GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,153
2 members and 1,151 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy another alternative for hazing

What other ways can you tell me how you will know they are good enough for your organization? You have to go beyond the interview so what else?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Hazing is an often ritualistic test and a task, which may constitute harassment, abuse or humiliation with requirements to perform random, often meaningless tasks, sometimes as a way of initiation into a social group. The definition can refer to either physical (sometimes violent) or mental (possibly degrading) practices. The word is most frequently encountered in the United States and Canada; in the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth countries, ragging or fagging or fooling is usually used instead. In continental European languages, terms with a 'christening' theme or etymology are often preferred (e.g. baptême in French, doop in Dutch in Flanders) or variations on a theme of naïveté and the rite of passage such as a derivation from a term for freshman (e.g. bizutage in French, ontgroening 'de-green[horn]ing' in Dutch) or a combination of both, such as in the Finnish mopokaste (literally "motorbicycle baptism", "motorbicycle" being the nickname for freshmen, stemming from the concept that they would be barred from riding a full motorcycle by their age).

This is the dictionary definition of hazing.This type of hazing is wrong I agree all in favor.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
You have 2 threads going now on the exact same topic. Please just trust that every organization has its own Membership Selection and New Member period that gives each house ample opportunity to get to know/evaluate potential members of their chapter. You are basing your knowledge on what you experienced in high school and I assume what you've heard/have been told about things at the collegiate level. You have no context to what you are saying or asking, just wait until you transfer schools and go through whatever recruitment activities are available. Organizations at the national level are governed by national bodies and state and federal laws do exist and do apply, you are over 18 now and an adult, so are fully bound by and subject to the law (high school orgs aren't nationally governed and you were a minor then).

Please wait until you are at the college where you plan to explore the greek system, meet the groups there, LEARN from THEM how they choose their members and don't worry so much about finding an "alternative to hazing", which you will someday see is a preposterous question to even explore.

Good luck in your transfer & recruitment!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
~ Linus van Pelt
I just want to take the time to say:

I love your signature!

If me saying so happens to hijack the thread...and people have a sudden urge to discuss Charlie Brown, I say go with that urge.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Well sense everyone is so against it I just would like to know what ideas you would have other than hazing. Every organization does have their guide lines but the organization that I would like to be apart of takes courage and upholding what being a true women means by morals standards and goals in life as well as the community. It's really not what you can do for you organization but what you can do for your community if you are not for your community what are you here for. If you don't want to discuss those three thing stay away from things like this if you don't want to discuss no one is making YOU respond. The organization i want to be a member of does not recruit likei said before you go to them they do not come to you. You are not NEEDED but would be nice have in this family. Gods gives blessings to people open to receive them. I believe that this organization is a blessing to me.

Last edited by jessiwannabe; 09-11-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

And they will bless you with their member education, rituals and history when (and if) you are offered a bid there.

You seem clear on what organization you plan to be part of, I have no idea what you're actually fishing for here, you aren't hearing the logical answers and I'm done talking in circles with you, so I'll once again wish you well with your school transfer, hope you have a successful recruitment and encourage you not to be so concerned about things that really don't even apply to you yet. You'll understand more once you've actually been exposed, first hand, to a national greek organization.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Just opinions hear nothing more you made yourself talk in circles all I did was say my believes you have a right to yours. Greek letters organizations don't change people people change greek letter organizations. Especially Black Greek Letter Organizations. We have to show the world something more from our side. People of color have to work harder in this world if you don't believe me check out the Birmingham Civil Rights Museum.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Who doesn't remember fondly the teacher's voice in Charlie Brown: "wahn wah wah wah, wa wha wha wah." Kind of like these threads.

ETA: Wannabe~ to get your answers, why don't you post these questions in the AKA forum?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Ecco la banda dei Peanuts!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Well it's mighty funny how it's wahn wah wah wa wha wha when I mentioned (Black) it wasn't that before. This forum has to do with hazing. I did not know Black Greek Organizations made you blush. I'm proud of who I am if I let your words affect me then I'm the idiot.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiwannabe View Post
Well it's mighty funny how it's wahn wah wah wa wha wha when I mentioned (Black) it wasn't that before. This forum has to do with hazing. I did not know Black Greek Organizations made you blush. I'm proud of who I am if I let your words affect me then I'm the idiot.
That's it, play the race card.

You STARTED OFF posting in the AKA Forum. We KNOW you're black, but that's not why you're getting clowned. The black posters here (mostly) aren't touching your threads with a 10 foot pole. That should tell you something.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiwannabe View Post
The NPHC forum mods shut you down completely IIR.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Sweetie, this has nothing to do with race or color. I knew what organization you were interested in before you posted it. My point is that you're not paying attention to what people are posting. You seem to be fishing for something that we're not going to give. There are lots of threads about ways not to haze--use the search function and you will see them. Heck, I don't even understand what you are getting at because I don't really understand your posts. We're not going to talk about membership selection here. The only thing I will say is that I've never asked anyone to "earn" membership in my GLO--before the bid is offered I hope they have shown that they are worthy for membership by having good grades, being involved in the community and on campus, and by being a kind, respectful young woman.

Again, if its answers you seek about AKA--post in that forum. They will tell you what they think.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not playing the race card but every one knows it's harder for black people period we have to uplift each other not bring them down that's where hazing comes in do not do it if it is demeaning I'm not geting clowned I just don't forget where I come from in life I've seen so of the worst things Now it's my turn to make my community better,and strive for for the best in my life. My sister shot her self you know why because she thought her grades were not good enough for my parents and the outside world so don't you tell me that it is not made hard for us. I never said anything about member selection i just said since everyone is against it make some more suggestions I don't need to fish for information I will learn what I really need to know as time goes on

Last edited by jessiwannabe; 09-11-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Closed Thread