GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,386
0 members and 1,386 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Dumb rec question.

Hey all,
Ok, so I've never written a rec before. I have a really dumb question, and I apologize in advance.

I was asked about a month and a half ago for a rec. Competitive school, but not SEC. She was a relative of an acquaintance so I said sure, but let's email back and forth a couple times so I know you're not a total psycho. No problem. She seemed super sweet. So I wrote one, no problem. I told her it was done, heard nothing. Waited, then asked my friend. Apparently, as my friend apologized a bit to me (he wasn't in Greek life), the girl said she didn't give a you-know-what about my group, she was just told to get all the recs, and she wouldn't join my group if her life depended on it. Well. I wasn't happy. So, what to do? Can I rescind my rec? Just write another that's a no rec? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure her behaviour in the parties will reflect her attitude. She'll take herself out of that mix. I'd leave it be. Unless of course you wrote her a glowing rec with TOP RUSHEE MUST PLEDGE in red letters across the top. In which case, you'd need to contact the chapter adviser.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Titchou - let it be. If she doesn't care, she'll give off a negative vibe.
But... Who knows? Maybe she'll change her mind, once she's met the members.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
I agree with Titchou - let it be. If she doesn't care, she'll give off a negative vibe.
But... Who knows? Maybe she'll change her mind, once she's met the members.
Yeah, probably will. Thanks. Was just pretty disappointed about her lack of class and attitude over the whole thing.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I would send a follow up note to the chapter outlining what the girl said and let the chapter decide what do with it. I guess I am a vindictive old alum, but if she wouldn't join Kappa Delta if her life depended on it, then she doesn't need a rec to my beloved Kappa Delta from me. So there, entitled bitch!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Hey all,
Ok, so I've never written a rec before. I have a really dumb question, and I apologize in advance.

I was asked about a month and a half ago for a rec. Competitive school, but not SEC. She was a relative of an acquaintance so I said sure, but let's email back and forth a couple times so I know you're not a total psycho. No problem. She seemed super sweet. So I wrote one, no problem. I told her it was done, heard nothing. Waited, then asked my friend. Apparently, as my friend apologized a bit to me (he wasn't in Greek life), the girl said she didn't give a you-know-what about my group, she was just told to get all the recs, and she wouldn't join my group if her life depended on it. Well. I wasn't happy. So, what to do? Can I rescind my rec? Just write another that's a no rec? Any help would be much appreciated.
Too bad you can't share what school and who she was. I'm sure many alumnae of the various NPC organizations would not want someone with such little class joining their organizations. I certainly wouldn't want someone like that in mine. I think that many women forget, as recruitment approaches, how much we all talk to one another and are actually friends. I have friends from pretty much every NPC organization. If any of them were treated poorly by a PNM, I would make sure that my organization knew about this young lady who does not know how to conduct herself respectfully to their fellow NPC sisters.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

At least the school and where she's from and allow gcers to pm you. This behavior should not be tolerated.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
At least the school and where she's from and allow gcers to pm you. This behavior should not be tolerated.
This is why I like you so much! You read my mind.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you didn't hear it straight from her, I wouldn't address it. People have commented time and again on this board how young and naive they were during recruitment when they thought they knew it all. This could be your friend's relative repeating what she's heard before recruitment even begins, not fully understanding the impact of her words. I would hate to ruin her chances before she gets to possibly have her own "aha" moment, when she realizes that her preconceived biases don't match reality and she regrets having ever said what she did. She could end up being a wonderful, mature leader in 4 years (or not...but let it be her own undoing).
Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ_Turtle86 View Post
Since you didn't hear it straight from her, I wouldn't address it. People have commented time and again on this board how young and naive they were during recruitment when they thought they knew it all. This could be your friend's relative repeating what she's heard before recruitment even begins, not fully understanding the impact of her words. I would hate to ruin her chances before she gets to possibly have her own "aha" moment, when she realizes that her preconceived biases don't match reality and she regrets having ever said what she did. She could end up being a wonderful, mature leader in 4 years (or not...but let it be her own undoing).
While I agree, to some degree, let me play devil's advocate. We typically say that it's important to have a good character to join a group. At least thank the person that wrote a rec. You may favor one over another because of whatever reason (this girl knew no one in her family who was Greek, so no legacy) but you should be a decent enough person to not give a big FU to the person that tried to help a bit. Plus, I completely believe my friend, and actually think that he dialed it down a bit to soften exactly all she said to spare my feelings. Just a hunch, as he won't go into it, but I trust what he said was spot on. There's a difference between being young and not knowing any better and being young and acting in a way that would be very unbecoming of any sorority woman. Just my $.02.

Thinking of responding to PMs from established GC members that ask for details.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I've been thinking about your situation. I believe that I would find out who the recruitment and/or general advisors for the chapter are and phone them or send them an email telling them that you have further info on this PNM and want to revise your recommendation to a no rec.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't report a "she said-he said" middleman report. I'd let it go.

Just to be clear, you didn't actually tell her "let's email back and forth a couple times so I know you're not a total psycho." Right? Or, say that to the middleman friend? Because who knows what he has said to her. If she heard that, she might have been offended. Like you're offended. Maybe the friend is stirring you both up.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I wouldn't report a "she said-he said" middleman report. I'd let it go.

Just to be clear, you didn't actually tell her "let's email back and forth a couple times so I know you're not a total psycho." Right? Or, say that to the middleman friend? Because who knows what he has said to her. If she heard that, she might have been offended. Like you're offended. Maybe the friend is stirring you both up.
No, of course I didn't say that to anyone. Plus, I believe my friend. He does not stir stuff up. Plus, I've emailed her, reaffirmed the rec was sent, and it's been radio silence from her. A thanks would've been nice. (Edit: Or a no thanks, I changed my mind, sorry.) But I hear I went through it for nothing, that i put my own name on a rec for someone that I'm embarrassed to recommend to a chapter of my sorority, then yeah, I'm kind of peeved.

Last edited by AnotherKD; 07-12-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added a portion
Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope she's really not just being a Bratty McBratterson because one of my bridesmaids was a KD and all the ones I've met have been fabulous women. She should feel honored if they offered her a bid.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The PNM is what? 18 years old? Please.

IMO we should just sit back and let the bids fall where they may.

Related story: a woman, upon learning where my brother lived, remarked "If I lived there, I'd kill myself." He calmly looked her in the eye, and politely said "What a funny thing to say. Whatever do you mean by that remark?" She turned bright red, and said not another word.

Point: people say really stupid things all the time. Let it go. One 18 year old's opinion of my sorority doesn't mean anything to me. My inside voice is saying to the 18 year old "Whatever" (with a sigh, and very slowly rolled eyes).