GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,472
2 members and 1,470 guests
babobygooglet93, John

Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

JHU Sigma Chi "Halloween in the Hood Party"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/...alloween_party

I wonder what will come of this...

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not quite sure I follow the story... Was the fraternity suspended because of the language used in the invitation, because of the skeleton hanging from the noose, or because of the name of the party? Or, was it a combination of the three?

I can understand how this could cause some racial tension, but it doesn't seem like the BSU handled it appropriately when they held a mock lynching of the skeleton.

Either there are big gaps in the story or I'm simply too tired to fully understand it. Or maybe both, I dunno.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

"Marvin "Doc" Cheatham, president of the Baltimore branch of the NAACP, said he intends to explore legal action against both the fraternity and the university."

What is the crime upon which legal action could be taken? Is a skeleton or a pirate racist? Is it the word "hood"? I am playing devil's advocate here. I just want to be clear on what the issue is. Excuse my naivete.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow the story... Was the fraternity suspended because of the language used in the invitation, because of the skeleton hanging from the noose, or because of the name of the party? Or, was it a combination of the three?

I can understand how this could cause some racial tension, but it doesn't seem like the BSU handled it appropriately when they held a mock lynching of the skeleton.

Either there are big gaps in the story or I'm simply too tired to fully understand it. Or maybe both, I dunno.
Apparently, it was a combination of the three.

Also, the BSU didn't hold a mock lynching of the skeleton (if I read your post right). The held up a picture of the skeleton and an old picture of a lynching.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

my reaction to this entire situation is:

OH, PLEASE

This is an overreaction by the BSU, the university, NHQ and NAACP.

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok... that makes more sense. I read the story too fast, and didn't pay enough attention. But, I still don't get the connection. Lots of people have skeletons hanging around on Halloween - did I miss another connection between Sigma Chi's skeleton and a lynching? I mean, was there a confederate flag on the skeleton, or a kkk hood or something like that? (Not trying to be dense - really - I just don't understand why the BSU responded with the lynching thing.)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
I am playing devil's advocate here. I just want to be clear on what the issue is. Excuse my naivete.
Playing devil's advocate usually means that you understand yourself but are just trying to get people to question the accepted side of the argument--for the sake of argument.

Topic:

I love Sigma Chis but I wish people would operate under the "if it isn't a necessary theme and has the potential to offend anyone, do something else" rule.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Things like Halloween, Christmas, and Easter parties have the potential to offend Pagans, Jews, Muslims, and people not of Christian faith. Should we not have those either then?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Ok... that makes more sense. I read the story too fast, and didn't pay enough attention. But, I still don't get the connection. Lots of people have skeletons hanging around on Halloween - did I miss another connection between Sigma Chi's skeleton and a lynching? I mean, was there a confederate flag on the skeleton, or a kkk hood or something like that? (Not trying to be dense - really - I just don't understand why the BSU responded with the lynching thing.)
This could just be a case of how people's perceptions are their realities. The "hood" plus the "bling bling" plus the "skeleton hanging" conjured up images. If it had been a different theme with skeletons hanging then there probably wouldn't be protest.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Things like Halloween, Christmas, and Easter parties have the potential to offend Pagans, Jews, Muslims, and people not of Christian faith. Should we not have those either then?

Bad analogy.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Like William Brody, I am also deeply disturbed. Sigma Chi should be suspended from Johns Hopkins forever because of what they did. I mean, who says "bling" anymore? And what the hell is "ice ice"? "Hoochie Hoops"? It's a free country, but what the hell is up with using terms that weren't even that cool six years ago? It probably would be a lot less offensive if the chapter members did some actual research on their theme. I mean, those guys could easily get positions at BET if they didn't date themselves as much as they did.

Okay on a serious note, I wonder how the actual party turned out. I'd love to see some pictures. Before I was greek, I got turned away from some "hood" or "ghetto" themed fraternity parties. That irony stung harder than the actual stereotypes. I'm still protesting BET. Just because they aren't a GLO doesn't mean they don't promote the same ignorance. I'm so mad I can barely ramble.

The king has spoken
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenGod01 View Post
Like William Brody, I am also deeply disturbed. Sigma Chi should be suspended from Johns Hopkins forever because of what they did. I mean, who says "bling" anymore? And what the hell is "ice ice"? "Hoochie Hoops"? It's a free country, but what the hell is up with using terms that weren't even that cool six years ago? It probably would be a lot less offensive if the chapter members did some actual research on their theme. I mean, those guys could easily get positions at BET if they didn't date themselves as much as they did.

