GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,379
3 members and 1,376 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 12-10-2004, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Question about rushing as a junior transfer?

Hello,I'm currently a sophomore and I'm going to be transferring to a Big 10 school next fall and I am interested in joining a sorority. I'm a little bit worried about the fact that I'm going to be rushing as a Junior, but I'm going to be staying an extra year to finish all of my credits, so I will have 3 years to be a member. What are the chances that I would be able to get into a house as a junior? I put off rushing at my current school because we only have 4 sororities, and I wanted the opportunity to choose one when I transferred. Any feedback you could give me would be wonderful! Thanks!!

Last edited by Sucker4ya; 12-10-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a teeny suggestion ...I would maybe edit your name out of the post just so anyone from your school won't put 2 and 2 together and figure out who you are next year during rush...good luck, I hope you get the help you're looking for!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Unregistered-

There's still mention of your future school toward the end of the paragraph.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I transferred into a school my junior year and went through Recruitment. My initial school only had 7000 students while my new school had 30000+ students. I felt overwhelmed and didn't know how I would meet people.

I went through Recruitment in order to find a place for me. As a junior I didn't have any problems with houses and many invited me back. If I remember correctly, I was invited back every night to the maximum number of parties that I could attend.

Some schools it may be more difficult depending on the number of potential new members that go through in proportion to the number of houses on campus, but there's no harm in trying and putting your best foot forward!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better about things! Whatever happens, I'm going to give it my best shot.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
go go go! *small cheer!* have fun Most chapters are more than happy to pick up a mature associate member. Also, and don't quote me on this because it might not work exactly this way BUT! at my campus, Junior and Senior women wishing to rush are considered outside of quota, so they make take you AND still take a full class, and be overflowing with happy new sisters.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ladies, please, there is no need to make her so paranoid that she shouldn't provide ANY information. What's the point of asking for advice if she can't give us any specifics? There is little point in forcing girls to leave out their real name AND the name of their school -- one or the other will suffice (I usually recommend not telling anyone on GC your first name until after Bid Day).

In fact, in this case more information is needed -- rush at Big 10 schools varies widely. If it's at a school like Minnesota, where recruitment is less competitive, juniors don't have too much more trouble than sophomores getting a bid. If it's at Indiana, it may be vastly more difficult (unless Indiana has a separate junior quota -- does anyone know?). Other schools fall somewhere in between these two extremes.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

The school I'm transferring to is University of Illinois...if that helps at all
Old 12-10-2004, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

In my experience, it was hard. But I'm at a southern school, so it's different than yours.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:06 PM

My school (Kent State) actually had a pretty high number of junior transfers rush and get their top choices. Can't say anything about Illinois.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
WOOWOO!!! A U of I rushee!!! Here's how it goes for most juniors at U of I...you will visit 18 chapters in the first round. The following round, it is very possible that you will be invited back to fewer than 10 (the max you can visit). However, I know of at least five chapters that consistantly take juniors. They are not 'top' chapters, but they are solid groups with great sisters, and you should be happy in any chapter at such a strong greek school.

PM me if you want more info, I am the resident Illinois expert round these parts.