GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice on Information to Submit??

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to everything Greek, so please bear with me. I have two questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. I'm involved in quite a few campus activities. I wasn't sure if I should list them all and look super involved (although some of them are quite nerdy, like Model UN) or if I should leave out a few so it will seem like I have enough time to commit to the sorority (and honestly, I might drop one or two of the other activities).

2. This questions is a little bit weird. I grew up in Europe and had some health issues in my middle/high school years that I would rather not talk about. These two factors kind of culminated in me being quite a bit older than other girls in my year (I'm already 20). I'm really worried what the sororities will say if I submit that info (since the health issues are REALLY not something I want to talk about) and I wouldn't want them to rule me out since I'm older.
If i were to submit a false birth date, would they check that against my records?? I know this is morally wrong, but I'm really struggling with the prospect of them asking about my age.

Hope you guys can help!! Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesss View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to everything Greek, so please bear with me. I have two questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. I'm involved in quite a few campus activities. I wasn't sure if I should list them all and look super involved (although some of them are quite nerdy, like Model UN) or if I should leave out a few so it will seem like I have enough time to commit to the sorority (and honestly, I might drop one or two of the other activities).

2. This questions is a little bit weird. I grew up in Europe and had some health issues in my middle/high school years that I would rather not talk about. These two factors kind of culminated in me being quite a bit older than other girls in my year (I'm already 20). I'm really worried what the sororities will say if I submit that info (since the health issuues are REALLY not something I want to talk about) and I wouldn't want them to rule me out since I'm older.
If i were to submit a false birth date, would they check that against my records?? I know this is morally wrong, but I'm really struggling with the prospect of them asking about my age.

Hope you guys can help!! Thanks in advance!
Don't lie.

That's all I really have to contribute right now.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

THIS is one of the many reasons you get recs. Situations can be explained by alumnae, including your wish not to discuss your health issues.
However, I strongly suggest you come up with some answers to diffuse and redirect those questions, because you WILL get them. The right answer can be gracious and non-committal, yet not be interpreted as defensive.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 10-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Address your age HONESTLY! Goodness, why would you go right to telling a lie? There are many, many good ways to address your age during rush than lying.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

If a rusher brings it up during recruitment, and there is no guarantee that they will even do that, you can say something simple like "I had some health issues in the past, but I'm fine now and so excited to find a sisterhood!" No one in their right mind will press further with an answer like that.

If you lie, though, that calls into question everything else you told a chapter. What if your resume is faked? What if you weren't sick, or even in Europe? If I were lied to about your age, I'd question everything you say you are because I wouldn't trust the source anymore.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Address your age HONESTLY! Goodness, why would you go right to telling a lie? There are many, many good ways to address your age during rush than lying.
Especially because if you receive a bid, you'll have to lie for the rest of your life if you never want your sisters to find out that you weren't honest about your age.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 PM

There are waaaaay "nerdier" things out there than model UN. As far as being a 20 year old freshman, you certainly aren't the only one. Aren't most college freshmen in Europe 19 anyway?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Were you in a European school program growing up (versus American expat schools)? If so, your paperwork should clearly state the school. --- Hochschule Hauptstadt or whatever. Reviewers looking at your age and the name of the school might go "Ohhhh, European", conclude it explains the age difference (without even touching on any other reasons). If asked for more detail, Clemsongirl provides a good response.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

And re: activity listing, I would list everything you feel you actively participated in. Listing a gazillion clubs that you attended one meeting for won't help you in the long run if you're matched with a sister who is super passionate about something you barely did anything with, but don't omit a club because you think it's "nerdy". Any sorority who will judge you for being involved and intelligent is not a sisterhood you want to be a part of.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesss View Post
What they said. Do. Not. Lie.

Being 20 is not a dealbreaker, but being a liar is. It's certainly better to be 20 than to be a liar who lied about something that is very easily discovered. That makes you not too bright AND a liar.

There are plenty of perfectly good reasons to be a 20-year-old freshman. You could have a very late birthday, have done an extra year of preschool, have repeated kindergarten, have taken a gap year, have started school somewhere with a wonky cutoff date, have been homeschooled, have gone to an ungraded school, have transferred school systems, on and on.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you just leave your date of birth off?

If it bugged me, I would consider it.

On the other hand, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you don't want to talk about being sick, don't. I would just shrug and say that you were educated in Europe and that moving back and forth between the US system and European system is a little tricky. It's not a lie. It's not touching on something that you find uncomfortable.

Last edited by KDCat; 10-21-2014 at 08:35 PM.