Okay on a serious note, I wonder how the actual party turned out. I'd love to see some pictures. Before I was greek, I got turned away from some "hood" or "ghetto" themed fraternity parties. That irony stung harder than the actual stereotypes. I'm still protesting BET. Just because they aren't a GLO doesn't mean they don't promote the same ignorance. I'm so mad I can barely ramble.

The king has spoken
I will not argue that my brothers at JHU did something thoughtless and stupid. In this day and age, no matter that they probably did not intentionally mean to defame or debase another culture, they should have known better. That being said:

* I do not think that banning them 'forever' is a punishment that fits the crime. It was incredibly stupid. They should have known better. Did they intentionally decide: Hey, let's suggest that black people should be lynched? I doubt it. Alternate scenerios: Have them present a forum on racial relations. Have them volunteer at an organization that supports either the African-American community or any other group.

* As a white man, I can never fully comprehend the pain and hurt of the history of lynchings. I can empathize, but that is it. Teach them. Let them learn from their mistake. This reminds me of one of the seasons of "The Real World". One of the white house members made some very racially hurtful statements. One of the African-American female housemates treated him in a very disdainful manner, no matter how he apologized. The African-American male housemate made it his mission to educate the white housemate and show him where his thoughts were wrong. Should we still have to do this in 2006? Ideally not; in reality, yes.

Again, it was a stupid thing to do. It is not justifiable. Should they be punished by being banned forever? I hope not. Teach them where they went wrong and how to avoid it again.

PhrozenGod, I hope you accept my thoughts and feelings in fraternal spirit. It hurts me that any member of my fraternity would intentionally or unintentionally degrade another culture.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, maybe I wasn't playing devil's advocate. I really didn't understand what the issue was. Now I do ... the combination of the elements can be misconstrued, but was that the intent? Again, if I am being naive, let me know.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Ok, maybe I wasn't playing devil's advocate. I really didn't understand what the issue was. Now I do ... the combination of the elements can be misconstrued, but was that the intent? Again, if I am being naive, let me know.
I don't think the intent was to be offensive because they probably did not discuss the offense factor. However, the outcome is the only thing people can go based on since we can't be 100% certain of the intent beyond what we are told.

I think the Sigma Chis should be told how the combination of elements COULD BE offensive and told to be more careful in the future. Perhaps a verbal warning of sorts but with an educational spin. I don't think any other action is necessary because the point, when people unintentionally offend, is to educate and not to punish.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I will not argue that my brothers at JHU did something thoughtless and stupid. In this day and age, no matter that they probably did not intentionally mean to defame or debase another culture, they should have known better. That being said:

* I do not think that banning them 'forever' is a punishment that fits the crime. It was incredibly stupid. They should have known better. Did they intentionally decide: Hey, let's suggest that black people should be lynched? I doubt it. Alternate scenerios: Have them present a forum on racial relations. Have them volunteer at an organization that supports either the African-American community or any other group.

* As a white man, I can never fully comprehend the pain and hurt of the history of lynchings. I can empathize, but that is it. Teach them. Let them learn from their mistake. This reminds me of one of the seasons of "The Real World". One of the white house members made some very racially hurtful statements. One of the African-American female housemates treated him in a very disdainful manner, no matter how he apologized. The African-American male housemate made it his mission to educate the white housemate and show him where his thoughts were wrong. Should we still have to do this in 2006? Ideally not; in reality, yes.

Again, it was a stupid thing to do. It is not justifiable. Should they be punished by being banned forever? I hope not. Teach them where they went wrong and how to avoid it again.

PhrozenGod, I hope you accept my thoughts and feelings in fraternal spirit. It hurts me that any member of my fraternity would intentionally or unintentionally degrade another culture.
First off, my bad. I was too sarcastic in talking about some very serious issues. Even though I have never been to that campus, I can truly understand how members of the BSU feel, but also feel that the national scrutiny into the incident is a pretty significant consequence for ignorance. There are probably a couple of chapter members who are extremely embarrassed that they are "that racist frat". I can picture one of your bruhs going home for that weekend to see his fam, and then coming back on monday wondering why his chapter is featured on Yahoo News, and not for any good reason.

I feel as though your solutions or alternatives are much more constructive than a slap on the wrist, pocketbook, or charter. If the sigma chi chapter actually did something proactive to help out black people, or anyone who really needs help in the community, then they could probably learn something more than just outdated slang. They might actually put some thought into their future party planning and have those same BSU members jealous that they didn't think of it first.

It's probably a little too late for that situation to be perfectly smoothed over, but I balk more at the ignorance and not so much at the intent. I mean, the chapter had to have more than just the three people who apologized at the press conference. Like other posters have said, someone within the org should have proofread the facebook invites so that their event would seem both wild and classy at the same time.

Oh, and which season of "Real World" was that? God, I wished I had tried out for that show.