GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,326
2 members and 1,324 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-02-2000, 05:00 PM

Question Hey Barbara if your around...

A while back this was posted in one of the email lists I'm on. I was wondering if you thought this could be true or just one of those urban legends.

I think it must be wrong but you'd be better educated about that.

"According to NPC rules, a woman may pledge another sorority only if her
Nationals takes away the chapter charter, but not if they kick the person
out. This happened at my school- One sorority was Delta Zeta one year and
Gamma Phi Beta the next."

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2000, 05:49 PM
Theta Phi Alpha

Question

did delta zeta merge with gamma phi?? because all 3 sororities at my school were once other sororities that merged with national sororities...one of them being gamma phi beta also.
Old 07-02-2000, 07:12 PM

Lightbulb

That's why I was wondering if Barbara knew the answer to this.

I know a LOCAL sorority can merge/initiate into a NATIONAL sorority. But a NATIONAL BECOMING ANOTHER NATIONAL and not have it be for every single chapter? I think it's got to be bogus.
Old 07-02-2000, 08:58 PM
hilton

To answer the questions:
1) No, Gamma Phi Beta and Delta Zeta, which are both National Sororities of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) did NOT merge.
2) If you are an initiated member of one NPC sorority, you cannot join another NPC sorority. If your chapter loses its charter, it is unfortunate, but you're still an initiated member.

It sounds like the girl mentioned in the Delta Zeta and Gamma Phi Beta story...perhaps she pledged Delta Zeta (but did not get initiated as a full member), felt that DZ was not "a fit" for her, depledged from DZ and pledged Gamma Phi Beta one calendar year later. This would be okay, since she was not a full fledged initiated member of DZ.

To respond to Theta Phi Alpha's question: Most national sororities colonies/chapters on campuses started out as locals, which were then absorbed into a National.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Hilton is correct.

Years ago, when the NPC was forming, several smaller, regional or national groups did merge into groups that exist today. Most of these merges took place between members of the Association of Educational Sororities and members of the NPC. For example, Beta Omicron Sigma, a prestigious teacher's sorority, was absorbed into ZTA.

Barb