GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,415
2 members and 2,413 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

5 Reasons to Date a Girl with an Eating Disorder

Quote:
Nothing screams white-girl problems louder than a good old-fashioned eating disorder.* But they’re more than that. Eating disorders have been—quite appropriately—declared a luxury reserved for only the most privileged members of the female race. In other words, the presence of one of the classic eating disorders is a reliable predictor of various socio-economic, cultural, and personality traits in a young woman–features that, in the end, are desirable to today’s American man. In a world where the “retail price” on the typical Western woman continues to skyrocket—while their quality continues its precipitous decline—there are some real gems to be found in the bargain bin.

I’ve dated several girls with eating disorders—in various intensities—and all of these traits have applied to each of them.

*While obesity is, in most cases, also an “eating disorder,” this list doesn’t apply to emotional eaters, food addicts, and fatties with no self control.

1. Her obsession over her body will improve her overall looks.

A girl who spends inordinate mental and physical energy on her looks is rarely fat. If you were to get into a long-term relationship with one of these girls, she’s also less likely to become complacent about her physique over time. Girls like this are usually deft at properly dressing their body type, which translates into a more stylish girl overall. And, because cheap clothing lines—like H&M—are shaped with straight cuts that are less labor-intensive and therefore more inexpensive, they look good in even the cheapest of shit. While they may have a “distorted body image” on the inside, that usually means staying trim and fit on the outside. Let’s not forget that fatties too, in the majority of cases, have a “distorted body image,” but in the unattractive direction.

2. She costs less money.

You can go out to nice restaurants and order take-out with the confidence that your expense on her will be minimal. In most cases, she’ll get a small dish–like a side salad–or just eat a little bit of whatever communal dishes you order. If you’re a hungry bastard, you can even finish off her plate. “Are you going to finish that?”

3. She’s fragile and vulnerable.

The case has repeatedly and persuasively been made that an inflated ego and an unearned high self-esteem are among the most unattractive traits in a girl. You-go-girlist “confidence”—grounded in little more than years of being told she’s a unique and special snowflake for no other reason than she was born female—renders a woman into an insufferable turd who thinks the world revolves around her.

An eating disorder often translates into the direct opposite: a girl who’s modest, fragile, and vulnerable. Instead of having to constantly wrestle with a difficult and obnoxious girl, you’ll be dealing with a tastefully insecure girl, who’s eager to please, and wants nothing more than your approval. She’s quick to apologize for transgressions, and will make the extra effort to see you–instead of flaking on you constantly. This level of vulnerability often brings out the best in men, whose protector instinct can’t help but get activated.

4. Probably has money of her own.

They aren’t too many poor girls with eating disorders. These girls come from money, and often continue to wield that spending power right into their adulthoods. Her instinct to please you will translate into her picking up tabs, coming to your door not empty-handed, or buying you little gifts.

5. She’s better in bed.

It’s a well-known fact that crazy girls are exceptional in the sack. A girl with an eating disorder has just the right cocktail of pent-up insecurity, neuroses, and daddy issues to ensure that your whole building knows every time you’re beating it up.

Say what you will, a girl with a mild-to-moderate eating disorder—that hasn’t excessively marred her appearance—is today’s best-buy in the West’s rapidly plummeting dating market.
http://www.returnofkings.com/21313/5...ating-disorder

Seriously? I can't believe people think like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy shit, that may be one of the worst things I've read today. Way to trivialize a real, dangerous condition.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh, I'm in the middle of watching a documentary called A Beautiful Tragedy about young Russian ballerinas and the intense pressure they face to stay skinny. It's just sad. This whole website seems devoted to douchebaggery and male chauvinism of the worst kind.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating disorders are not uncommon in communities of color. Reducing them to "white girl problems" doesn't help women of color feel comfortable getting treatment.

Ugh to all of this.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Eating disorders are not uncommon in communities of color. Reducing them to "white girl problems" doesn't help women of color feel comfortable getting treatment.

Ugh to all of this.
And saying it's a womans disease is just as bad since plenty of men get eating disorders, but only a handful of programs across the whole country treat men with eating disorders.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

This site is vile. Check out "20 Things Women Do That Should Be Shamed" if you feel like vomiting- the list includes 'sluttiness, single motherhood, birth control, and being a stay at home mom.'

Their tagline is "for masculine men." More like "for men so insecure in their masculinity that they feel the need to put down women."
Old 11-20-2013, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteviolet View Post
This site is vile. Check out "20 Things Women Do That Should Be Shamed" if you feel like vomiting- the list includes 'sluttiness, single motherhood, birth control, and being a stay at home mom.'

