GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,501
1 members and 1,500 guests
Tridentia

Old 03-20-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
I beg to differ in regards to the topics of hazing or pledging. In fact when I think about it, they are a lot alike.
Hey PiKA2001,

This is what I mean:

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Certainly the military is in the hazing business, but the hazers (DI's, etc) may be a little more mature than the average fraternity man (or sorority woman). They all have several years of military training themselves which probably creates some amount of that maturity. Additionally, while sometimes calling for "creativity" on the part of the DI, the military has the training down to a science and many years of "experience." The people doing the hazing are, for the most part, highly disciplined -- not the case in an organization of 18-22 year old college students away from home for the first time.

Not the same thing and why collegiate hazing is so much more dangerous.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I was hazed when I pledged a local sorority. I was not physically harmed, or forced to drink, but I still consider it hazing because I was humiliated, talked down to, and the actives carrying it out were being rude and just plain mean about it. The most disturbing thing seemed to be that they enjoyed it. My pledge class was small, and they all seemed to be able to shrug it off and pretend that nothing had happend, but I couldn't. I de-pledged and I don't regret it. I couldn't even look at those girls, let alone call them my sisters.I certainly didn't feel closer to my pledge class, and I definatly didn't want to be friends with the actives after that incident.

If you want to call someone your sister/brother, why do you want to treat them like that?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

To add yet another facet to this whole discussion.... think of all the activities that our orgs can no longer do for fear of them being deemed hazing....
Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ecupidelta
To add yet another facet to this whole discussion.... think of all the activities that our orgs can no longer do for fear of them being deemed hazing....
Like telling ghost stories?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ecupidelta
Like what?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Like what?

I think that it's a sorry state of affairs when you want to do something as simple as strip a pledge, pour chocolate sauce on her and stake her out on a red ant hill until she can recite the greek alphabet backward, and panhel gets all up in arms and starts yipping about "hazing".

But that's just me.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I think that it's a sorry state of affairs when you want to do something as simple as strip a pledge, pour chocolate sauce on her and stake her out on a red ant hill until she can recite the greek alphabet backward, and panhel gets all up in arms and starts yipping about "hazing".

But that's just me.

Agreed. And don't even get me started on the goat ban.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think anyone's suggesting something like that KR -- and that you can even come up with that stuff is a little scary.

Most of the hazing that I've seen (although, my chapter never engaged in a bit of it) was people being yelled at, forced calisthenics, difficult tasks to do in a short amount of time.

Heck, some of the stuff I've heard about has actually sounded pretty cool. On the other hand, I've heard of some pretty dangerous (stupid) things that some chapters have engaged in.

I'm sure most of y'all are pretty familiar with your respective organizations' policies on hazing. Do you think they go too far? I mean, I can see trading swats, bows and toes, etc. as unacceptable, but line ups and some tasks that would pass for hazing under most of our policies get me to question them a little bit. How far do they need to go?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 03-21-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd like to note here that the college-aged boys I know are remarkably capable of getting themselves into trouble, sans fraternity or sports team.

And I say "boys" because I don't know of any 19 year old girls who made a potato gun and took turns firing it at an angle at a railway train.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
I'd like to note here that the college-aged boys I know are remarkably capable of getting themselves into trouble, sans fraternity or sports team.

And I say "boys" because I don't know of any 19 year old girls who made a potato gun and took turns firing it at an angle at a railway train.
Being 19 and bored is not a very good combination.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

But you guys think of things girls would NEVER EVER think of. Like handcuffing your drunk friend to the front porch overnight.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

What I was refering to were things that I had read on other threads on this topic which were similar to things I encountered as a pledge. When I got my big sis I went on a scavenger hunt to find clues at a variety of locations before it was revealed. That was fun and I was not harmed in the least! Now, scavenger hunts are deemed hazing b/c there are individuals that will take things way too far. If I had ever had things poured on me, thrown at me, etc. there is no way I would have joined my group!! That has no purpose and serves no value. But going on my big sis hunt is a whole different story. I bonded with the girls in my group b/c we got to share that fun together while we ran all over town looking for clues and trying to put it all together and see if we were actually right It's unfortunate that such fun and harmless activities have to be done away with b/c of a minority of people.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah good point

but not only that

we only got to wear our pledge buttons once the whole time b/c they said making us dress up to wear them was hazing. That's BS we should have got to wear it more.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
yeah good point

but not only that

we only got to wear our pledge buttons once the whole time b/c they said making us dress up to wear them was hazing. That's BS we should have got to wear it more.

That's the kinds of things I'm refering to. It's an honor to wear your pledge pin but since a minority take things to the nth degree, that is now a taboo thing to do. That is the true issue with hazing laws.... they are written so broadly that everything falls under hazing even though the intent of the laws was to stop the beatings and things like that.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
yeah good point

but not only that

Over here wearing your pledge pin while wearing a canadian tuxedo was strictly forbidden.