we woke up to a temperature of 8. I had to ask my friend if they had started reporting the temperature in Celsius in NY. Then I went outside and found that they were not.
  • We go to different restaurants most of the time or cook at my friend's house, so I'll try to remember other good spots to eat.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

All great choices. And the same thing is true of DC. A person could spend days, even weeks exploring the museums there so don't waste too much time trying to live like a local. The people who live there have crazy lives of rushing from here to there with precious little time to appreciate where they are. It's just how our lives go.

There's an Ethiopian restaurant in Georgetown, can't remember the name, that introduced me to the cuisine. We had such a good time! And someone once told me you can get a grasp of world conflict by what restaurants are opening up in DC. Famine in Ethiopia? Suddenly there are Ethiopian restaurants all over DC. War in the Middle East? Look for Persian and Lebanese restaurants. I don't know if it's true, but you could catch up on international news and dine out accordingly. Just to play along.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

For DC, one thing I'm reminded of is how much DC Locals assume that Museums are free unless they are focused and obviously private(Spy, Newseum, Children's) . It wasn't the tourists who objected to the "pay if you want" little machines inside the entrances of the major Smithsonian Museums, it was the locals.

For food, if you hit the areas up north of the Mall toward Howard, I'd suggest Ben's Chili Bowl. Not off the beaten path, but worth it anyway.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I agree with this. You've seen so many of these places on TV your whole life, so you might as well go and see them! My BFF lives in Manhattan, so I go fairly regularly for a tourist. I would also recommend the following.
[LIST][*]The main branch of the New York Public Library - those lions!
You mean Patience and Fortitude? I'm partial to the "rampaging" bull on Wall Street.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 11-07-2014, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
You mean Patience and Fortitude? I'm partial to the "rampaging" bull on Wall Street.
Yep. Those.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Depending on what you're into, where you're staying, and what your budget is, here's a nice list of stuff to do in DC. I've lived here for 3 years now and STILL not hit everything, so just take your time and enjoy. Some of this will also depend on weather. I put the neighborhoods next to restaurants/bars so it makes it easier to find

Sightseeing
-Washington Monument, WW2 memorial, Tidal Basin (Jefferson, FDR + MLK memorials), Lincoln, Korean War memorial, Vietnam Wall. Lincoln at night is one of my favorite places in the city
-National Cathedral
-Iwo Jima and Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington
-Go up the Washington Monument if tickets are available
-Natural History Museum, American History but only for the flag. Most of the AH museum is under reno right now and thus rather disappointing. Air and Space is meh, the good stuff is out at the Udvar Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
-Holocaust Museum
-Newseum. You have to pay for this, but it's well worth it and will take you a solid 3-4 hours to get through. The 9/11 portion will make you cry.
-National Portrait Gallery in Penn Quarter. Houses the only complete collection of presidential portraits outside of the White House and has a killer atrium.
-Mount Vernon if you have a rental car and the weather is nice
-Gravelly Point (just off of the GW Parkway) if you have a rental car and the weather is nice
-Old Town Alexandria
-Eastern Market

Food/Bars
-Zaytinya (Penn Quarter) for Mediterranean tapas and the best pita bread you'll ever have
-POV at the W Hotel (White House) AT NIGHT for expensive cocktails but the best view in the city
-Off the Record at the Hays Adams (more expensive cocktails)
-Ethiopian: Ethiopic. Mexican: District Taco (13th & F) or Oyamel (Penn Quarter). Spanish: Jaleo (Chinatown). Indian: Rasika (Penn Quarter). Thai: Little Serow (Dupont) or Doi Moi (Logan Circle). Southern food: Vidalia (Dupont). Steaks: Rays the Steaks (Arlington, VA). Burgers: Shake Shack (Chinatown, Dupont), Rays Hellburger (Arlington, VA). Pizza: Pizza Paradiso (several locations). Retro food: Ted's Bulletin (epic homemade poptarts, Capitol Hill). American food: Clyde's (Georgetown), Old Ebbitt Grill (White House), The Hamilton (White House). BBQ: Hill Country (Penn Quarter).
-If you like beer, you must hit Churchkey (Logan Circle). If you like bourbon/whiskey, you must hit Jack Rose (Adams Morgan sort of).
-Other good bars: 1905 (U Street), The Brixton (U Street), The Gibson (U Street), Marvin (U Street), H Street Country Club (has a small DC-themed mini golf course upstairs, H Street), The Big Hunt (dive bar, Dupont), Meridian Pint (Columbia Heights), Hawk and Dove (Capitol Hill), Millie and Al's (dive bar, Adams Morgan)...the list goes on and on.

Avoid at all costs: Ben's Chili Bowl pre-3 AM, standing on the left side of the metro escalators, DC taxicabs.

