GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,631
1 members and 1,630 guests
Sarak24034

Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
someone else can date the sandwich artist.
lol
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Working at McDonalds, Scrubway, Taco Hell, etc. etc. alone is not going to pay the bills
Depends on what kind of bills said person has. And what position he has.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Depends on what kind of bills said person has. And what position he has.
If he's making sandwiches as a sandwich guy or whatever they call the title now, then no. Whatever kind of bills he has, if he's making sandwiches for a living, and that's it, then he's living check to check. That's not financial stability.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
THIS.

And I don't want anyone to think I'm a gold digger or anything like that, because I'm not. I wasn't trying to be condescending at all, it's just that a guy without some kind of ambition to me is lazy. I hate lazy people. Seriously. I mean, at least make enough money to be able to support yourself. Working at McDonalds, Scrubway, Taco Hell, etc. etc. alone is not going to pay the bills and it definitely will not provide for a family. When I get married and he gets laid off or something and has to work two or three jobs, then I'm o.k. with that, but I would hope that he's tryng to do something to get back on his feet. I'm just trying to be realistic, that's all I'm doing. A lot of people say they would be o.k. with people doing this or someone doing that in a marriage, but really, when the responsibility sets in, then what? I'm sorry, but if I met a guy and he said he worked at McDonalds, I'm going to ask "doing what?" and if he's my age or in his 30s and he's a "french fry engineer" or whatever the title is now, or he's not in school, or trying to work his way up the ladder at McDonald's then I'm going to wonder why is this guy who's in my age group, not in school, or not doing anything else to try and better himself? If he's a nice guy then he can be nice for some other girl. I guess I'll miss out on a sweet, genuine guy. I seriously would rather be single. However, I don't mind if he's making less than me, I really don't, as long as I feel financially secure with him. When I'm all done with school and everything else that I plan on doing, he probably will be making less than me, and that's o.k. but I'm not going to take care of kids and an adult guy who works fast food jobs. Sorry.

And I agree. It's not about being a gold digger, it's about meeting someone close to where you are just in case one stumbles the other can pick up some of the slack
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
And I agree. It's not about being a gold digger, it's about meeting someone close to where you are just in case one stumbles the other can pick up some of the slack
And Daemon, that's all it is. That's all I'm saying, and I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...then he's living check to check. That's not financial stability.
A lot of people work better jobs than fast food places and still live paycheck to paycheck. A "good" job and ambition don't mean anything when you can't even live w/i your means and are up to your eyeballs in debt.

ETA: A manager at Starbucks makes more money than a teacher (at least here they do). I wouldn't necessarily knock "fast-food" jobs.

Last edited by epchick; 01-20-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If he's making sandwiches as a sandwich guy or whatever they call the title now, then no. Whatever kind of bills he has, if he's making sandwiches for a living, and that's it, then he's living check to check. That's not financial stability.
If someone is debt free and is making (for example) $30,000 as a manager at one of those places, I don't see how that's not stable.

If he has 324,234 credit cards and is a "sandwich artist," then I can see your point. Not everyone falls into that category, though.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
A lot of people wore better jobs than fast food places and still live paycheck to paycheck. A "good" job and ambition don't mean anything when you can't even live w/i your means and are up to your eyeballs in debt.
*nods*

Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If someone is debt free and is making (for example) $30,000 as a manager at one of those places, I don't see how that's not stable.

If he has 324,234 credit cards and is a "sandwich artist," then I can see your point. Not everyone falls into that category, though.
find me someone who is making $30K and debt free ^wink^
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
A lot of people wore better jobs than fast food places and still live paycheck to paycheck. A "good" job and ambition don't mean anything when you can't even live w/i your means and are up to your eyeballs in debt.

ETA: A manager at Starbucks makes more money than a teacher (at least here they do). I wouldn't necessarily knock "fast-food" jobs.
A teacher requires an education and is a career path. A manager at Startbucks can also be a career path. It's also important not to live above your means. There are some people making 6 figures and are still living paycheck to paycheck, and that's because they're living above their means.

Quote:

I didn't say manager. I said sandwich maker...entry level. No ambition.

eta: and if he has that much credit card debt, then he's not very good with money.

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 01-20-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
find me someone who is making $30K and debt free ^wink^
I've seen it once, so there's bound to be others lol

Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A teacher requires an education and is career path. A manager at Startbucks can also be a career path. It's also important not to live above your means. There are some people making 6 figures and are still living paycheck to paycheck, and that's because they're living above their means.

I didn't say manager. I said sandwich maker...entry level. No ambition.

eta: and if he has that much credit card debt, then he's not very good with money.
Entry level is just that -- entry. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a higher position right off the bat. Maybe he's paying his dues until something better comes along. You never know a person's full situation.

And to the ETA: That was my point

Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Entry level is just that -- entry. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a higher position right off the bat. Maybe he's paying his dues until something better comes along. You never know a person's full situation.
And I know that. I honestly don't think anything is wrong with that, really, I don't. You said it yourself "until something better comes along". And if it doesn't, and he's making $30,000 a year doing what he enjoys doing, then I'm o.k. with that. As long as he's able to support me and/or the family if something were to happen to my job. That's all I'm saying, knight_shadow.

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 01-20-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I know that. I honestly don't think anything is wrong that, really, I don't. You said it yourself "until something better comes along". And if it doesn't, and he's making $30,000 a year doing what he enjoys doing, then I'm o.k. with that. As long as he's able to support me and/or the family if something were to happen to my job. That's all I'm saying, knight_shadow.
I see what you're saying NOW, but your initial comment read like "Anyone who works in a position that's less than mine is unworthy." I was just pointing out that situations vary.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I see what you're saying NOW, but your initial comment read like "Anyone who works in a position that's less than mine is unworthy." I was just pointing out that situations vary.
Now you're putting words in my mouth, knight_shadow. I never said that or anything close to it. I said if he's working a minimum wage job and not doing anything to better himself, then I don't want to be with him. That's what I said.