GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,434
1 members and 1,433 guests
naraht

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesNCream View Post
I'm paranoid because I am not a legacy and I don't have any recommendation letters, and I hear the horror stories about IU recruitment all the time. But I have found that all the houses do an amazing job of recruiting and I just fell in love with so many houses.
You don't have recommendations? Why not? You can't help your non-legacy status, but recs are a thing you could control for the most part. Most PNMs aren't legacies, but at competitive schools nearly everyone has recs.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Well that's the thing, because no one in my family has ever been in a Greek organization I had no idea that recs were even beneficial to the recruitment process until I got to Bloomington. I was also back and forth about whether I wanted to rush and didn't decide I want to for certain until October. Finally, since I'm new to this whole thing, I had always assumed that recs HAD to be written by your family who were legacies. And now obviously it's kind of late... oh well.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

19 party was last week. It was freezing, but so much fun! I feel like it went really well. I talked to so many great girls, heard so many stories, and had some really good conversations. Cant wait until January!

CookiesNCream:
When I asked my rho gamma about letters of rec, she said that they werent a huge factor in recruitment. The most beneficial part of rrecs would have been the pre-rush events where you would be invited to have dinner at that chapter. This helps the chapter remember the PNM, but shouldn't give them higher preference over the girls without recs.

My rho gam also said that she went through recruitment with any letters of recomendation, and that it ended well for her

Good luck with the rest of recruitment!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies who are rushing-

I can't speak for every chapter at IU. But at my chapter, recs have VERY LITTLE to do with how we select our members. Because we have bed quota, my chapter can only take 50-60 members a year. With this set number compared with the 1500 pnms out there, we are more concerned with getting the best possible pledge class out of that hugeeeee number, thus having a rec, and in many cases, being a legacy, have little effect on our final decision.

I did not have a recommendation for my chapter, nor was a legacy.

But I did have numerous recommendations as well as legacy status at another house. That chapter dropped me after 3 party. So my being a legacy and having letters of recommendation, which were actually from several women placed very highly in the national organization of that chapter, had NOTHING to do with me getting a bid.

Note:: I'm really happy that this chapter did not give me a bid. My best advice to potential new members is to follow your heart independently of everyone else. A lot of the reason why I liked chapter X was because my mom is very involved with the organization and I really wanted to share that with her. While I do still wish I could have shared that with my mom, I feel very lucky to be in my chapter. All the way through rush I loved the house, but I never ranked them #1 because of my mom. However it was always the house I knew would be the best home for me.

So follow your heart and make your own decisions! If you have any other questions please let us know
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I just want to point out that, as a PNM, you don't actually know if you have a rec to a chapter. Chapters do solicit recs, and alumnae do write recs unprompted. It's not the norm, but it happens.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I just want to point out that, as a PNM, you don't actually know if you have a rec to a chapter. Chapters do solicit recs, and alumnae do write recs unprompted. It's not the norm, but it happens.
this.

and iugreekgirl, maybe your legacy chapter could tell that you were just not that into them. glad you found the right home for you!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGreekGirl View Post
Any new chapter that extends would not get a house.
So we're hoping the survey is a good indication of a potential chapter's success.

Ok please forgive me if this is a dumb question...but at a school using Bed Quota, how will quota be determined for the group that is unhoused if they have no beds to fill? Sorry I know I'm probably overlooking something I just don't see how that will work.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiTigergurl View Post
Ok please forgive me if this is a dumb question...but at a school using Bed Quota, how will quota be determined for the group that is unhoused if they have no beds to fill? Sorry I know I'm probably overlooking something I just don't see how that will work.
They'll probably use an average of the other 19 - like if one house holds 120, one holds 110 and one holds 90, quota would be 106.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

And my guess is this chapter would be unhoused initially but working like crazy to get one. Although it's possible they could succeed at IU, I think being the oddity would add an obstacle they'd rather not face. Even getting a "lodge" type facility would be something, and could probably be attained by buying a regular house on or near campus, should one ever go on the market.

I hope something can be worked out. It's a shame for so many interested gals to lose out on such a great lifetime experience.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Even getting a "lodge" type facility would be something, and could probably be attained by buying a regular house on or near campus, should one ever go on the market.
No. This won't work either.

If the school is straight up saying "you won't get a house" - I would take that as gospel forever and ever amen - not wait for one of the fraternities to eff up and lose theirs, or for land to magically appear. Any group that comes on thinking "we'll get one eventually" will most likely be screwed.

(This applies at any big Greek school that doesn't give a colonizing group definite housing plans - not just IU.)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, it looks like the university is opening up land to build a new fraternity house for Fiji (Phi Gamma Delta) so maybe there is a possibility of them adding space for another sorority as well.

When Kappa Sigma built their new house, the university originally offered them the land that is occupied by the tennis courts across from Sig Ep. That might be a perfect place for Fiji, and if not, at least a new sorority!

The university actually offers options on financing the construction of fraternity and sorority houses (that's partially how Beta paid for their new mansion!) but the catch is that if you default, the university gets your land and house.

There are some odd spaces here and there on the extension that might hold a house if they're designed right. From what I understand, the problem now is that houses MUST have so many parking spaces per beds if they want to be built (as opposed to the old houses that are grandfathered in with tiny parking spaces). This is why certain sororities and fraternities on the extension share parking lots (owned by the university), and why a larger plot of land is needed for new houses being built.

I realize I'm rambling on but my point is that, yeah, there is a tiny chance that the university could open up land for a new sorority. Very tiny though because they're holding out on where to put the houses in the center of campus when they eventually buy them to make way for academic buildings.

I cant wait to see which sororities present for expansion. I wonder if Sigma Sigma Sigma will try again. I think it would be awesome if Sigma Kappa made a return.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp2k View Post
, there is a tiny chance that the university could open up land for a new sorority. Very tiny though
And there you have it.

Any sorority that comes in believing the "tiny chance" they might get a house is nuts. Any group that presents needs to know they are going to be an unhoused chapter, and if anything changes that, well, it's kind of like counting on winning the lottery.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

There's one thing I don't understand: if a chapter doesn't have a house, where would you hold meetings, events, etc? My chapter only has 25 and its hard enough to find appropriately sized spaces, I couldn't imagine looking for 100+ :0
Old 12-16-2010, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
The Indiana Memorial Union is a popular place. I know that APO makes good use of it and all sorts of other groups do too. They have rooms of all sizes, from small conference and meeting rooms to Alumni Hall, which has a capacity of 650 people. (We had our 80th Anniversary banquet in that room - it is huge!) Many groups, including APO, have offices in the Student Activities Tower at the IMU - this is handy for storing stuff! There are also rooms in the academic buildings that are used evenings and weekends (We used to have chapter meetings in one of the large lecture rooms in Jordan Hall, and we've met at the business school too.) Many of the dorms also have large multipurpose rooms - the Flame Room at McNutt is especially popular. There are also some restaurants and banquet facilities off campus.

There's definitely no lack of meeting or event space.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The IMU would definitely be the place to hold chapter meetings. It's hoped for that any chapter that extended to IU would be able to get a floor in one of the dorms for housing.