GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,567
0 members and 2,567 guests
No Members online

Old 11-19-2002, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Questions, Oh I've Got Questions

I'm going to get a reputation pretty soon as the girl who asks too many questions, but here goes!

1 - I have two meetings this week, one tomorrow night, and another on Thursday night. I'm seriously leaning toward joining the chapter with the Thursday meeting, even without having met the other chapters in my area. I've had to turn down an invitation from the first chapter once already this month (because of school committments) -- would it be bad form to turn them down again?

2 - I've been invited to the Fall Reception on November 28 by a Master chapter. The chapter vice president is an absolutely lovely woman, but most of the people in the chapter have been members for longer than I've been alive. If I attend the reception as their guest, am I obligated to join their group?

3 - I got a list of prospective members from National in my Friendly Venture kit. I took the liberty of sending letters (not e-mails) to the women who lived relatively close by and who were fairly close in age. Was this a bad thing to do? I felt a little strange about cold calling complete strangers.

4 - What should I wear to the Fall Reception? It's taking place at a country club at about 7:30 pm. I've lost a lot of weight over the last 6 months, and none of my old clothes fit anymore!

Okay, I'll hush up now. Thanks everyone!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-19-2002, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not an expert on Beta etiquette by any means, but I do have a couple of thoughts....

1) I don't really think it would be "bad form," but it might be nice to at least meet them. I would go to both, but if you must choose and you are truly considering joining the other chapter, attending the Thursday meeting makes the most sense.

2) Attending the function will not obligate you to join the chapter. In fact, you could be really upfront with them about your idea for a Friendly Venture. They will be proud of you!

3) I think that sending a letter is a wonderful way to get in touch! Letters are such a pleasant surprise when your mailbox is usually bursting with bills and junk mail. Also, letters have a wonderful formality to them...kind of an old-fashioned appeal. I did the same thing when I contacted a local legacy. Unfortuanately, she had moved away, but her mother (also a Beta Sigma Phi) sent me a very nice e-mail offering her help and encouragement. You could always follow up with a call in a couple of weeks.

4) Sorry! No real advice here. I guess just be comfortable yet classy. The other guests will probably be "cleaned-up" as my mom would say

Good luck!
Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 11-19-2002, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your replies, erica. I decided not to attend tonight's meeting, and I'm going to send a note of regret to that chapter. Since they have their meetings on Tuesday nights and I'll be taking classes on Tuesday nights next term, I don't think I'd be a good match for them.

Now I promise to go away and stop asking so many questions.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't mind your questions at all. It's good to think these things over.

I think that a note of regret is a good way to go, and since you will have classes during the meeting times, it looks like you have a great way out.

Have fun at the next chapter event!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient