GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,350
3 members and 1,347 guests
baadamashtolzea, indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

A PNMs Comment About Internet Discretion

This just bugged me.
I have a Tumblr and follow the 'sorority' tag, and a girl wrote a post about how she got released from all sororities except one, and her pi chi/rho gamma told her it was because sororities can be superficial and they may have cut her due to her being overweight. I went to her page to see if she had said anything about the sorority that didn't cut her and if that worked out for her, and on her Tumblr, she described how she was glad her roommate was away so she could masturbate openly, she talked about losing her V-card, and said that she had posted nude photos of herself on the internet and stated the site where she posted them. I obviously don't know what happened, but I'm almost willing to bet money that the nude photos and vulgarity of her blog may have had more to do with her getting cut than her weight did. So, I thought I'd bring this to GC. I always see the advice 'CLEAN UP YOUR FACEBOOK!!!" So, maybe it should be "CLEAN UP YOUR INTERNET FOOTPRINT!!!" ANYWHERE you have an account should probably be clean because maybe girls are looking at more than just facebooks to get info on the PNMs. Obviously, I wouldn't know, and shouldn't give any advice, and maybe I'm sticking my $.02 where it doesn't belong, but if any greeks feel like that cleaning up all social media accounts is a good idea, please chime in.

That being said, I finished my first day of recruitment today. SOOOOO TIRED.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

You betcha. What's on the Internet can float around forever, like trash in outer space.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. Just... Wow.

Yes, Ladies, and I hope I'm not using that loosely, sorority members DO search the internet for whatever you've posted. kbelle, you definitely have a good head on your shoulders! Best of luck throughout the week!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle View Post
This just bugged me.
I have a Tumblr and follow the 'sorority' tag, and a girl wrote a post about how she got released from all sororities except one, and her pi chi/rho gamma told her it was because sororities can be superficial and they may have cut her due to her being overweight. I went to her page to see if she had said anything about the sorority that didn't cut her and if that worked out for her, and on her Tumblr, she described how she was glad her roommate was away so she could masturbate openly, she talked about losing her V-card, and said that she had posted nude photos of herself on the internet and stated the site where she posted them. I obviously don't know what happened, but I'm almost willing to bet money that the nude photos and vulgarity of her blog may have had more to do with her getting cut than her weight did. So, I thought I'd bring this to GC. I always see the advice 'CLEAN UP YOUR FACEBOOK!!!" So, maybe it should be "CLEAN UP YOUR INTERNET FOOTPRINT!!!" ANYWHERE you have an account should probably be clean because maybe girls are looking at more than just facebooks to get info on the PNMs. Obviously, I wouldn't know, and shouldn't give any advice, and maybe I'm sticking my $.02 where it doesn't belong, but if any greeks feel like that cleaning up all social media accounts is a good idea, please chime in.

That being said, I finished my first day of recruitment today. SOOOOO TIRED.
Is it possible you should take your own advice?

You posted enough information in your posts, and now that you're on tumblr as well, that you could have made your footprint quite discernible among the 1300 PNMs who had their first day of rush today. Even a locked down facebook leaves one wide open if they post in a public group or page and have a viewable photo or name, especially when there is the wayback machine and google search cached images and pages.

I honestly wouldn't post to a public group/page with my government name, a real photo, or anything like that, even if some GC posters say to leave a facebook photo up with my name so they can see me for rush, which I find hella creepy, as well as public bid lists with full names and home towns, I wouldn't do it as they can use the photos that were submitted with my registration or recs.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I am now amused by this thread.

Also, what a difference a few years makes, mostly I'm just shaking my head thinking that college freshman should be anonymous on her tumblr (or run one tumblr associated with her and one anonymous) and sign up for an account on Fetlife if she wants to socialnetwork her nudie pics. It's the medium, not the message she needs to change.

/yes that's right I just verbed that
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I am now amused by this thread.

Also, what a difference a few years makes, mostly I'm just shaking my head thinking that college freshman should be anonymous on her tumblr (or run one tumblr associated with her and one anonymous) and sign up for an account on Fetlife if she wants to socialnetwork her nudie pics. It's the medium, not the message she needs to change.

