GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,406
3 members and 2,403 guests
GammaGirl1908, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing UGA

Hi, I am seriously thinking about rushing a fraternity in the fall at UGA(Jr in high school). I live far out of state(Seattle, WA) and have heard that it is vital to getting a bid to participate in summer rush events. Is this true? And if so what could be done for my predicament? (Little far in the future but I have become really interested and excited.)
Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

My family knows a lot of guys who are in fraternities at UGA. The ones we know did attend summer rush events and received early bids -- but none of them lived too far from Athens, so getting to events was pretty easy. BUT at least some of them are now close friends with pledge brothers who did not go to summer events because they lived too far away. I know this for a fact, not just hear-say. They went through the formal rush process and found their houses that way.

Based on what some UGA fraternity men have told me, a very big part of the rush process does take place in the summer. Events are not publicized, though, and there isn't a big master calendar showing who is having this or that. You find out from people you know who is doing what. This, too, can pose a problem for guys who live far away and may not know a single fraternity member or even other guys planning to rush. A lot of out-of-state people go to UGA, though, and it just isn't always possible to come to summer events. As I said, though, I know for a fact that some guys receive bids after only doing the formal rush in the fall. Good luck to you!