GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,162
5 members and 2,157 guests
aantonygooglet9, Kevin, Pinkmagnolia921
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2000, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Talking When does a Neophyte become a Prophyte?

Greetings to the Devastating Divas of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. - I am pleased and honored to be a guest in your home!

This question is for the benefit of a friend of mine who is a Delta (She knows who she is!.) While *I* know the answer to this question, I thought it might be educational for her to read the answer directly from her Sorors.

My question is: "When does a Neophyte officially become a Prophyte?" I'd also be interested in whether or not there are any exceptions to this rule.

I humbly await your replies!

Old 08-12-2000, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Iota, If your friend is truly a Soror, then she should already know the answer to this...I understand that she is NEO however, I am one as well, and I know the answer, along with the rest of my sands in Spring 00.
Sincerely,
Conspiracy2
02-LZ-00
Old 08-12-2000, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I am not a member of Delta Sigma Theta or any other greek letter organization; however as an interestee I was under the impression, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a prophyte the previous line that crossed and the neophyte is the newly initiated member of any organization. For example: if I crossed in SPring of 2001 I would be a neophyte; however my big sister who crossed in 2000 or 1999 would be a prophyte...

just an interestee looking in
Old 08-13-2000, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Thank you for stopping by our home. We welcome you with open arms, IotaNet. Well, I have a question for you..when does an infant become a toddler? (I like answering a question with a question.)

ANSWER that please!

"Better Idea Soror"

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-13-2000, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Quote:
Originally posted by IotaNet:
I thought it might be educational for her to read the answer directly from her Sorors.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Old 08-13-2000, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Quote:
DirectorDST99 Wrote:

I have a question for you..when does an infant become a toddler?
I would imagine that an infant becomes a toddler when it learns how to walk ... that would it assume that it didn't get "a better idea" and try to fly.

------------------
Old 08-13-2000, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.....spread my wings and fly away. I believe I can soar........

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-14-2000, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Where I'm from, one is a neo until he/she brings in new members. So, I was a neo until Spring '98 became official. I think this is pretty much universal. Of course, there are exceptions...

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 08-14-2000, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Are we talking about tradition or are we talking about sound, concrete, factual, documented information?

I'm with you, IotaNet, if TRADITION says that a neophyte is one until he/she takes a line over. Is this written tradition, I ask?

Now, FACTUAL INFORMATION says a neophyte is one who is newly converted to a belief; a beginner. If I crossed in 1920 and I never took over a line, I'm sorrow I'm not NEWLY converted to a belief and certainly not a beginner! NEO MEANS NEW! The prefix "pro" means professional. So you must ask yourself, what makes one a professional? Is the answer taking over "lines" or working your butt off in the organization for more than a year - as a member?

IotaNet, I will take you to court on this one...and you would loose with your weak argument I don't care if the entire NPHC is on your side.

Sisterly love,
"Better Idea Soror"!
------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old 08-14-2000, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Soror Director!

When I said that there are exceptions, that's exactly what I meant! It is likely that one could pledge a chapter in which new members are never initiated, or that he/she can pledge and never take part in membership intake activities afterwards. It's ridiculous to think that a person is a neophyte solely on the basis of membership intake. Experience, knowledge, and length of membership definitely stand for something!

------------------
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 08-15-2000, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror the411,

I think that you certainly came correct with your answer; not just because I agree with you but because it's logical - makes a whole lot of sense!

I'll leave this topic open a few more days before I close it. Mr. IotaNet, I hope you're content with the responses so far.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99
Old 08-15-2000, 11:57 AM
c&c1913

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:
Where I'm from, one is a neo until he/she brings in new members. So, I was a neo until Spring '98 became official.

That's how it's done at my campus.

------------------
Sisterhood, Scholarship, & Service
"Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom"
Old 08-15-2000, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand the "definition" of a prophyte to be two-fold. One becomes a prophte either when s/he helps to cross a line OR when s/he has been a member for one year.

------------------
Kelli
12-Delta Nu-94
MAL, Southern Region
Savannah State University c/o 1997
Closed Thread