GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,235
0 members and 1,235 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I didnt Rush, Now I want to.

Bid day was sunday, and now I am wishing that I had rushed with all my friends. My room mate and I abstained because we thought it wasn't for us - we were wrong!

How do you rush in the Spring? If there is no spring rush at Ole Miss, then is it hard to get a bid as a sophomore?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 AM

I believe that all chapters at Ole Miss made quota this fall and are either at or very close to total. Only chapters not at total are eligible to do spring recruitment. I'm not sure if any chapters will do spring recruitment this year.

Of course, the Ole Miss Greek Life Office is the best source of info. You could call and ask about the possibity of spring recruitment opportunities, but seeing as fall recruitment just ended, they probably won't know anything for sure about spring yet.

As far as rushing in the fall, it is not unheard of for a sophomore to get a bid, but it is more difficult because upperclassmen are cut heavily. I wouldn't say it's impossible (there was a junior on this site who got a bid) but it is definitely more difficult.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-03-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
^ My esteemed fellow Ohioan is quite right.

Best thing to do this year is to prepare for next year, meaning get involved on campus (paper, intervarsity, something!) and try to meet/chat with a variety of sorority women on campus*. Practice discretion in your actions (tabletop dancing at the Omega House Oktoberfest, not advised), and of course, FOCUS ON YOUR GRADES! You can be the best person out there, but if the grades aren't there, you're stuck. And try to secure recommendations for each sorority by contacting your local alumni panhellenic.

*and by chat, I mean just chat. Sorority women are supposed to talk about Greek life to PNMs in Panhellenic terms, meaning overarching, broad information. Don't put them in a sticky situation by asking about ritual, or membership selection. Make genuine, friendly, open conversation. It gives you a better idea of what they're REALLY like, outside of a rush situation.

Good luck with school!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest getting out there and getting involved. Look into a committee for student government or Leap Frog (I guess that's still around).

Most importantly, make lots of friends this year! Yes, it will be much harder as a sophomore, but it's going to be really hard if you don't have friends in that chapter pulling for you.

I was active all four years at Ole Miss and I have seen sophomores get bids into every. It might not be the easiest thing in the world, but it does happen!

Just an FYI, it's probably not a good idea to go around saying "I want to be an XYZ next year!!!!" Not that I think you would, but I have seen it before!!! It didn't have a happy ending!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Contact the Greek Life Office. Some sororities might be doing Spring Rush but it just depends.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your suggestions! I guess I will just be trying next year. My recs are ptetty much taken care of - both my parents were Alumn and my mom was really invovled in her sorority. She has already started getting my recs for next year! Boy was she excited when I told her I changed my mind. Again thanks so much!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
If you want to know about one house or another - or what makes one different from another, ask.

Use common sense. You obviously wouldn't ask about symbolism, or rituals, or secrets, but ask what sets them apart from other houses on the same campus. Not all greeks are alike.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure to mind your P's and Q's this year on campus, in class, at parties and out on the town. If you rush as an upperclassman, your reputation precedes you... make sure it is in a good way. Clean up your online profiles and photos on facebook and myspace, etc., and don't express preference over any particular sorority when out in public. Word travels quickly!

Join some campus organizations that interest you this year. Greeks tend to be involved in various campus activities-- it is a great way to make new friends, as well to make sorority friends-- which can be very beneficial at recruitment.

Ole Miss recruitment is very competitive, and upperclassmen may not have as competitive a time as freshmen. Keep an open mind, be yourself and have a great year this year! GPA counts, so keep it up!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your major? You may find that you don't have time. While I can't recommend getting a reputation at fraternity houses, I dated a couple of guys in fraternities and always met a lot of girls (girlfriends of the fraternity brothers) through them.

I'm not trying to change your mind but what makes you think you want to join now? Why the change of heart?