GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,341
1 members and 1,340 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Keep in mind that an HSA can also be a good investment tool. And it gives you tax breaks too, doesn't it?
It apparently does! I really did not realize that this year, but someone pointed that out when I mentioned that I was thinking about not paying into it. I decided definitely going to pay enough to cover my contacts and then a little extra for safety. Between me and my husband, our medical expenses have been minimal the past few years and we it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra cash back in our pockets!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It also rolls over from year to year and you don't have to use it that year. They also pay interest, although it's not a lot for most accounts. Although your expenses have been minimal the last few years, this could be a good time to save up for a rainy day... or kids/pregnancy health expenses (which can add up quickly!). It is tax free if you use for it medical expenses or if you withdraw it when you retire. If they were an option when I was younger, before kids, I would have considered putting the maximum annual amount. I would want the equivalent of my maximum annual deductible in there, just in case.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It also rolls over from year to year and you don't have to use it that year.
The specifics for this likely vary from employer to employer. While mine allows you to carry over from year to year, there is a cap. If the cap is $2000, and you elect $1500 for this year and plan to carry over $1000 from last year, you're essentially losing $500. There's also a date by which the $ has to be used (at my university, anyway), so it's wise to familiarize yourself with the specific limitations of your HRA.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yours sounds more like an FSA (flexible spending account). HSA's aren't supposed to have those limitations.

I'd actually go so far as to suggest consulting a financial planner, especially as newlyweds, to discuss HSA contributions, retirement contributions, education funds for future children, etc. I'd start a strategy young for all that.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea if anybody can answer this (beyond "go to the doctor", which i know I need to), but can birth control make existing anxiety worse? When I went to refill my prescription this round, they gave me a different generic than I had been receiving - I have never had a reaction to medication EVER, beyond some mild side effects with other types of the pill, but it seems like since I started on this round, my anxiety has been so much worse than prior, as well as having a weird effect on my periods.. (i'm on the 3 months-at-a-time type). I know I need to go to the doctor, but I've never had a doctor that seemed to actually care, so I thought i'd ask around for anecdotal evidence as well.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum17 View Post
I have no idea if anybody can answer this (beyond "go to the doctor", which i know I need to), but can birth control make existing anxiety worse? When I went to refill my prescription this round, they gave me a different generic than I had been receiving - I have never had a reaction to medication EVER, beyond some mild side effects with other types of the pill, but it seems like since I started on this round, my anxiety has been so much worse than prior, as well as having a weird effect on my periods.. (i'm on the 3 months-at-a-time type). I know I need to go to the doctor, but I've never had a doctor that seemed to actually care, so I thought i'd ask around for anecdotal evidence as well.
You probably won't find much anecdotal evidence for this type of complaint, especially with Seasonale/seasonique since they are newer and their generics haven't been around very long. Talk to your doctor. Depending on how long you have been taking this pack of pills, they may just recommend that you continue with the pills to see if your symptoms resolve. They may give you the name brand drug, but you would likely have to pay more. You also may be able to find the other generic at a different pharmacy, but your pharmacy has likely changed to this type generic. They usually dont switch back and forth.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently my BC is on my insurance's third tier, thus, it is ineligible to be free. Because I don't want to pay $100 a month anymore, I need a new option.

The shot & NuvaRing are just as expensive and I am terrified of an IUD because I always hear of women passing out after they get put in. (I know, it's a very specific fear lol)

I'm going to see if I can switch to another pill (mine does not have a generic) but I was also considering the patch. Anyone ever been on the patch? Feedback?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Anecdotal, but a friend of mine gained almost 15 pounds within 2 months of starting on the patch. She changed absolutely nothing else, and within 2 months of getting off the patch, she lost all the weight without any significant lifestyle changes

I'm on seasonique and I am very pleased
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Apparently my BC is on my insurance's third tier, thus, it is ineligible to be free. Because I don't want to pay $100 a month anymore, I need a new option.

The shot & NuvaRing are just as expensive and I am terrified of an IUD because I always hear of women passing out after they get put in. (I know, it's a very specific fear lol)

I'm going to see if I can switch to another pill (mine does not have a generic) but I was also considering the patch. Anyone ever been on the patch? Feedback?
Canadian pharmacy. NuvaRing is fabulous. I have been on the patch, and it's kinda annoying, but other than that, few side effects for me.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

HUZZAH! I found a list of birth control pills that are free for my plan (updated in 2013 so I should be good). I'm straight up gonna give this to my Dr. and ask to write a Rx to whatever is similar, lol.

DAMN Aetna made that effing difficult.

Thanks for the input anyways lol
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my daughters used the patch when it came out as she did not tolerate the pill well at all. Found it to be a real hassle-patch didn't always adhere well. A little while after she started on it, reports came out that basically, the amount of hormones entering your system might be a bit higher than they thought, so her GYN pulled her off it and put her on Nuvaring. She has been on it ever since, with a minimum of issues.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Just as an anecdote, I know two people that used the patch correctly and still got pregnant.

Since my mom switched insurance to the state plan (former state employee), they don't cover my BC since I am taking it for non-medical reasons
I already take the generic, so I will be getting my rx at Target for 4.00 a month.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

So an update...

Since there's no generic for Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, I switched to the generic of regular Ortho Tri Cyclen, TriNessa. The difference is that it has a higher dose of estrogen than the Lo.

We'll see how this goes! I can't imagine having too much trouble making the switch.

Oh and it was FREE! Yahoo!!