GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,223
3 members and 1,220 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned

It looks like the high school group called upsilon theta. They had a couple chapters in the NY and CA areas.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Can anyone identify this badge?
Thanks, all! I think I've figured it out.
THIS Theta Upsilon was a local at the Univ. of Utah, started in 1902. Chi Omega was the first NPC group to enter the campus in 1914 and absorbed this group. This pin is today worn by the Chi Omega President at Utah.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

Cool! Funny how similar badges of some groups can be. There was a high school group called upsilon theta whose badge was a shield shaped pin with the letters on it. I've never been able to find an example, but merely had a description.
Glad to know about this and I can knock it off the list of possibilities for this group.

And also cool that the president of the chapter wears the pin. Are there any other groups out there whose story is similar? I mean are there any other chapters if any groups where the local badge is used by the chapter? I would love to think that all groups did this, but know its probably a rarity....

BG
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
And also cool that the president of the chapter wears the pin. Are there any other groups out there whose story is similar? I mean are there any other chapters if any groups where the local badge is used by the chapter? I would love to think that all groups did this, but know its probably a rarity....

BG
I'm amazed that it hasn't been lost at some point during 100 yrs, but maybe having it connected to a Chi Omega pin has kept it safe -- like as in a guard.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't use this thread for selling/advertising sales. You know that. You yourself have listings on etsy as The Fraternity Guru.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 04-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Sorry, i deleted the posts.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Since the posts were deleted, I don't know if they were advertisements. I always enjoy the historic notes from Badge Guy.

If you enjoy badges as art and as history, you might be a collector. I enjoyed collecting before gold tripled.

If these badges were not for sale to collectors, they would be melted down. I am glad the collectors save these pieces for history.

The "pins on loan to the member during their lifetime" rider does not go back to the early days of badges. Also, the expectation that the families of members send pins back to the HQs is one-sided in my opinion. Well, the fact that the families have sold their parents' badges vs sending them to the organizations speaks for the heir's side.

It is wonderful that most organizations treasure and display their historic badges. If they don't already have an historic badge, they can only acquire it if it still exists. Collectors save the history of what they collect.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
Since the posts were deleted, I don't know if they were advertisements. I always enjoy the historic notes from Badge Guy.

If you enjoy badges as art and as history, you might be a collector. I enjoyed collecting before gold tripled.

If these badges were not for sale to collectors, they would be melted down. I am glad the collectors save these pieces for history.

The "pins on loan to the member during their lifetime" rider does not go back to the early days of badges. Also, the expectation that the families of members send pins back to the HQs is one-sided in my opinion. Well, the fact that the families have sold their parents' badges vs sending them to the organizations speaks for the heir's side.

It is wonderful that most organizations treasure and display their historic badges. If they don't already have an historic badge, they can only acquire it if it still exists. Collectors save the history of what they collect.
There is a gentleman's agreement of sorts on this thread, and on GreekChat in general, that posting where a pin or badge is for sale is not to be done. There are people who troll here to see where to buy pins on the cheap and then mark them up incredibly. There are also non-greek collectors who may become posers.

There was a time when we could post a link, but in the long run, it was so counter productive that we suggest that it be taken to private message.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI to everyone: I am sorry now that I deleted my QFPs. I have a PM from badgeguy that completely supports my reason for calling him out on his selling post (see upthread;I'm not deleting that post). In other words, I was right. I am not going to engage in any discussion with him or post the PM at this time. If he is smart, he will let this drop.

If you know anything about me at all, you know that I won't speak unless I have more than adequate, valid data to support my position. There is quite a history here, obviously. And that's all I'm going to say.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahem. My latest pin . . .
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
FYI to everyone: I am sorry now that I deleted my QFPs. I have a PM from badgeguy that completely supports my reason for calling him out on his selling post (see upthread;I'm not deleting that post). In other words, I was right. I am not going to engage in any discussion with him or post the PM at this time. If he is smart, he will let this drop.

If you know anything about me at all, you know that I won't speak unless I have more than adequate, valid data to support my position. There is quite a history here, obviously. And that's all I'm going to say.
Calling me out? Gee, you didn't seem mind too much when I was able to rescue you an lovely Dyer Theta pin from the scrap yard!!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
Calling me out? Gee, you didn't seem mind too much when I was able to rescue you an lovely Dyer Theta pin from the scrap yard!!
I wondered how long it would take you. Thank you for proving my point. Your definition of "rescue" is unique, to put it politely.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Ok. Thanks. Next time I see any old KAT pins in the "to be scrapped" piles. I'll make sure not to "rescue" them.

I just stick with my researching old groups and locals.

BG
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, here is the data:

Please do not misrepresent yourself (or your actions). You know full well that it was not in the "to be scrapped" pile, anywhere. You presented it to me as "selling for a dentist collector friend" and you were the middleman as he was closing out his collection. You then offered it to others and jacked up the price to a ridiculous level. I was stupid enough to pay your jacked up asking price, and find it fascinating that the money went to you and not to your "dentist friend".

Did you misrepresent that situation as well? You have now done a great job of supporting my statements. This is quite educational (and entertaining). It is good to know that you're getting out of the badge business now, or did you not mean that either?

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Thank you for letting me inform others of your business practices.

I'm sure this won't be the last post on this topic because your ego insists on you having the last word. It's more commonly referred to as digging your own grave.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Is there a real difference in opinion to someone who collects and someone "in the badge business" (whatever that really means).....
Or are both of these types of people viewed the same?