GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,380
2 members and 2,378 guests
bjaessjnray2773, John

Old 01-13-2002, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Mardi Gras

We kicked off the season with our first party last night. They announced the king, queen and the court. This is just the start of the season and I'm already thinking..."Oh lawdy, here we go again." I hate it when it starts right after New Year. There's no down time between the holidays. Oh well, who all is celebrating?
Are you doing costumes or ball gowns? We have one of each.
Anyone going to make it to N.O.???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2002, 09:01 AM

I've never quite managed to be there...

A couple of years ago, I worked for a consulting company - we were building a system for someone based in New Orleans, and our schedule was timed such that we would be doing the user acceptance testing during March and April. Mardi Gras was actually on the schedule mid-March that year. But the schedule slipped, and we wound up going down to N.O. the week AFTER Mardi Gras when the party was over, but the mess had yet to be cleaned up.

One of these years, I'll get there... Meantime, have fun!
Old 01-13-2002, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I will be down at Mardi Gras. My parents got me plane tickets down there and back for a present, and they'll be spotting me some spending money too. One of my pledge brothers lives down in New Orleans, so we'll be staying at his place. Should be an amazing time, I'm definitely bringing down a camera for this one. The only problem is that I'm taking a 6 am flight down to New Orleans, which means I'm going to be even more of a wreck on Saturday night.

Guess you do what you've gotta do to live it up.

Collin
Old 01-13-2002, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

OH MY GAWD, Collin is going to be loose in N O for M D!

JMOM, head to the storm cellar, oops Kansas talk! Well just hide out

Have the oysters sent to the house do not go out for them in fear of KS KID on the loose!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-13-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
Hey mom! I'm kind of excited about mardi gras this year. The president of our chapter was chosen as a maid for Centurion. Her cousin (also a member of our chapter) is a past maid. It's so exciting! The ball is on the 19th and then the parade is on the 2nd....the day before the superbowl. I can't wait to be in New Orleans.

B.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
OH MY GAWD, Collin is going to be loose in N O for M D!

JMOM, head to the storm cellar, oops Kansas talk! Well just hide out

Have the oysters sent to the house do not go out for them in fear of KS KID on the loose!
Haha, you got that right Tom - since I'll be with a kid who lives down there and knows the place inside-out, should be ridiculous. I can't wait, kinda counting down the days.

Collin
Old 01-13-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile collin have a ball

been there...done that...
you'll have an incredible time.
mmcat
Old 01-13-2002, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skip101
If everyone from GC went to Mardi Gras, who do you think would come home with the most beeds?
Delt Alum
Old 01-13-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say ZZ-kai-, you billy, or James
Old 01-13-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Go BIG GUY the gustto as long as not KS R C amn Beer truck!!!!!!!
Do Me a favor if get a chance!!!!! Oyster Bar on Bourbon St.!!!!! Get a Dozen and a tall glass of Chardonnay, Chilled not shaken of course!!!!! Well maybe 3-4 Chards! 1 For you and the rest for me!!!!!!

GO BIG DAWG, for the rest of us who are not there!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-13-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be there. One of her sisters live in N.O. and has an Aunt with an apt. IN THE QUARTER!!!! She is so pumped up!
I told her some of you GC cuties would be there.

I heard Brittany Spears was one of the guests...so, Collin, you gonna make your move? J/J
Old 01-13-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AOIIAngel
Scary thought of the day-All the GC guys in New Orleans for Mardi Gras......Havoc would run amuck through the streets.

Of course, if it were the fantastic LADIES of GC......well hell, hide the men cause we would be the Hit of the Town!!!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess I'm going to go. I've done it so many times, its really more of a hassle now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Mardi Gras, but when you live accross the lake, it becomes a mega hassle to fight the Causeway traffic to get to the good parades.

I was a maid in a local Krewe when I was 15. Was really awesome, although I didn't like riding on the float. Made me wanna yak from the constant motion

But its a great thing, overall. I love being a native New Orleanian
Old 01-14-2002, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Although I have been to NO and the quarter, I have never been there during Mardi Gras. Everyone always talks about how crowded it is then (like it already isn't crowded in the quarter! it scares me to think it could be MORE crowded, yikes!).

Anyway, I have been to the one in Galveston...I know, not the genuine article, but still a big deal to Houstonians. The last time was with my sorority sisters. We stayed at one of my sister's parents' house on the island and we walked down to the strand. We were having fun and taking pics and stuff when we heard gunshots and then a guy fell off a balcony and all of a sudden there were SWAT guys with shields and helmets charging through the crowd. They told everyone to get back up against the buildings and crouch down, so we did. One of my sisters kept telling me "I don't wanna die!!!!!" It was so scary. Then there were more gunshots. Then they arrested some people and told everyone Mardi Gras was officially over...big stuff...

Anyway, then it started raining really hard and the streets started to flood and several of the girls' cars got flooded out before we could try to move them to higher ground from where they were parked at our sister's house...big fiasco. And I always wondered why my mom said that it was so dangerous
Old 01-14-2002, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
My sister's boyfriend is flying down for Mardi Gras. He is looking to buy beads. Any suggestions?