GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

So I am a little late to this... but I just wanted to echo what everyone else said to AuburnMom08. I also wanted to add that it's completely feasible that your daughter could possibly keep those 4 houses through the next rounds. Perhaps many houses will have a tendency to cut sophomores earlier rather than later if the chapters know that they will not be taking a significant number of non-freshmen. Personally, if there are going to be heavy cuts at all, I think earlier cuts are preferable (more merciful??) than late cuts to avoid stringing along any girls who "have their heart set on" anything.

Again, good luck to your daughter (sounds like she has the right attitude) and all PNMs in Auburn!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, tangelo.

We will know in the morning which, if any, of the 4 want her back for the skits. Both she and I have heard from several disappointed transfer girls and moms, the most I've heard of any transfer girl getting invited back to is 6.

I'll keep y'all posted. She doesn't have any parties today, she has to meet her group back this afternoon to go on the computers and rank the houses again and then they are going to eat. We moved her in Saturday afternoon and she hasn't stopped since so I'm glad she is getting a break. And this will give her a chance to find a nail shop and get a nail she broke while moving in repaired lol.

Last edited by AuburnMom08; 08-13-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

An update for those keeping up with AU...

The girls are in their last party of this round right now, my daughter just left to go meet her Pi Chi at the computer lab to do the rankings.

Skit day is tomorrow and I'm sure they'll get their envelopes in the morning. Tuesday she got hers about 7:30 a.m. - they can go to up to 6 parties and I'm not sure if they rank or get invited again after this round or if they do it after pref day. If anyone can fill me in?

Friday is preference day aka black Friday - 3 parties and then a long wait. Bids are distributed at 5:00 p.m. Saturday - either way I plan to be there!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so very excited for your daughter and you!^^
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
An update for those keeping up with AU...

The girls are in their last party of this round right now, my daughter just left to go meet her Pi Chi at the computer lab to do the rankings.

Skit day is tomorrow and I'm sure they'll get their envelopes in the morning. Tuesday she got hers about 7:30 a.m. - they can go to up to 6 parties and I'm not sure if they rank or get invited again after this round or if they do it after pref day. If anyone can fill me in?

Friday is preference day aka black Friday - 3 parties and then a long wait. Bids are distributed at 5:00 p.m. Saturday - either way I plan to be there!
I loved the way that parents are invited to bid day at Auburn! Although I was not with m daughter since she was with her Pi Chi group, you can still feel the energy of the moment and watch your daughters face. There were lots of parents present which was really great because some girls needed consoling and encouragement to give their house a chance. I loved being able to hug and congratulate my daughter and she was really happy to be able to share the moment with me. After they get their bids you are invited to the chapter room for refreshments and I highly encourage you to do this! You get to take lots of pictures and meet some of the girls she rushed with, but mostly it gives you a reference base for future conversations with your daughter...you won't be totally clueless! I want to add that all of the girls that I knew who were disappointed on bid day ended up giving their chapters a chance and all are now super happy and can't imaging being any place else! I know one girl who got the pre-bid day phone call letting her know she had no bids and that was probably because she suicided.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes I am excited that I will be there either way, good news or bad news. I'm going to kick myself if I forget my camera...she has one but it's not as good as mine.

If she does get a phone call on Saturday I hope she doesn't get it until I get down there. She has called me a million times this week and 5 minutes ago when she called she said something about we'd have to hurry Saturday and go do our shopping so she could get ready for bid day. I told her that even if we didn't get to go to bid day (meaning, no bid) we'd go out and celebrate on our own and she was fine with that too. Don't get me wrong, I WANT her to get a bid but I also feel that I should realistically prepare her that she might NOT get one.

As of today she only has 4 to choose from and if she keeps those she said she'd accept a bid from 3 of them. The 4th, not because she thinks its not good enough but simply because she said she didnt feel a connection with any of the girls she met there - which means they probably won't invite her back anyway..I know the odds are stacked against her but I'm hoping for the best outcome for her, even if that means being an independent.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
As of today she only has 4 to choose from and if she keeps those she said she'd accept a bid from 3 of them. The 4th, not because she thinks its not good enough but simply because she said she didnt feel a connection with any of the girls she met there - which means they probably won't invite her back anyway..I know the odds are stacked against her but I'm hoping for the best outcome for her, even if that means being an independent.
Recruitment isn't over yet. She might feel a connection with that 4th one. I wasn't sold on my chapter until round 3 and pref.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

That's true! She definitely went in with an open mind so you never know.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Best of luck everyone, remember, at the end of the day, your daughter can only get ONE bid!

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

AuburnMom08, just want to say what a great attitude you have, and your daughter is lucky you are supportive and respectful of both her emotions and her independence. You are a good example for her (and for other moms)

Hang in there! Here's hoping for that one special connection and bid!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

AuburnMom08, with a great mom like you, your daughter will do just fine! My daughter went through it at Bama last year, wasn't totally sure she was thrilled with her bid because of a similar lack of connection at the parties, gave it a chance, and is now on the other side of the coin as probably the most gung-ho sister in the house. Good luck to her, and to you!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

i hope that auburndaughter08 gets 4 invitations today-maybe sorority #4 will absolutely knock her socks off. we on gc have seen that happen many times.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile get your camera and your wallet

Hello all those Auburn moms out there, put your camera in your car right now so you won't forget it! Also grab your wallet, becuase you will be heading off to Heartstrings, the cutest little store with a second floor full of fun greek stuff! An arm full of flowers can be fun too!
If your daughter gets 4 invites back, tell her to go to all 4! Remember with over 100 girls in each sorority, she might have been paired up with one who had trouble making conversation. there are duds in every sorority, but there are also GEMS in every sorority! It also only takes one good pledge class to turn a sorority around- and it can also take one questionable pledge class to hurt the sorority!
Even if your daughter is a little disappointed on bid day because she didn't get her first choice, really encourage her to hang in there, and remember Jeremiah 29:11
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I am trying not to let it get the best of either of us!

I love heartstrings, tnmom, we went there on our 2nd visit to AU.

I have spoke to her again after she got her nails done and she told me her Pi Chi told them one of 3 things would happen in the morning. 1. If they have no invites back she will call them. 2. If they have invites but their party times are later in the day she will text them the time and 3. If they don't hear from her to meet her in their usual place in the morning at 7:45.

GUESS WHO IS GOING TO BE ON PINS AND NEEDLES UNTIL THEN!?!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and the Pi Chi told them that they need to be prepared, that round was the biggest cuts.

Last edited by AuburnMom08; 08-13-2008 at 08:12 PM.