GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,139
2 members and 1,137 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating while walking?

At work I've found a considerable range in the opinion that people have on eating while walking. Some of us, including myself, find absolutely nothing wrong with eating while walking just about anything that doesn't actually require fork and knife to cut things up. Others get nauseated eating anything more complex than a candy bar/cereal bar while walking.

Where are you on this topic?

To make it more concrete, if a store offered to pay for your food/drink every day for a week with the requirement that all food/drink had to be consumed while moving at a standard walking pace, would you take them up on it?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 PM

After 20+ years of ALF training, I can basically eat anything while walking, sometimes with an umbrella in hand.

And if that store was in a place that has consistently nice weather, then yeah, what the heck.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all really talk about this at work? LOL

I have eaten while walking. I don't go out of my way to do it, though. Just depends on what I'm doing/where I'm going.

ETA: After reading 33girl's response, I wonder: are you talking about "exercise" walking, or walking period?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
ETA: After reading 33girl's response, I wonder: are you talking about "exercise" walking, or walking period?
Walking period.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

this is interesting. my mother HATES this and would curse our souls when we were younger. I'm sure if i did it around her now, shed be upset.

i have no problem with it but im trying to stop, as i imagine its not really attractive. plus, it doesnt really help the fat girl's case if she's scarfing a sandwich down on the go.

at the same time, i suppose it depends on what type of food. i figure a candy bar/ice cream cone/can of soda is no big deal. but burgers, fries, burritos, wraps... then there's room for people to feel some kinda way.

what about on public transit? I know DC's metro has a strict food/drink policy but you could probably eat a 3-course meal on NYC transit and no one would bat an eye.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
at the same time, i suppose it depends on what type of food. i figure a candy bar/ice cream cone/can of soda is no big deal. but burgers, fries, burritos, wraps... then there's room for people to feel some kinda way.

what about on public transit? I know DC's metro has a strict food/drink policy but you could probably eat a 3-course meal on NYC transit and no one would bat an eye.
I used to live on Miami transit and yeah, they have a no food/beverage policy. Often, my only chance to eat was while traveling on my 2 hour commute (each way) to and from school. I've taken everything from a cereal bar and carton of milk to a Tupperware container with last night's leftovers, dessert and a drink. I've eaten to-go food from a restaurant on the bus but I quit doing that when people starting coming up to me asking for money or food.

As for the original question, I'd rather sit and enjoy a home cooked meal with family and friends than walking around eating some sort of fast food concoction.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I don't mind eating while walking but I try not to because I'm painfully clumsy. I can't even eat sitting down without accidentally dropping food or drink on my clothes or even flinging it across the room while gesturing.

I also run into walls, drop things on my feet, close my fingers in drawers, etc. My problem is that I'm usually lost in deep thought and I lose coordination and fine motor skills.

Walking and eating at the same time would probably be hazardous to those around me.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

TACKY!!!!!!! Mama Senusret would NEVER!!!! Nor would I!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What interesting water-cooler convos you have at work!

This is one of those topics where I have an opinion, but I don't think I've ever actively formed that opinion. So I have to wonder why that's the opinion I have.

Sen used the word I wanted to use - tacky. There are very few occasions where eating while walking is necessary or acceptable, IMO. I guess it just seems rude.

*walks away from her desk to ponder this some more*
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as I'm concerned, it depends on where you are and what kind of food it is. Eating a hot dog or whatever else while you walk around at the fair -- completely normal and acceptable. Eating a slice of pizze while you walk down the street on your lunch break -- maybe not so much.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating a piece of chicken from a plate in your sorority jacket? Yeah, no bueno.

I feel like I told this story before, but tried to help this chick understand how bad she looked walking around in her sorority jacket eating a chicken leg.

"What, Deltas can't eat chicken? I'm a Delta now so I can't eat chicken?"

I just walked away.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post

This is one of those topics where I have an opinion, but I don't think I've ever actively formed that opinion. So I have to wonder why that's the opinion I have.
Well put - I concur.

I think its acceptable in certain situations, like a street fair, but otherwise no. Ice cream would be another appropriate exception. I like to enjoy eating, so I think you should do that seated.

ETA: Deltas can't eat chicken LOL
Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it depends on where you are and what kind of food it is. Eating a hot dog or whatever else while you walk around at the fair -- completely normal and acceptable. Eating a slice of pizze while you walk down the street on your lunch break -- maybe not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I think its acceptable in certain situations, like a street fair, but otherwise no. Ice cream would be another appropriate exception. I like to enjoy eating, so I think you should do that seated.
Agreed. Street fairs, carnivals, some receptions w/ hors d'oeuvres, football games, and any place that serves ice cream are all ok in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

I feel like I told this story before, but tried to help this chick understand how bad she looked walking around in her sorority jacket eating a chicken leg.

"What, Deltas can't eat chicken? I'm a Delta now so I can't eat chicken?"

I just walked away.
Of course Deltas can't eat chicken. Even I knew that.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
LOL.

See... i just read this line and thought, has Sen been hanging with the Ques again? SMH

Then again, a plate never stopped them from said chicken-eating. Or chuckin the bones on the ground.

ETA: and more LOLZ because you clearly said "sorority jacket" and reading is fundamental.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Or chuckin the bones on the ground.
Where else would they go?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.