GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
1 members and 1,389 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-09-2011, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
WHOA!

Just read the active chapter meeting minutes from Tau Delta, and found out that there will be a new national fraternity at Otterbein this year-- Phi Delta Theta is coming on campus. Welcome to the neighborhood, boys.

ETA: Word from Phi Delta Theta International site: http://www.phideltatheta.org/index.p...k=view&id=1606
Phi Delt has a great Ohio legacy. Isn't this the second national fraternity at Otterbein?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
According to the University of Arizona Panhellenic website, meeting notes dated 9-6-2011, Alpha Chi Omega is returning to campus in 2013.

This makes me very very happy for my Alpha Chi friends (and for a gazillion other reasons!). Hoping that this chapter experiences great success and it paves the way for reopening of expansion. We could easily support an additional three chapters, IMO.
Too bad they can't come back next fall. The university could definitely use them next year. Heck, they asked us to come back early because of numbers, they should do the same with Alpha Chi Omega.

Then the university should really rethink how they run business with sororities (land, houses, fees, etc...) so that they can expand.

While chapters love getting lots of women, 90+ for one class is getting a bit extreme. I'm afraid to know what next years intake will be. I'm already predicting 100+ for new member classes.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Do they have a reputation they need to shed first? Do they have a house that's vacant? I don't know anything about this campus, but I bet if they could come on early with a likelihood of successs, they'd probably be all in.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Omega Phi Alpha just installed our newest chapter last night! Congrats to our new chapter, Alpha Mu, and newest sisters at Boston University!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

congratulations!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Too bad they can't come back next fall. The university could definitely use them next year. Heck, they asked us to come back early because of numbers, they should do the same with Alpha Chi Omega.

Then the university should really rethink how they run business with sororities (land, houses, fees, etc...) so that they can expand.

While chapters love getting lots of women, 90+ for one class is getting a bit extreme. I'm afraid to know what next years intake will be. I'm already predicting 100+ for new member classes.
You and I are in total agreement. Those greedy people in the Real Estate department...still makes me furious. Who can afford what they are demanding? And their terms!!!

ASUADPi, please don't scare me about next year, we need to get through this one first (gulp). BTW your chapter is thriving

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Do they have a reputation they need to shed first? Do they have a house that's vacant? I don't know anything about this campus, but I bet if they could come on early with a likelihood of successs, they'd probably be all in.
I believe the agreement, when Alpha Chi went off in 2008, was that they would return in 5 years. That is time enough for a complete turnover of the student body (more or less). Their facility is rented to the University and is being used for housing. Alpha Chi was SMART not to let their real estate go.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Phi Delt has a great Ohio legacy. Isn't this the second national fraternity at Otterbein?
Technically, the third. Alpha Tau Omega had a chapter (that used to live next to TD) but they disbanded in the 90s, I think?

Alpha Sigma Phi has been really building a steady chapter there, they've won campus awards in recent years.

I'm curious as to if Phi Delt will try to buy a house (real estate in Westerville is relatively expensive, and there has been some tension between the residents and the university over the expansion and new building projects). That being said, Sphinx has been sort of itinerant for a number of years, sometimes having a "real" house, sometimes having an unofficial house, sometimes just meeting in campus rooms, and it didn't really impact their pledging (the same with Alpha Sig--they had an unofficial residence(s) for a long time, and I don't know if that has changed?) . Otterbein is a weird campus in that living in the house is not a huge deal, mainly because the houses (and chapters) are so small, and being unhoused is not a huge detriment.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the article from the Indiana Daily Student the campus newspaper at IU. Theta Phi Alpha just recolonized this past week.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=82669&
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

congratulations to TPA. how many new members did they pledge?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
congratulations to TPA. how many new members did they pledge?
According to what I heard this weekend at the football game, approximately 30, but they are planning to give out another round of bids this week. I am not sure how many women total they will bid, but the are planning to participate in the open house round only which is held in December. The rest of formal recruitment resumes in January.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Apparently, USC put an announcement about our expansion in the NPC bulletin.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Thankfully this is a MUCH better article. It still says "off campus" but if the TPA gal said it, you can't blame the writer. I wish them the best of luck! I think it can only help that campus to offer an alternative.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

AOII has been invited to colonize at CSU- San Marcos! Congrats to our expansion team and yay for another Network 8 chapter!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone head about Villanova? I know that they were open for expansion this fall.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
AOII has been invited to colonize at CSU- San Marcos! Congrats to our expansion team and yay for another Network 8 chapter!
Congratulations to AOII. Is this the first official colony announcement of this school year? I think we have lots of good news to look forward to this year from coast to coast. I so love to guess how things are going to go that I'm going to guess we have 4 or 5 of the BIG campuses expanding and a boatload of mid-size Greek systems expanding. And even a couple brand new Greek systems popping up out there.

And my first big prognostication - Arkansas gets 2 sororities to commit at the same time with 2 in the wings for 1-2 years later. And the university will have committed to some sort of housing support. Now time will have to tell if I am a genius, crazy or stupid.