Their tagline is "for masculine men." More like "for men so insecure in their masculinity that they feel the need to put down women."
So… if you sleep around, if you practice safe sex, if you're single and a mom, or if you're married and a mom who stays at home, then you should be shamed. What's left?!

@~/~~~~
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
So… if you sleep around, if you practice safe sex, if you're single and a mom, or if you're married and a mom who stays at home, then you should be shamed. What's left?!

Nuns? Apparently that's the only demographic these guys are interested in because they hate on every other one...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly just spent over five minutes trying to come up with a response to this... thing. I'm still struggling. I honestly just want to hit this person.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing response from a boyfriend that's been posted on NEDA (national eating disorder association)

Quote:
5 Real Reasons to Date Someone Who has Struggled with an Eating Disorder
Posted: November 20, 2013

By:
Peter Peliotis
1. They’re just like you.
Despite the stigmas that surround eating disorders, people with them are just like people without them. They have jobs and families; they go to school and have friends and hobbies, dreams and aspirations. They’re just like you and me. And not only that, eating disorders do not affect only women – they affect men, too, and people of all races and socioeconomic statuses. My time dating a girl with an eating disorder has helped me learn how to handle my own problems with depression and anxiety and gain a deeper understanding of just how much we each have in common with one another. It may come through shared empathy and coming to the realization that we all have demons we need to face down, or it may come in the simple form of realizing one of your closest friends or family members has an eating disorder – the same people you watch movies with, party with, talk with, and love – those are the people affected by eating disorders.

2. They’re brave. Unbelievably brave and they can teach you things you never thought possible.
My girlfriend has achieved impressive academic, personal and professional success while struggling with her eating disorder. In the midst of these achievements, she was hospitalized several times and bravely went through rehabilitation. I personally never knew someone could be so absolutely courageous. Before I met her, I thought I was more or less doomed to a life of depression and that I had no real way out of it. I quickly learned through my girlfriend the true meaning of being brave. Bravery is staring down your problems, accepting them, coming to terms with them, and addressing them. Whether it’s through personal behavior modification along with a therapist, psychiatrist, or with a network of others who are afflicted. She still struggles from time to time with her eating disorder. We all have our own struggles and I still have mine too, and what she has taught me is that problems can only be solved when they are understood. “Shrugging them off” or being “tough” doesn’t solve anything.

3. She likes to cook (and so do I).
Along the way in fighting her eating disorder, my girlfriend and I have both learned to grown fond of cooking and eating mindfully because well… after all, eating is necessary for living but it is also central to eating disorders. Through discussing her struggles with bulimia nervosa and how it makes her feel psychologically, I came to the realization of just how important being healthy is. When you don’t eat or you don’t eat healthy, you feel tired and anxious, weak, and a myriad of other unpleasantries. When you eat mindfully, you have more energy, your hormones stay in balance and overall you feel healthy. Because of her, I recognized my own ability to cook and we got into cooking together which has become one of our favorite, most relaxing, and most useful skills. Nutrition is important and I would have never taken such an in-depth look into it if it weren’t for my girlfriend.

4. I’ve learned that the media and reality are very different things.
Movies, television, video games, and advertisements – they all make use of buff, slim, shiny bodies, both male and female. Sure, I work out, I eat pretty well but I don’t have visible abs or massively cut pythons for biceps. And I’m not saying there’s a problem if you do – fitness in moderation is healthy. Seeing images on the screen or on billboards that make you think your body isn’t “good enough” isn’t healthy and it also isn’t reality. The reality is, people come in different shapes and sizes and peoples’ thoughts and actions mean much more than their physical appearance. It goes without saying that what we see on television is rarely ever reality anymore but by dating a girl like my girlfriend, I have learned firsthand just how important it is to realize that the media is not reality and to accept our inner beauty.

5. It doesn’t define her.
The reasons you should date someone who has or has overcome an eating disorder are the same reasons you should date anyone else. Because you love them, because they’re fun, they share your interests, values, common beliefs – anything. There is no reason you shouldn’t date someone with an eating disorder and just because they have one doesn’t mean it defines them. If someone asked me to describe my girlfriend, I’d mention her intelligence, her love of biking, helping people, learning, hockey, and her sense of humor and all the love and understanding she has shown me. Her eating disorder wouldn’t be on the list because it isn’t what defines her and it isn’t what defines anyone.
- See more at: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.o....oOrTygU2.dpuf