GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,069
3 members and 1,066 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-19-2002, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

How to expand?

Here's a question for all the GLOs.

We all seem to want our orgs to grow, and we all want to be strong where we are geographically weak right now. But beyond that, what do you think is the right growth strategy? For example, should a GLO try to expand only to schools with the highest ceilings, to the best academic schools, to schools where Greek life is new? How aggressively should they expand? Should a GLO expand at all if chapters are folding due to numbers, or should it protect what it has already? Should it put more emphasis on recolonizing closed chapters? Is it important to expand internationally (to Canada) if you are US-only now?

This is something I've discussed with my sisters before. Large schools will produce more members and alums with fewer chapters. The best schools will produce alums of fame and fortune. By being "first in the door" at a school you have the chance to get strongest first. Basically, all of these strategies have something in their favor. But what do you think is the best strategy in general, or do you think different orgs should produce different strategies? (I mean, if we ALL will only colonize at big state schools, kids at other schools will be a hugely uptapped niche).

If this message isn't succint, well, I'm getting a cold and am woozy!
Old 09-19-2002, 04:46 PM

Re: How to expand?

Should a GLO expand at all if chapters are folding due to numbers, or should it protect what it has already?

No. Take care of your own first. Don't have a 4th child if you can't support the 3 you already have. Colonies take up a lot of time and resources...resources that could go to help the chapters that have been around for 10/20/50 years. Yes, maybe a colony doesn't have the "battle scars" of an old chapter, but sisterhood is supposed to be about doing the right thing and the caring thing, not the easy thing.

Should it put more emphasis on recolonizing closed chapters?

Yes. There are a lot of alumnae wounds out there due to closed chapters, as we have seen on here. When the time is right, if it's between reopening a closed chapter and opening a new chapter, this shouldn't even be a question. Too much history of our GLO's has been lost due to hasty and faulty decisions.

Is it important to expand internationally (to Canada) if you are US-only now?

Perhaps the Canadian universities would be more friendly to the idea of Greek life (as I understand they largely are not) if more groups chose to come there. But then again, a lot of groups don't want to come to an unfriendly environment. Chicken, meet egg.

Best strategy in general? DIVERSITY. If your GLO says "we only expand at small/big/private/public schools" that is not a niche. It is a box which you will find yourself trapped in. Fraternities perhaps can get away with this more than sororities since there are, simply, more of them...but if a sorority starts passing up great opportunities because "we've never done that before" or "that's not our niche" you best get the hell out of the NPC.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Just my 2 cents worth

Should a GLO expand at all if chapters are folding due to numbers, or should it protect what it has already? An older, established chapter . . . even if low in numbers can still be a strong assest to an organization. An established chapter can contain very active and committed sisters and expanding can divert needed resources from these chapters to new ones. I am a believe in protecting what you have and expanding when on firm footing.

Should it put more emphasis on recolonizing closed chapters? I am always happy to see a new chapter (it's very exciting!) but I know that I am soooooo much more excited to see a closed chapter recolonized. It's like we're regaining a piece of our history.

That depends on your current situation. Some organizations don't have the resources to feasibly expand to another country . . . although my org. is designated international we have no chapters outside of the U.S. I can only imagine the huge amount of time, energy, and money that it would take to get a chapter in another country off the ground and quite frankly I don't think we can spare the resources right now.

How aggressively should they expand?
We encourage our sisters to speak to people they know at schools where my org. isn't established and possibly help them to fill out the paper work. Other than this, it is their responsiblity to approach us with a completed application to become a colony. I would assume that this is to ensure that we're not pushing in at a school where we're really not wanted.

For example, should a GLO try to expand only to schools with the highest ceilings, to the best academic schools, to schools where Greek life is new?
Every school has it's strengths and weaknesses, just as every chapter does. Just as each school is unique, each organization is unique and each chapter is going to be unique in it's own way. I think that variety is the spice of life and it's important to have a wide base in many different types of schools.

*whew* . . . that might be a little more than 2 cents, but thanks for reading!

Emily
Old 09-25-2002, 12:28 PM

bump
Old 09-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Banned

I think natural growth is best. If you're setting up colonies in uncharted territory, there is a higher risk of failure. Not only that but if they don't die off, then they have to work much harder than other chapters. The new initiates would have to work ten times harder because they won't be given proper support. Do you really want to treat new sisters/brothers in this manner?

My take is that if there are ten schools in West Virginia and you have chapters on 9 of those schools, then it's safe to say that going for number 10 is a good idea. The regional support matters in terms of alumni, connection to high schools, and in terms of brothers/sisters who will be willing to help set up this new colony. You waste much less resources on something like this than going to a school without much support and without much experience.

Oh and make sure that this new chapter would be wanted there. It doesn't make sense to start a chapter which doesn't fill a niche really or when houses on campus are already fighting for a handful of new members.

-Rudey
Old 09-25-2002, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

no more than four new chapters a year. Go back and reestablish gone chapters. That is what we are doing now.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Re: Re: How to expand?

Should a GLO expand at all if chapters are folding due to numbers, or should it protect what it has already?

NO! Never overextend your resources! Our chapter was having huge isses last year and Kappa was colonizing one other chapter in Ohio. They gave us tons of love and care and attention and resources, just as much as they put into the new chapter at John Carroll. I think Kappa's self-imposed limit is one colony per year. To me that makes sense.

In general, I'd be hesitant to ask a GLO onto campus if I looked around and saw chapters folding all over the place. Sure, they might take care of us while we're new, but what happens 20 years from now?

Should it put more emphasis on recolonizing closed chapters?

Yes! I talked to so many women at Convention whose chapters had closed. They missed being able to go back, to keep in contact with current chapter actives, etc. I'd much rather regain a piece of Kappa history. To me there's nothing sadder than a chapter's closing. If/when my school goes to expand, I'm going to pull as hard as I can for ACW, PBF, or KD. Each of them had chapters here a while ago, and I know that LU alumnae would be thrilled if they came back.

We are international. I know that for Kappa, expanding has a lot to do with alumnae in the area. So if a bunch of Kappas want to move to Canada and help open a chapter, then great! But Kappa's not going to put a chapter out there and leave it hanging without alumnae support. We have plenty of chapters with no alumnae in the area. We don't need any more.

I'd like to see Kappa expand into smaller, liberal arts schools like my own. Preferably one in Wisconsin, so we can be the Big Sister Chapter! I say this only because when I went to Convention, so many women from big/state schools were shocked when they heard about my school's situation. But that's just me...
Old 09-25-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Billy, You are absolutly right on!

We are doing the samething but trying to intermix New Schools as is TKE!

It needs to be a mix of the old and New!

Manythings change each year or decade!

You are on top, oops you are the bottom! It will happen to us all!

What We have To Offer is the greatest experience in the world No Matter what the Name is!

Why are we all here? There are as many Alums as Actives!

LX Z # 1
Alumni