GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,573
3 members and 2,570 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, SilverTurtle
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Question What has GC taught you?

I was thinking about everything I've learned on GC and was wondering--what has Greek Chat taught you?

I came here right after my oldest daughter rushed and since Pi Phi wasn't at her school, pledged another GLO. It's a great GLO! It was her first choice all week! However, I was still mourning the fact she wasn't a Pi Phi and then I discovered GC.

Over the past several months, I've learned so much. As a former Panhellenic advisor, I knew of course about the pride that other people had about their GLOs but I've seen it demonstrated here!For some reason, I never thought about other women loving their GLOs too and wanting their daughters to share that bond, those traditions, and so forth.

I only knew women from the GLOs we tend to have at big Southern universities. I didn't know any Alpha Phis, ASAs, Tri Sigs, AEPhis, D Phi Es...now I have tons of friends here from all those groups and know about their traditions...it's been fabulous!

I still do want a Pi Phi daughter(at least one out of 9, please God!) but I can finally say I'm at peace with whichever group they choose. I can't believe I ever wasn't. Thank you, Greek Chat.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Nine?

Bless your heart....
how many are currently in school?
i've learned that you guys are a bunch of terrific and very compassionate folk.
that's neat
mmcat
Old 01-19-2002, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

mmcat--

13 kids, with 12 in school and 1 too young! We love it!
Old 01-19-2002, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
My god carnation, 13 kids thats unreal . . I would have trouble keeping one pet alive . . . Are you trying to singlehandedly dominate the human gene pool?
Old 01-19-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by James
My god carnation, 13 kids thats unreal . . I would have trouble keeping one pet alive . . . Are you trying to singlehandedly dominate the human gene pool?
lol, James!
Old 01-19-2002, 03:30 PM

Now that's a big family, carnation!! My husband will be lucky to get 2 kids out of me!

I'm glad I've had the opportunity to "meet" so many great folks from different GLO's, especially those that weren't represented on my campus.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I too have been lucky enough to meet people and learn about a lot of different GLOs. I have also learned more than I can say about the history, and day to day operations, of the greek system as a whole.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I've learned what it means to be greek.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool wow!!!

carnation....13!!!
more power to you.
lol
mmcat
Old 01-19-2002, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What has GC taught you?

I have learned a few things from GC:

1. Think before you speak (post).
2. That each and every Greek group is special and elite--because we're all Greek!
3. To consider others' opinions more and think about where they are coming from.
4. That we all share a very special common bond and that we need to work together to build up the image of Greeks as a whole, instead of tearing each other down.

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I was thinking about everything I've learned on GC and was wondering--what has Greek Chat taught you?
Old 01-19-2002, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Not the whole gene pool, James...five were adopted from overseas!!

But TechAPhi reminded me of something else--that we're all Greek together. I was most impressed by the way the Greeks here banded together last year to support a certain GLO and I've been moved by the way that the GCers help each other with problems concerning rush, alums, chapter support, and so forth.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
God Bless You, carnation! You have my vote for mother of the year! I'm familiar with large families since my great grandmother had twelve children who survived birth. This was in Ireland from 1904 to 1929. Now when we have family reunions, over one hundred of my relatives attend. Just something to look forward to in the next few decades.
Back to your question: GC has taught me that greeks all over the country and the world have so many of the same concerns and are willing to offer words of support, encouragement and advice. The greek world everywhere is full of quality, generous, intelligent, and creative individuals.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:58 AM
UMgirl

What GC Has Taught Me....
-That I love my GLO and being Greek more than I thought I ever would.
-What it really means to be Greek (like Optimist stated)
-That I have sisters wherever I go that care for me. (Even though I wasnt an AGD for 4 years, Id like to thank the AGD's on here for making me feel like I was one forever)
- More about the histories of NPC, NIC, NPHC and locals.
That every GLO is unique and even though we all may disagree at times thats what makes them all great.
- Finally that its Greeks like the ones on here that keep the system alive and kicking and won't let it die out.

Carnation..how many boys and how many girls? Im sure you'll get your Pi Phi legacy Who knows you may even have your own lil panhellenic!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I read this topic yesterday, and have been thiking about it. BTW, this IS an excellent question. For the most part, I would echo everyones' comments. Yet, the MOST important thing GC has taught me/given me is insight into my son. The young men on this board are so open and sincere with their feelings and I can see my son facing many of the same situations. I can read him so much better and know (most of the time) when to take a step back and the difference between voicing concern and nagging-well, I'm working on the nagging.

It's also been beneficial to me because letting my daughter go has been he HARDEST thing I've ever done in my life. So, in my mind, I've adopted you all.

Your successes and disappointments, your quirky styles and the way you share yourselves- has endeared you guys to me. Even though we don't agree on everything (wouldn't that be a bore!)
the different perspectives exchanged opens the mind and and the heart a little bit more.

(Ideal08-please share yourself and post here from time to time)
Old 01-20-2002, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everyone, lol!

While in college, we tend to focus on our own Greek organization and, sometimes ( get into "who's superior on campus and who's not". After graduation, we have more opportunities to learn about the other Greek organizations and find that we are more alike than different. (Sort of like real life, lol!)

I like that little ole me in South Metro Atlanta may have an impact on future Greeks in the North Georgia by hooking up Carnation with other Georgia Panhell. that can come and "spread the word".

GC has enabled me to grow closer to Alpha Gamma Deltas across the country. I've met Lisa and re-introduced her to Katie. They were both at the same AGD chapter but had lost contact.

GC allows AGDs to show support for our fraternity when someone or a certain chapter might need moral, financial or other kinds of uplifting.

Of course, in Chit Chat, you never know what dicussions you will find (and maybe should avoid, lol).

Was it Patrick Henry or some Colonial guy, that said something like "I may not agree with you, but I will defend your right to say it"...

Greekchat is great way to gauge the strength of our organizations, our nation, our world, and us as individuals.

(Whew...!)

Last edited by AGDLynn; 01-20-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Closed Thread