GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,314
2 members and 2,312 guests
flamboyanttree, Xidelt

Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
TTT...

I wanted to post on this for a while but since I finally have the answer...

My chapter currently has Delta Academy and we work with about 30 girls from two middle schools. At the meeting, the ones who are over Delta Academy said they would incorporate the GEMS initiative to the Delta Academy.

Has anyone heard of other chapters doing this?

CT4, I got the answer to my question from a few weeks ago. Delta Academy can mostly work with science and math but if the chapter chooses to do lifelong skills and how they can empower them, that if fine too.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Delta GEMS

Delta GEMS is totally seperate from Delta Academy. The new National Initiative is designed to replace Del Uniques (teen group) and add 9th graders into the mix. The two should not be mixed together. We have both groups in Vegas. I am an advisor for both (don't ask where I find the time but God makes it happen for me) and we don't meet together at all. The Delta GEMS did decide to get together and teach the Delta Academy girls a step routine for the MLK parade in January.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 12-04-2005, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
I understand what you're saying. But we are not doing Delta GEMS. We already had Delta Academy and this year they are saying that they will take some of the ideas incorprated in GEMS and apply those to help with our Delta Academy girls. Our chapter is small so I don't know if we will be able to do both.

I hope this clarifies my question!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 12-04-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I see now. Remember...Delta GEMS must be ages 14-18 only.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Delta GEMS

Quote:
Originally posted by Live_Wire17
Delta GEMS is totally seperate from Delta Academy. The new National Initiative is designed to replace Del Uniques (teen group) and add 9th graders into the mix. The two should not be mixed together.
I'm not sure this is completely accurate. Del Uniques/Delta Teens/DelTeens, etc. have been around a long time, but haven't been standardized under a national initiative for quite awhile. And for many chapters 9th graders were already a part of the program (especially in those cities that have four-year high schools.)

But Delta G.E.M.S. can also to be used as a continuum of Delta Academy. That is how many chapters are doing it, including mine. Our Academy girls "graduate" into G.E.M.S. (and new girls are also added.) As a result, there are mixed activites where the G.E.M.S. learn leadership skills by mentoring the Academy girls, as well as separate age-appropriate activities.

Both programs are run by our Youth Development committee.
They on the same days, in the same facility (two different rooms unless it is a joint activity) with sorors helping out with the age group with which they are most comfortable. That is how we are able to have both programs with our limited resources.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 12-05-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedAngel Send a message via Yahoo to RedAngel
We have Del-Teens and have adopted the Gems format. We like the program format of the Gems as does the girls participating.
Also in our chapter the teens start at the age of 12.
The younger division the (Delta Pearls) go from 7-11 years.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well maybe it is understood differently in different areas. During regionals we were told that Delta GEMS was a national initiative which will replace the teen club and add 9th graders. We have bylaws and an emblem from nationals. This is how we work it in Vegas. Many girls that have been in Delta Academy apply for Delta GEMS and have preference but not a guarantee into the program. Since it is newly including 9th graders...they also have preference points. Same program as the teen club (Del Uniques) but with added programs and a new name.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Live_Wire17
Well maybe it is understood differently in different areas. During regionals we were told that Delta GEMS was a national initiative which will replace the teen club and add 9th graders. We have bylaws and an emblem from nationals. This is how we work it in Vegas. Many girls that have been in Delta Academy apply for Delta GEMS and have preference but not a guarantee into the program. Since it is newly including 9th graders...they also have preference points. Same program as the teen club (Del Uniques) but with added programs and a new name.
I am not disputing it replacing "teen clubs." But I am saying that for many areas 9th graders were part of the "teen clubs" to begin with, because we have 4-year high schools. So that isn't any different.

And for some chapters, the "added" programs were the same as some they were already doing. Please remember that our intiatives are not developed in a vacuum. It's a pretty good bet that the national program planning committee looked at "best practices" across chapters and incorporated them into GEMS.

Also I was referring to your statement that GEMS is totally separate from and should not be mixed with DA. On the national website it states that GEMS is "a natural outgrowth and expansion for the continuation of Delta Academy," which implies, at least to me, potential for collaboration between the two, as well, as a priority given to DA members to move into GEMS. Especially for chapters with limited resources.

I knew there were published guidelines, but I didn't know there were bylaws.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to smlwonderdst Send a message via Yahoo to smlwonderdst
My chapter has both Delta GEMS and Delta Academy. While they are both clearly separate, we do have collaborative activities. One is a combined Kwanza program. The GEMS made homemade gifts to give to the Academy girls and will be reciting poems in the program. I think combined activities is a great idea if your chapter has both programs.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes we do combined activities too...I mentioned that the DG helped the DA get ready for the MLK Parade. Our DA included 9th graders (we have 4 year high schools too) but for some reason the 9th graders were lumped in with DA (who knows why) but now they are with DG which is probably how it should have been from the beginning. When I said separate, of course I didn't mean they don't do things together at all....just that they are two separate groups. Whatever the case I am glad we now have 9th graders with the DG because they are high school students. At any rate, it is all very fun and exciting for me because I teach high school students so I am use to them and their weird ways.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey everbody my name is shaven and I would just like to know when are the Deltas having another meeting for girls interested in being in The Delta Gems.

Last edited by Shay2010; 12-22-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Shaven,
Delta GEMS are done on the local levels. So you would need to contact the chapter in your area. Many times chapter phone numbers are listed in the phone book and they have websites. Good luck. If you don't know the chapter name you could try Googling Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Charlotte, NC for example.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
I was very thrilled to hear that Delta GEMS (Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully) has been added to Delta's list of national initiatives. Delta GEMS will serve the 14 - 18 year old teenage girls. Although I have heard about a chapter that will have a co ed group.

Has anyone else signed up to be apart of Delta GEMS?

I signed up for Charlotte Alumnae's Delta GEMS and our first planning meeting is Monday evening.

I would love to discuss with others what your chapters are doing with your Delta GEMS members.

Hey CT4 my chapter just rolled out our GEMS program this year. I can get info on what we are doing and send over to you. There is a HUGE Delta Gems Convention of sorts taking place here in Atl the weekend of June 6th (I believe). The metro chapters here are still planning so that should be great way to get some information.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineDiva47 View Post
Hey CT4 my chapter just rolled out our GEMS program this year. I can get info on what we are doing and send over to you. There is a HUGE Delta Gems Convention of sorts taking place here in Atl the weekend of June 6th (I believe). The metro chapters here are still planning so that should be great way to get some information.
Ummm I initially posted that 2 years ago when GEMS first launched, but thanks for your reply nonetheless.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
Ummm I initially posted that 2 years ago when GEMS first launched, but thanks for your reply nonetheless.

LOLOL...sorry..I am reading and working...didn't even notice the date! Had senior moment...