GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 977
3 members and 974 guests
Low D Flat, naraht, sabellashulzez9
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

DC1, I took a look at the Lambda10 website.
It made me think... even though I may not agree with someone's lifestyle it doesn't mean I have the right to judge him/her. Thanks for the insight! (As you can see I deleted my previous post)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2000, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Sexy Mocha,

Yes I see that you deleted your previous post. I read it last night and I was offended by it. But all I will say is this: it is not our job to "condone" anyone's character, Self, or sexual orientation. The word "condone" indicates in itself a relationship of superior/inferior. Only the Creator has the authority and power to "condone" anything. Do I believe that homosexuality is an offense in the eyes of the Creator? (Well I can never say for sure, being as I am not the Creator) But my answer to that question is a big resounding "No!" I know some won't agree with me, and that's fine. (How many times has the homosexuality and religion discussion been had?) This is just my two cents.

Oh and by the way, why the continuous reference to homosexuality as a "lifestyle"? Is being heterosexual a "lifestyle" too???

Just something to think about....

Peace, Love and Progression
B.N.

------------------
"Queens shouldn't swing...if you know what I mean.."
Old 08-31-2000, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Sexy Mocha,

One more thing. I am not attacking you or your beliefs. And I want to say that I am happy that you came to the conclusion not to judge others.

One love,
B.N.

------------------
Old 08-31-2000, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

OK..my third message of the day....

DC1...I checked out the Lambda10 website. I just wanted to say thanx for passing it along. I will do the same...

One,
B.N.

------------------
Old 08-31-2000, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
DC1, I took a look at the Lambda10 website.
It made me think... even though I may not agree with someone's lifestyle it doesn't mean I have the right to judge him/her. Thanks for the insight! (As you can see I deleted my previous post)
I am glad that ya'll looked through the post!

I can't express how happy it made me, Sexy Mocha, to read your post! Once again, it proves that understanding, compassion and love will overcome all differences!!

Brotherly/Sisterly love is the key... I am joyouse in the hope that, one day, ALL good people, gay/lesbian/bisexual included, will be welcomed into the Greek Community! I feel that ALL greek letter organizations are wonderful establishments that can create a sense of community; a community in which welcomes diversity!!

Keep up the love, ya'll!

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me
Old 08-31-2000, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there special sensitivity to the question at hand because Alphas are so often stereotyped as being gay? Are you brothers trying to distance yourself from those stereotypes by opposing gays in your organization as adamantly as possible?

This was the fraternity of MLK, correct? What irony.

I'm never comfortable seeing black people use the same arguments against other groups that have been used to oppress us in the past.

I'm not surprised at the reactions, though I am curious as to how so many of you Alphas are willing to pat 7BA94 on the back when he is at best small minded, at worst ugly and hateful. It says much of you as individuals, and of you as a group in this forum

[This message has been edited by 1Blonde (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old 08-31-2000, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Like I said, I'm not a close-minded individual. I believe, and I'm woman enough to admit it, that most prejudices stem from ignorance. I guess when you put a face and story to the issue it becomes harder to be judgemental/critical. Hey, to each his own!
Old 08-31-2000, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Blonde:
Is there special sensitivity to the question at hand because Alphas are so often stereotyped as being gay? Are you brothers trying to distance yourself from those stereotypes by opposing gays in your organization as adamantly as possible?

I'm never comfortable seeing black people use the same arguments against other groups that have been used to oppress us in the past.

I'm not surprised at the reactions, though I am curious as to how so many of you Alphas are willing to pat 7BA94 on the back when he is at best small minded, at worst ugly and hateful. It says much of you as individuals, and of you as a group in this forum

Lawd have mercy.......Blonde1, I'm staying out of this one

Old 08-31-2000, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Excuse my disrespect, but Professor when and where did u "pledge?" Some of your past response got me wondering!
Once again pardon my disrespect!

------------------
"None other, the #1 Stunna" - Baby, Cash Money Millionaires
Old 08-31-2000, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Sexy Mocha,

Thank you for respecting my feelings, as I most certainly respect yours. Peace, Love, Progression <i>and</i> Respect are the keys to uplifting our communities...

One,
B.N.

------------------
Old 08-31-2000, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

DC1,

I have to comment you. You have such a positive outlook on things, and that is always a joy.

BrandNubian

------------------
Old 08-31-2000, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

1Blonde,

Strong words, strong words. But....I have to say that you do raise good points and good issues.

------------------
Old 08-31-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Blonde:

Sister - Don't start no S H _ T!!!!
Old 08-31-2000, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not my forum, nor do I care if homosexuals are admitted to APHIA. However, SEXY MOCHA, you should not feel intimidated by the political correctness police in sharing your opinion. If you find gay behavior or lifestyle offensive or not conducive to organizational stability, you should not have to mince your words. It is your opinion, as valuable and insightful as anyone elses regardless of which side of the argument it falls on. Fraternities are private, by invitation only organizations that have membership criteria. They are by nature, discriminatory. They can set whatever criteria they choose. Another thing Sexy Mocha, we all have a right to judge, we just do not have a right to condemn. As individuals, we have no heaven or hell for anyone, but we have the right to associate with whom we wish and we judge whom we want to associate with. Some don't associate with smokers, drinkers, promiscuous, rowdy folks, bible thumpers, and even homosexuals. . People should be allowed to speak their minds, regardless of the political correctness of their feelings. Anything else is thought control. I did not say one hateful or bigoted thing
Old 08-31-2000, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Gettin' dicy in here. 1Blonde I've usually found your posts insightful but the one here is more along the lines of insidious. I feel that you should share your mind, but this is an Alpha room and respect its inhabitants. The only thing you should worry about is whether or not someone is doing the work of your org.
Closed Thread