GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,296
0 members and 1,296 guests
No Members online

Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

People to People Student Ambassadors

So, my daughter is very interested in this program and I haven't found anybody local who knows someone who has done it. So, I thought.. lots of people on Greek Chat who may know something about this, why not ask there? She'd be 14 when she went on the trip, would attend the European Discovery program. She's been a very responsible kid.. 4.0 GPA, marching band, Girl Scout, NJHS, church youth group. But, I'd really like to hear from somebody who has been on one of these trips or knows someone first hand who has.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through the interview process and received a spot; however, back 11 years ago, it was around going to be $5K for the trip. They say you can fundraise, but my parents weren't exactly comfortable with that. Ultimately I pulled out for financial reasons.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
A friend's daughter went this past summer and had an awesome time. She's a little older than your daughter as she is 16. My younger cousin was to go on the same trip but had a schedule conflict. She was able to defer until next summer. The cost is still in the $5000 ball park and like APhi Sailorgirl said, they tell you about fundraisers but no one that I know did that.

I can tell you that in another club to which I belong, we get sporadic requests from kids. We can't afford to foot their whole bill but sometimes we can give them a little something. All we ask in return is that they come and speak at a luncheon when they get back.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not worried about the cost so much because my mother passed away last month and I'm getting some inheritance. I was thinking about doing something special for each of my kids with some of the inheritance (in addition to putting away a big chunk for their college educations), and I think this would qualify. She had just hit me with the idea out of the blue and I had never heard of it so I've been researching.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I am sorry about your mom.

This would be a wonderful opportunity for your daughter. She'll visit places and experience things that many only get to read about. How great iis that to have that firsthand knowledge. If you decide to move forward, the organizers hold monthly meetings to prepare. These meetings are for both kids and their parents so everybody is on the same page. I don't know anyone who has been dissatisfied with the program.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine in high school did the Australia program and absolutely loved it.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Two friends of mine were a part of the program during multiple summers and they never had any regrets!!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Compare it to other tours though . .. I don't remember it being cheap. And I am not sure you get that much more than you would through another program . . or even a privately set up trip.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_...ssador_Program

Quote:
People to People is not a very choosy organization and rely on academic listings to invite a student with no reason for nominating them other then being on the list the independent marketing company has purchased. The company represents the children as 'specially chosen' when in fact they were only a name on the mailing list. This has caused several children to be disappointed and about 40 complaints to Consumer Affairs.[1] However of the children that did take the trip only 1 complaint has been lodged. It seems the trips are more a travel experience than a privileged academic one.[citation needed]

The Iowa Supreme Court recently reviewed a case in which a woman was contacted by this organization on behalf of her son who had died years earlier. As a result of this attention, descriptions of selection criteria have been updated by People to People.[2]. In a similar situation a dead cat (who had been deceased for 10 years) named 'Earl Grey' was invited to study abroad by the program as well [1]

Similar to the above requirements for students, teacher-leaders themselves are screened, interviewed and background checked prior to appointment.[citation needed] As with all people entrusted with student travelers, it is highly recommended that parents get to know the leaders prior to travel. Students attend a series of orientation meetings prior to traveling so there is much opportunity for parents to get to know the teachers as well as for students to get to know one another.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I saw that on Wikipedia. My daughter didn't receive an invite in the mail but her friend did and it said that she could bring a friend to the information meeting. My daughter was upset that she wouldn't have received an invite and I told her that they probably just bought the names from some mailing list and she shouldn't be upset about it. The Wikipedia entry just confirmed that. I signed up on a scholarship information website and she has been getting college recruitment stuff in the mail and she's only in 8th grade!

We're going to go to the informational meeting on Sunday and see what they have to say. It can't hurt to get more info. I have also found a couple at work who were familiar with the program/knew someone who had attended and thought it was worthwhile also. Thanks for the feedback! I knew GC would have some info. Keep it coming!

ETA: I'm particularly curious about the possibility of high school or college credits if she does some coursework before/after.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
I got an invite and really wanted to go on the trip to Australia but my family couldn't afford the pricetag. I was bummed until my hometown decided to send students to our sister city in Japan, and I got picked for that, which was free!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my students went on a trip this summer for People to People since I wrote her a recommendation this past year. She loved it and took tons of pictures. It is definitely worth it!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
One of my friends did the Eastern European trip the summer between freshman and sophomore year of high school. She had an amazing time.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I went on the Australia/New Zealand trip with People to People the summer before 9th grade. It was an amazing experience! I fundraised every cent, and I think they did a good job of using the money wisely. We went to all kinds of locations, fed dolphins, stayed at a Maori village, snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef - things you just don't do on a normal vacation. I think it's a great opportunity to have a little freedom in a very safe setting and start behaving like an adult. I will say if I could do it again, I may have waited a few years, since at 14 you're still concerned with cliques and boys - even the most mature of us.

I don't believe any credit comes out of the program, but it's a "resume-builder" until she has more experience. Also, recommendations from the leaders and building networking skills with the other students is a helpful tool for the future.

Your daughter sounds like a great candidate. The initial invite seems random, but they definitely interview you and make sure you're really mature enough to handle yourself in another continent without Mom and Dad. Good luck to your daughter!!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

People to People is a great, albeit expensive way to travel. It is not an EC-worthy activity and will NOT get your kid into prep school or college.