Walk left, stand right, and welcome to DC

Last edited by IUHoosiergirl88; 11-07-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

For "on the beaten path" in DC, I'd recommend going to the sightseeing around the White House/mall/etc. then having oysters at Old Ebbitt Grill. Then get to the POV on the top of the W Hotel around 8, have one expensive drink, and take in the views. Afterward there are some less expensive bars in the area...The Hamilton sometimes has some free, good music in their Loft area. Cap City Brewing Company isn't too far from there either (closer to Metro Center).

Rose's Luxury in Southeast/Barracks Row is like the hottest restaurant in the world right now, they were named Bon Appetit's Best New Restaurant in the country and all the critics love it. They don't take reservations and waits can be long but you can get there early, put your name in, then head to another bar nearby for a drink, and they'll text you when your table is ready.

The National Arboretum on NY Ave NE is a bit off the beaten path and is gorgeous. Red Hen is a well regarded place nearby and there are bars and restaurants on H Street as well. Red Hen isn't too far from the Metro, but you may need to cab or Uber elsewhere.

The Gallery Place/Chinatown area is pretty vibrant when there's something going on at the Verizon Center. Most of the places around there are chains, but if you have time it can be worth talking a walk around and grabbing a drink. I think Poste Restaurant in the Hotel Monaco out there is putting a fire pit in their courtyard in the next few days, that could be worth a stop.

Depending on where you're staying, don't worry about going out to Arlington or Alexandria, there's plenty to do in town and you won't be able to do it all.

Have fun!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The Frick Collection in NYC.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

For New York:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=141943

@~/~~~~
Old 11-08-2014, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Hannah View Post

Rose's Luxury in Southeast/Barracks Row is like the hottest restaurant in the world right now, they were named Bon Appetit's Best New Restaurant in the country and all the critics love it. They don't take reservations and waits can be long but you can get there early, put your name in, then head to another bar nearby for a drink, and they'll text you when your table is ready.
OMG LIL' HANNAH HI.

Rose's Luxury is freaking amazing. We went on a Monday, got there at 5:30 to put our names on the list, had a drink nearby and they called us by like, 7:15. Well worth the wait.

My sister IUHoosierGirl is on point with recommendations. My favorite restaurants are Rasika (the original is in Penn Quarter, but there's a newer one in West End that's sometimes easier to get a reservation) and Zaytinya (but you can't go wrong with any of the Jose Andres places). Ted's Bulletin is more casual and really fun, with a huge menu.

My visitors have raved about drinks at the Hamilton and Old Ebbitt (very "DC"). The main selling point for POV is the view, I really can't stand the bar. I'm a bourbon drinker, so my usual spots are Jack Rose, Bourbon or Barrel.

Things to see: Newseum is my favorite museum and everyone I've taken there has loved it. Eastern Market is fun on a Sunday. And for off the beaten path -- my favorite monument is Roosevelt Island. It's an island with trails and a monument to Teddy Roosevelt in the middle, accessed via the GW Parkway.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Avoid at all costs: Ben's Chili Bowl pre-3 AM, standing on the left side of the metro escalators, DC taxicabs.

Walk left, stand right, and welcome to DC
During rush hour, generally closer to run left, walk right, but at least they understand if you are standing right.

If you stand left during rush hour you will get you run over and then Harry Reid, John Boehner, and nuns will spit on your corpse. (Of course the nuns were probably the ones who trampled you. )

Oddly enough another recommended place to "visit" is the trip *over* the Potomac on the subway between L'enfant (pronounced Launfaunt with *both* n's slightly nasalized) Plaza station and Pentagon station on the yellow line.

On that subject, the escalator at Wheaton Station (in Maryland on the east side of the Red Line) is the longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere. Not that much worth seeing near the station, but if you are looking for off the beaten track, it is sort of interesting and inside the fare gates (and as long as you don't go through the fare gates you aren't charged).

Note, the maps that they have of the system in the cars and at the stations are *nowhere* *near being to scale. The stations downtown are blocks apart, the ones out in the suburbs a mile or more.

And the doors on the Metro trains are *nothing* like elevator doors. They don't spring back open if you put an arm in. If you are *lucky*, the train operators will reopen the doors so you can get your arm out, if unlucky, you've broken the doors and the train will have to offload everyone. (at that point the nuns in the above paragraph will come after you!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
If you stand left during rush hour you will get you run over and then Harry Reid, John Boehner, and nuns will spit on your corpse. (Of course the nuns were probably the ones who trampled you. )
I have been known to loudly clear my throat, sigh, or glare at people who stand on the left if I'm only moderately in a hurry. If there's a train coming and I need to make it lest I wait for 15 minutes...I will loudly tell you to please move to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
And the doors on the Metro trains are *nothing* like elevator doors. They don't spring back open if you put an arm in. If you are *lucky*, the train operators will reopen the doors so you can get your arm out, if unlucky, you've broken the doors and the train will have to offload everyone. (at that point the nuns in the above paragraph will come after you!
THIS.