GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,405
0 members and 2,405 guests
No Members online

Old 02-06-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Names

In Alpha Phi Omega, we name chapters this way:

Alpha thru Omega, then
Alpha Alpha thru Omega Omega, then
Alpha Alpha Alpha up to our current, which is Alpha Epsilon Omicron.

Chapters get their names when they are chartered, so you can get an indication of how old they are. And the names 'stay' with the school. If a chapter goes under, when a new chapter is re-chartered at that school, they get their old name back.

Hope this is of interest
Section 71 Chair
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2003, 08:01 PM

Boy, if ya'll have never heard of this, you may get confused so here goes:

Each new chapter can choose her own chapter name, as long as it hasn't already been used. My chapter is the 134th chapter of AOII and is named Pi Alpha. This is in honor of our prior local sorority, Alpha Pi. Our chapters at Western Kentucky and Indiana University are named in honor of alumnae who helped found each chapter. Our chapter at Kentucky is Kappa Omega (I think they're our 132nd chapter) for the "U"niversity of "K"entucky. Same for our chapter at Eastern Kentucky University, Epsilon Omega! We have an Omega chapter, at Miami (OH.)

Christin
Old 02-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Boy, if ya'll have never heard of this, you may get confused so here goes:

Each new chapter can choose her own chapter name, as long as it hasn't already been used. My chapter is the 134th chapter of AOII and is named Pi Alpha. This is in honor of our prior local sorority, Alpha Pi. Our chapters at Western Kentucky and Indiana University are named in honor of alumnae who helped found each chapter. Our chapter at Kentucky is Kappa Omega (I think they're our 132nd chapter) for the "U"niversity of "K"entucky. Same for our chapter at Eastern Kentucky University, Epsilon Omega! We have an Omega chapter, at Miami (OH.)

Christin
And to add to the 'confusion,' just look at the chapters in Tennessee. They all contain Omicron (UTK = Omicron; MTSU = Rho Omicron, etc). The names can also be chosen as the abbreviation of the chapter's sub-motto in either English or Greek. I think it's rather cool to do it this way because it makes the chapter even more special (not only the motto of AOII to hold special and live by but also the chapter. . .)

Sarah
Beta Gamma (To Become Best)
Old 02-07-2003, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
The naming of DPhiE chapter is similar to what AEPhi alum described. Alpha to Omega, Delta Alpha to Delta Omega, Phi Alpha to Phi Omega, Epsilon Alpha to Epsilon Omega, Alpha Alpha to Alpha Omega, Beta Alpha to Beta Omega, and Gamma Alpha. I assume that after Gamma Omega, they will go to Zeta Alpha.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Theta Chi Goes Alpha through Omega. Then Alpha Beta-Alpha Omega. NO double letters. We are Iota Zeta. We are the youngest.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

We go thru the alphabet as you described. Our Alpha Deuteron is for convention initiates.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleblue&gold
We go thru the alphabet as you described. Our Alpha Deuteron is for convention initiates.
Now that is really cool, a chapter for convention initiates! What a wonderful and special thing for them.

What wonderful things we learn here on GC.

Christin
Old 02-07-2003, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
I forgot to mention that if a chapter closes and then is rechartered they recieve the old chapter designation. Also my chapters ritual #1 was initiated at our convention.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 02-07-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Our convention/honorary initiates are called the Theta Chi chapter. If not iniated by the Grand Chapter as an alumnus, you are a member of the chapter that initiated you.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Now that is really cool, a chapter for convention initiates! What a wonderful and special thing for them.
While officially Alpha Sigma Phi does not initiate honorary members, there is a special status for those initiates who were made members at a Convention or National Leadership Conference. These members do not belong to any chapter, but are designated "Members-at-Large" or "M-A-Ls", unless they so choose to affiliate with a collegiate chapter.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 02-07-2003, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a thread on the AGD site that explains how chapters are named. I am pretty sure the first 24 was based on where they were?? After that, it was based on regions of the North American continent the chapter was...we have chapters in Canada and US including Hawaii. I couldn't find the name of the thread!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The first 24 Alpha Gam chapters are Alpha-Omega, and each chapter name was designated by when they were founded. It looks like the change to Region-Order happened in 1922.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to CanadianTeke
We do the Standard Alpha through Omega and then Alpha Alpha through Omega Omega (though we are only at Upsilon Epsilon). Each chapter is given it's designation at chartering, before that they are colony '#' or if it is a restart of an old chapter they are colony "old chapter designation". So my Chapter now is Tau Omega, we were Colony 717. There are a few exceptions however, there is no Eta chapters, i assume to avoid Eta Pi. Also our Sigma Chapter is know as Scorpion Chapter. Scorpion was the name of their local fraternity, when they joined TKE they were allowed to keep it as their chapter designation.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
There is a thread on the AGD site that explains how chapters are named. I am pretty sure the first 24 was based on where they were?? After that, it was based on regions of the North American continent the chapter was...we have chapters in Canada and US including Hawaii. I couldn't find the name of the thread!
AGD names their chapters by Province...

So they skip from:
Alpha Omega to Zeta Alpha
Beta Omega to Eta Alpha
Gamma Omega to Theta Alpha
Delta Omega to Iota Alpha
Epsilon Omega to Kappa Alpha

and so on...

Lynn, here is the thread you were trying to find:
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...=chapter+names
Old 02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
This is a great thread!

ADPi started with Alpha through Omega, then Alpha Alpha, etc. They're now on Eta Omega and the next chapter (hope we get some new chapters soon!) would be Theta Alpha.

They were founded slightly out of order originally, since the early colonies were given letter designations before they were formally chartered/initiated... Now I think they're just the _University_ Colony of ADPi until chartering and initiation, when they get whatever's next in the alphabet. Recolonizations get the original university chapter name without any change.

While I, as a local sorority alum initiate, was initiated directly into my college chapter, alumnae initiates since 2001 are apparently initiated into Omega Alpha chapter, but those who were in locals that went ADPi can request affiliation with their college's ADPi chapter.

As far as hyphenated chapters go, MysticCat didn't mention the one Sinfonia chapter that *is* hyphenated: Eta Omicron. The Eta chapter at Cincinnati College of Music and the Omicron chapter at Cincinnati Conservatory of Music ended up merging when the schools merged, so there's no Eta Omicron chapter, and no Eta or Omicron by themselves.