GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-08-2001, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Importance of Recommendations!!!

Quick question. First I will tell the situation where you can get the feel of my school. I know a lot of other schools are bigger and rush seems to be extremely competitive from what I have read. My school has 9 national sororities. It's not a huge school so only about 200-300 girls go through rush every year. I think the biggest advice I've taken was to go into it with an open mind. I most certainly will. Through my bf the past year I was only introduced to a certain sorority you know hanging out and at parties. It is sort of just given that its the only sorority I should join. And I really want to. I've been reading up and it's first on the list, but I will see how it goes. Ok, my bf's sis is alumni and she said she would write me a recommendation and that I will get in no problem. Ok, I actually know 2 other alumni that are willing to write me recs also, but I didn't know how important they were to have or if there was any priority with them. Will those be impressive? I know alot of other big schools do the whole you have to have recs and an outstanding resume, but its a little toned down where I'm going. So could you give me some advice bout the recs? Should I go for all 3 or is that too many? And do they really take them into consideration? Thanks! I will keep you posted. Remember how it was when you went through rush? That's how I'm feeling!

Cristina
Old 08-08-2001, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm assuming that the 3 women are all from the same organization. Originally I said to only get one rec, which would be from the person who knows you best, but after thinking about it, I think it would be better to get recs from all 3. The reason being that you don't know what they are going to say about you, and one could mention something about you that the others failed to mention. Plus, the more people that think you would be a great sister, the better off you are.
The better a person knows you, the more personal the rec can/will be. Plus, it helps the longer the person has known you. Recs can be pretty important depending on the school...I know my chapter really takes them into consideration. They allow us to get an idea about a girl beforehand, as well as letting us know of a great girl that we may want to pay more attention to. Well, I hope this helps! Good luck with Rush!

------------------
Whitney

[This message has been edited by Laine4JC (edited August 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Laine4JC (edited August 09, 2001).]
Old 08-09-2001, 12:41 AM

Talking

Having been on my chapter's bid committee, I advise you to take and use the three recommendations that are being made available to you. Anything that makes a potential new member stand out from the crowd (in a positive way, of course!) is always a good thing.

One thing I would like to mention, however, is your boyfriend's sister's assertion that you will "get in, no problem". The bids are decided upon by the bid committee. It is a group decision so no one person can ever guarantee a bid to someone. I've seen girls who were promised bids suicide that house (i.e. put only that house on the pref card)only to find that they had been cut and therefore had no bid at all waiting for them. I'm not saying that would happen to you! Just be wary of promises like that.

I think it's great that you're going into rush with an open mind, I'm sure it will be a great experience for you! Good luck and remember to follow your heart and instincts; they will always lead you home.

------------------
@~Tracy~@

"...For it's just the flame of a sister's love, that makes the world go round."

[This message has been edited by KillarneyRose (edited August 09, 2001).]