GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,766
0 members and 2,766 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Banned

After ignoring the unnecessarily unedited song and video, I was starting to like the Robin Thicke song. I liked the similarity with Marvin Gaye and that Thicke was supposedly intentional with that similarity. I assumed Gaye's estate gave permission and got some royalties. I guess that is not the case. Gaye's estate is noticing the similarities and has issues. I look forward to the upcoming report on CNN.

I was never a huge Robin Thicke fan. I appreciated his talent but an entire album of him was too much. I began to like him more because of Real Husbands of Hollywood. I may have to put my like on pause until they work this song thing out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
After ignoring the unnecessarily unedited song and video, I was starting to like the Robin Thicke song. I liked the similarity with Marvin Gaye and that Thicke was supposedly intentional with that similarity. I assumed Gaye's estate gave permission and got some royalties. I guess that is not the case. Gaye's estate is noticing the similarities and has issues. I look forward to the upcoming report on CNN.

I was never a huge Robin Thicke fan. I appreciated his talent but an entire album of him was too much. I began to like him more because of Real Husbands of Hollywood. I may have to put my like on pause until they work this song thing out.
Did I understand correctly that Thicke and Pharrell are suing Marvin Gaye's estate?

ETA: I personally hate this song because it is the favorite of my brown nosing, homophobic, judgmental coworker who is the inspiration of approximately 99.9% of my what I want to say out loud at work posts. She plays (and sings) it at least FIVE times a day. UGH.

Last edited by amIblue?; 08-19-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Did I understand correctly that Thicke and Pharrell are suing Marvin Gaye's estate?

ETA: I personally hate this song because it is the favorite of my brown nosing, homophobic, judgmental coworker who is the inspiration of approximately 99.9% of my what I want to say out loud at work posts. She plays (and sings) it at least FIVE times a day. UGH.
Initially Gaye's estate had an issue and now Pharrell and Thicke are the ones suing in response to the allegations. I hope to gain clarity in a few minutes. CNN is taking forever to discuss this.

Five times a day? Someone please call 911.

ETA: CNN is making us wait too long so....
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3767108

Robin Thicke is being proactive in response to the Gaye estate's complaints. Thicke may not have sampled Gaye (being inspired by something doesn't mean you violated copyright). It sounds too similar to the point where it was sampled. But that may not be the case. Madonna complained about Lady Gaga but there was no lawsuit (I assume) because it is not a legal issue.

The radio stations have been playing the Gaye song more. It sounds like Thicke's song but Gaye's song is better. I think the radio stations are picking sides. I am Team Marvin Gaye.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the info! Sounds like everyone (except me) is benefitting from the controversy. More pub for Thicke and Marvin Gaye gets more air play.

P.S. she dances, too. At least she keeps her clothes on.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Well at least the guy in the office next to me finally switched to some nice cello music...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

That moment when the plain yogurt you bought ends up being greek yogurt. Yuck.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, stop force adding people to my class.

ETA: Is it just me or aren't the Hunger Games recruitment themes "May the odds be ever in your favor" kinda creepy??

Last edited by HQWest; 08-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post

ETA: Is it just me or aren't the Hunger Games recruitment themes "May the odds be ever in your favor" kinda creepy??
Yes. Especially if any Capitol hair & makeup is going on.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
He just turned 3 last month, so that's pretty young. I'm taking him to see his vet on Monday.

A couple weeks ago we gave him his canine Advantix II treatment. He's tall/big for a cavalier...25 pounds. So we gave him the large dog dose, but not all of it. He started acting really weird for the next couple of days...rubbing his back all the time, acting kind of "off." This was only the second time with this brand. I called the vet, and the VT said wash it off with Dawn, and that they had stopped carrying it because they'd had a number of patients with similar reactions. He seemed to act better, but this not jumping up thing started around the same time. Now I can't figure out if it's the medicine plus some muscular-skeletal deal, still something from the medicine, or maybe he had an injury all along and we thought it was the medicine, maybe he hurt himself with all his weird back rubbing and antics....

It's really weird, because he seems to be walking and running just fine...it's just the hopping up or climbing, and the weird, temporary "my back legs don't work" a couple more times. I hope it isn't hip dysplasia or something horrid like that already.
Dysplasia is pretty common, but in my experience it hasn't been very common in dogs his size. I mean, I have seen it in the occasional toy or small breed dog, just not as much as I've seen it in larger breed dogs. And generally young dogs that are severely affected may be reluctant to stand or move, and he's walking and running. I mean, as long as the exercise doesn't diminish when he does walk and run, then that's probably not the problem.

Well, I hope all went well with his vet visit. Keep me posted. Teddy is such a cutie!

What I feel like saying now: I am eating a very, very late, but delicious lunch. I was pulling my hair out this morning.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Well, I hope all went well with his vet visit. Keep me posted. Teddy is such a cutie!
It turns out he hurt his back, and particularly his neck -- probably due to his back rubbing antics while he was dealing with the Advantix II aftermath. He had a 16 minute laser treatment, which he seemed to enjoy, although the VT could tell his neck was particularly sensitive. He is supposed to lie low for the next 1-2 weeks and he has a once-a-day painkiller to take.

I'm just amazed by what his vet could determine...so much knowledge goes into figuring out what's wrong when your patients can't tell you anything! She said, "he spoke to me!" From what she explained, his reflexes are off, he's not aware of his feet, and he kept his paws bent in a way that dogs typically don't do.

All I know is, that laser treatment looked like it was soothing...I'd like that some mornings!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit. Why did I think this was a good idea.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Cengage Learning owes me money for a text review.

They've filed bankruptcy.

Damn.

I don't get paid until the 31st and was hoping that - 2 months after it was due - the check was coming.

Don't buy new Cengage texts - they aren't paying their authors, either.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 08-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It turns out he hurt his back, and particularly his neck -- probably due to his back rubbing antics while he was dealing with the Advantix II aftermath. He had a 16 minute laser treatment, which he seemed to enjoy, although the VT could tell his neck was particularly sensitive. He is supposed to lie low for the next 1-2 weeks and he has a once-a-day painkiller to take.

I'm just amazed by what his vet could determine...so much knowledge goes into figuring out what's wrong when your patients can't tell you anything! She said, "he spoke to me!" From what she explained, his reflexes are off, he's not aware of his feet, and he kept his paws bent in a way that dogs typically don't do.

All I know is, that laser treatment looked like it was soothing...I'd like that some mornings!
I'm glad he's okay, and thanks for the update. Daisy and I were concerned.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I'm glad he's okay, and thanks for the update. Daisy and I were concerned.
Sounds like Daisy also talks to her vet. Teddy says thank you for your concern.

Teddy also says, "Go Blue!"

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 08-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sounds like Daisy also talks to her vet. Teddy says thank you for your concern.
Yes, she does. Right now she's doing more than talking. She's jumping around in her vet's lap, trying to lick her face, while her vet is trying to post on GC.

Quote:
Teddy also says, "No Blue!"
Teddy wins lol