GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,439
0 members and 1,439 guests
No Members online

Old 11-07-2017, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Blackball terminology and typical reasons.

At my fraternity we have had a reoccurring issue of actives deactivating because they most-likely did something stupid (legal repercussions or repercussions from the school), leaving because the fraternity does not condone some of their choices (typically drug related) and on a rare occasion to better themselves (and by rare I mean RARE). Lately those who have deactivated did so because of the first two reasons. After leaving and basically saying FU to the organization they are brought up for blackball. With the blackball only passing when there have been legal repercussions and that individual being expelled from the school. A blackball being a the term used for the organization itself for breaking all ties with that individual by vote. We are currently emphasizing a culture switch to A) begin to weed out the bad apples before becoming active, which means we are being far more selective on who we extend bids to and B) working to set a precedence saying that such behavior shall not be tolerated by our members.

I was wondering if there was a more appropriate terms for blackball seeing that our meaning and the actual meaning differ?
AND
I was wondering if there are any set "blackball" criteria used by other Greek organizations because once these guys deactivate the active body basically has the "well they're not our problem anymore" ideology while in my opinion a blackball should be used for the betterment of the organization instead of being viewed as a personal attack.

Really struggling with trying to make positive changes and show that type of behavior will not be tolerated active or not.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't answer your questions because I don't know what your national org requires. But, this is the first time I've heard of blackballing being used with regard to an initiated member. In my experience it always applied to a rushee and whether or not he received a bid.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM

In most organizations that I'm familiar with, we use the term "expulsion" when it is an initiated member involved, and have reasons usually covered under "Conduct unbecoming a Kappa Epsilon Gamma".

We have also used the instance where a member is still enrolled in the university, but has stopped coming around and paying dues to financially expel them from our fraternity.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)