GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,431
1 members and 2,430 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
OMG LIL' HANNAH HI.
Howdy! I still read the boards, but everything is blocked at my new-ish job, and I never bother to post on my phone.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If you visit the Newseum in DC don't miss the fantastic view of the US Capitol from the terrace on level six.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 PM

NYC:

I second Maman's suggestion of the Frick. It's a beautiful collection, but small enough that you won't get "museum'd out" before you've viewed everything.

Also, visit the Morgan - Madison Ave @ 36th St. Amazing library (including 3 Gutenberg Bibles), study, rotating exhibits, and a restaurant. (They offer a "Three Martini Lunch" - three mini martini glasses with either gin or vodka - one with a lemon twist, one with an olive, and one with a tiny onion. The glasses are so cute )

Browse through the Fifth Avenue stores, especially Tiffany. At Tiffany, skip the main floor (always jammed, especially near Christmas) and head upstairs and browse through the engagement rings, silverware, and table settings. (Side note to any ladies who have Tiffany engagement rings: Go up to the sixth floor (repairs, restringings, and such) and they will clean your engagement ring for free.)

Be VERY careful if you go to Rockefeller Center to see the tree. Last year, my elderly mobility-impaired father nearly got trampled more than once. It's also prime grounds for pickpockets and purse snatchers.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I second basically all of the things for DC. My additions:
-Taxis can suck in DC, and they rarely know where anything is. All cabs are *supposed* to take credit cards, but not all of them will. If you need to call a cab, use Uber. If you're in touristy areas, you can probably find a cab or use the metro.

-My favorite thing I've done with out-of-town guests is a 3+ hour walking tour by Walk of the Town DC. (www.walkofthetowndc.com) It's run by a retired teacher, it's FREE (donation recommended - I suggest $20), the guy is amazingly informative, and he provides snacks. If you're at all a history nerd and can handle being on your feet for several hours, you'll hit almost all of the major monuments and memorials. You don't actually walk that far, but you are on your feet a while. I've done this tour twice with guests, and loved it both times (and so did my friends).
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If you'll have a car in DC, I suggest a daytrip to Annapolis. It's just down the road and you can get a great tour, do a little shopping, and grab lunch.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Lots of good DC recs. I'll just add a few thoughts. (Oh, and "Walk left, stand right" is no joke.)

I haven't been to Rose's Luxury (pregnancy and baby will really cut into a gal's social sched), but I love Little Serow. However, it's important to understand that the menu is fixed -- no substitutions, no choices, no nothing -- so look it up online before you commit. They post the weekly menu every Monday. Also, on a weekend, you need to get in line super early. They only have set seatings and a limited number of four tops.

I liked Doi Moi, too. But Le Diplomate is my favorite in that neck of the woods. It's not as hot as it was a year ago, which is great. Old Ebbitt is more for the cachet than the food, IMO. I also love Oyamel (Jose Andres, can't go wrong) -- Alton Brown was just there.

Ethiopian food is a must-do in DC. I like Ethiopic on H Street (and then you can cruise a few blocks over to get pie at Dangerously Delicious) and Etete near U Street. U Street is also home to Ben's Chili Bowl. If you're craving steak, I like District Chophouse.

Ford's Theater is fun if you like Civil War history. I also like going to the Supreme Court and the American History museum. Although I have to say, my favorite thing is the Antietam battlefield (Sharpsburg is ~45 min away).
Old 11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'll just add one item to DC, with the caveat that I've never been there in the fall/winter seasons: The Hillwood Museum. It's full of artifacts collected by Marjorie Merriweather Post, from the Hapsburg Wedding Veil to Faberge Eggs to jade in every color and beyond. Make sure you go to their Tea House, if you indulge. It's a bit more girlie-girl than some other museums, but is truly amazing.

If you have a chance to get to some of the local plantations (I'm a Mount Vernon junkie), try to take in at least one. It puts history into a new perspective. Doing Old Town Alexandria and Mount Vernon on the same day would be good.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
the doors on the Metro trains are *nothing* like elevator doors. They don't spring back open if you put an arm in. If you are *lucky*, the train operators will reopen the doors so you can get your arm out
I have seen more than one person try to cram onto a very full Metro car, and have the doors close between him and his backpack with the backpack outside the car. Just wait for the next car.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughtful and wonderful responses! I am definitely going to have a great time, and plan to enjoy doing so much during my trip, involving many of the suggestions from all of you.

Keep an eye out for pictures and a trip report.

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaGirl1908 View Post
I have seen more than one person try to cram onto a very full Metro car, and have the doors close between him and his backpack with the backpack outside the car. Just wait for the next car.
This happened to me when I was boarding a car on the Tube in London while I was studying overseas. I felt like such an idiot. Lesson learned, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Very similar thread-Good NYC info within it. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=york