GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,569
1 members and 2,568 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sooners coach resigns over racist remarks

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...llcoachresigns

*sigh*

what I don't like is the bs he said in the resignation letter about it not being representative of his personal values yada yada yada. Come on now. If that were trie none of this would have happened.

Last edited by Phasad1913; 05-02-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Sooners coach resigns over racist remarks

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913

what I don't like is the bs he said in the resignation letter about it not being representative of his personal values yada yada yada. Come on now. If that were true none of this would have happened.
Exactly!! Sooooo why would you say something you didn't believe in?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

He said he's a "good black kid" right? Was there more than that?

I don't see what him being black has to do with anything but is it racist in your opinions?

-Rudey
Old 05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Based upon the article he said something else but they won't say what.

Quote:
Cochell used the slur after praising African-American freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan before Tuesday's game against Wichita State, which was carried on ESPN2 and ESPNU. Later, in an interview with color commentator Kyle Peterson, Cochell also said, "Dunigan is a good black kid."
I don't see why he had to point out that the player was Black either.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

I don't see what him being black has to do with anything but is it racist in your opinions?

-Rudey
Making racial and ethnic minorities who achieve exceptions of their race is a classic racist tactic.

I will say his comments were stupid and insensitive. I don't know the coach to say he is racist and we may never know his intentions.

Sidebar: Even if his comments had racist motivations and he is a racist, it doesn't make the coach a bad person. Contemporary racism isn't about "bad people."
Old 05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Based upon the article he said something else but they won't say what.

I don't see why he had to point out that the player was Black either.
You never know. Common phrases like "I'm gonna beat your white/black ass" are used often by people of all races. It's not like he said all blacks are bad and this kid is good or anything.

But yeah, you're right, he probably said something else and we can't see what it is.

-Rudey
Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You never know. Common phrases like "I'm gonna beat your white/black ass" are used often by people of all races. It's not like he said all blacks are bad and this kid is good or anything.
"Good black kid" entails that he is more than a good kid, he's a...good black kid.

What makes a "good black kid" better or more rare than a "good kid?"
GreekChat Member

The article I initially read on this came from ESPN.com and you can find it here: http://www.greeksource.com/gcforums/...threadid=66153
GreekChat Member

Another article

Uh...he said a ittle more than he iis a good Black kid.

Baseball coach Cochell hasn't been suspended

ESPN.com news services

The University of Oklahoma is conducting an investigation after ESPN informed the school of racially-insensitive comments made to the network by OU's head baseball coach Larry Cochell.

Although Cochell remains head coach, assistant coach Sunny Golloway will serve on an interim basis until the matter is resolved, according to a statement released by the school. Golloway coached the Sooners in their 8-1 loss to Nebraska Friday night.

Tuesday, before the telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on ESPN2 and ESPNU, Cochell used a racially-insensitive term in off-camera interviews with ESPN to describe Sooners freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, an African-American.

Cochell was speaking with play-by-play announcer Gary Thorne when he called Dunigan over to praise him for staying in school. When the freshman returned to the field, Cochell told Thorne, "There's no n----- in him." The network informed the school that Cochell used similar language in an interview with ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson.

University officials weren't informed of the remarks until 4 p.m. Friday, when they were contacted by ESPN, according to school's statement.

"It is widely known that one of the most important values of the University of Oklahoma and its leadership is to celebrate diversity as a strength," athletic director Joe Castiglione said. "This university is a place where everyone is respected. Clearly, if these comments were made they run contrary to the core values of this institution and we will treat them very seriously."

Cochell, who has been head coach since 1991 and led the Sooners to a College World Series title in 1994, couldn't immediately be reached Friday night for comment.

In a statement released by the university, Cochell apologized for his remarks.

"I am deeply sorry for any pain or embarrassment I have caused for any individual or the university. Our university family is totally committed to equality and mutual respect," he said. "I personally hold those values and will always regret that my careless use of language did not reflect my own values, and it certainly did not reflect the values of the University of Oklahoma."

Cochell was in the dugout Thursday night when Oklahoma beat Nebraska 5-1 in Big 12 Conference play.

He coached at Oral Roberts, where he took the team to seven NCAA regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 1978.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
The article I initially read on this came from ESPN.com and you can find it here: http://www.greeksource.com/gcforums/...threadid=66153

Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I figured it was the "n" word. That'll get cha fired EVERYtime,lol.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Re: Another article

That doesn't change anything.

-Rudey
--I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmie1913
Uh...he said a ittle more than he iis a good Black kid.

Baseball coach Cochell hasn't been suspended

ESPN.com news services

The University of Oklahoma is conducting an investigation after ESPN informed the school of racially-insensitive comments made to the network by OU's head baseball coach Larry Cochell.

Although Cochell remains head coach, assistant coach Sunny Golloway will serve on an interim basis until the matter is resolved, according to a statement released by the school. Golloway coached the Sooners in their 8-1 loss to Nebraska Friday night.

Tuesday, before the telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on ESPN2 and ESPNU, Cochell used a racially-insensitive term in off-camera interviews with ESPN to describe Sooners freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, an African-American.

Cochell was speaking with play-by-play announcer Gary Thorne when he called Dunigan over to praise him for staying in school. When the freshman returned to the field, Cochell told Thorne, "There's no n----- in him." The network informed the school that Cochell used similar language in an interview with ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson.

University officials weren't informed of the remarks until 4 p.m. Friday, when they were contacted by ESPN, according to school's statement.

"It is widely known that one of the most important values of the University of Oklahoma and its leadership is to celebrate diversity as a strength," athletic director Joe Castiglione said. "This university is a place where everyone is respected. Clearly, if these comments were made they run contrary to the core values of this institution and we will treat them very seriously."

Cochell, who has been head coach since 1991 and led the Sooners to a College World Series title in 1994, couldn't immediately be reached Friday night for comment.

In a statement released by the university, Cochell apologized for his remarks.

"I am deeply sorry for any pain or embarrassment I have caused for any individual or the university. Our university family is totally committed to equality and mutual respect," he said. "I personally hold those values and will always regret that my careless use of language did not reflect my own values, and it certainly did not reflect the values of the University of Oklahoma."

Cochell was in the dugout Thursday night when Oklahoma beat Nebraska 5-1 in Big 12 Conference play.

He coached at Oral Roberts, where he took the team to seven NCAA regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 1978.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

-Rudey
The rest of that quote was "There are honkies and white people. And there are n-----s and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."
Old 05-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
The rest of that quote was "There are honkies and white people. And there are n-----s and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."
So this brings up a good point.

If this coach insulted both whites and blacks, is he a racist?

I'm not saying he is or isn't ignorant.

Just based on this comment, that discusses black and white people, then how does it make him seem?

-Rudey
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
Interesting distinction. Didn't Chris Rock say something similar?