/yes that's right I just verbed that
I also think if people want to not have a footprint that can be tracked, they should use vastly different user names that are nothing like their real name or nicknames. For example if I was going to write Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle slash or fan fic, I would not use the same name as on GC, but something else entirely. It isn't that hard to keep stuff off of facebook as well as protect tweets. Though I am an infrequent user of twitter, the moment I saw unprotected tweets were going to be documented by the Library of Congress it was no question of protection.

Not that it has happened recently, but I know obnoxious new posters and/or troll like people have been busted/outed on GC for using the same or similar user name. I am not cut from the cloth of putting everything on facebook or twitter or what have you, private or not, so it can be quite hard for me to understand.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I also think if people want to not have a footprint that can be tracked, they should use vastly different user names that are nothing like their real name or nicknames. For example if I was going to write Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle slash or fan fic, I would not use the same name as on GC, but something else entirely. It isn't that hard to keep stuff off of facebook as well as protect tweets. Though I am an infrequent user of twitter, the moment I saw unprotected tweets were going to be documented by the Library of Congress it was no question of protection.

Not that it has happened recently, but I know obnoxious new posters and/or troll like people have been busted/outed on GC for using the same or similar user name. I am not cut from the cloth of putting everything on facebook or twitter or what have you, private or not, so it can be quite hard for me to understand.
I am mostly "drolefille" on the internet and would use it for pretty much anything that isn't 'adult' material. Fanfic would be drolefille (it isn't, I can't write), slash fic would be something else (it isn't, I can't write.)
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM

The most distressing thing about this thread, IMO, is the possibility that a Pi Chi would say sororities are superficial and that's why you were cut. If anything, that just gives PNMs license to write off the whole Greek system as snotty bitches.

The only place I use the same username online is on a makeup board and a TV snark board. Never that twain shall meet so it's really not a problem. If you see "33girl" anywhere else online, it's not me (unless Prunetacos is quoting me).

One of the posters from the snark board also posted here and
it wasn't just her username...
it was also
the fact that her distinctive style
was the same in both places.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I am mostly "drolefille" on the internet and would use it for pretty much anything that isn't 'adult' material. Fanfic would be drolefille (it isn't, I can't write), slash fic would be something else (it isn't, I can't write.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The most distressing thing about this thread, IMO, is the possibility that a Pi Chi would say sororities are superficial and that's why you were cut. If anything, that just gives PNMs license to write off the whole Greek system as snotty bitches.

The only place I use the same username online is on a makeup board and a TV snark board. Never that twain shall meet so it's really not a problem. If you see "33girl" anywhere else online, it's not me (unless Prunetacos is quoting me).

One of the posters from the snark board also posted here and
it wasn't just her username...
it was also
the fact that her distinctive style
was the same in both places.
I think that the three of us are all a bit older and had different internet (facebook for sure) experiences and have a different approach to living online.

But OH MY do a search in google on tumblr sorority and there are people putting it all out there. Blog posts on what chapters they want to join, what they are wearing to pref, who actives want to see on bid day, unreal!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM

"Living online" pretty much sums it up.

These girls wouldn't think of going home, getting out their paper journal and venting in it. They automatically put it on the computer.

The impression of that age group that everyone wants to hear what they have to say just because they say it is just part of the entitlement thing.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

This was a problem when I was a collegian but with Livejournal, instead of tumblr.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Attending college in the early 90s:

Downside: having to go to an actual library to search on something called microfiche for research projects

Upside: all photo and journal proof of my thoughts and actions are safely secured in boxes in my home OR were never documented in the first place.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post

Downside: having to go to an actual library to search on something called microfiche for research projects

Upside: all photo and journal proof of my thoughts and actions are safely secured in boxes in my home OR were never documented in the first place.
My current research isn't even on microfiche, it is on microfilm reels. Fiche would be a blessing. The newspapers I've been working with aren't even indexed, so I get to read every single page if/when they are readable. I just love it when I need to make an image and the page is light and dark, has scratches or blotches, and I get to use Photoshop to make it a copy worth a damn.

I have to say I like that my school has the policy of not allowing cell phone or internet access for PNMs during rush. Not only does this prevent her from doing something dumb via facebook or twitter, it keeps outside influences and a helicopter invasion way down. Granted my parents didn't take me to college, I went far away from home, and I am the youngest in a blended family of older parents so I rarely turn to my parents first or see them as "friends" or confidantes, that is what my older siblings filled.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post

I was in elementary/middle school for most of the 90s, and even I used microfiche from time to time. I actually liked it. But then again, I didn't use it all the time... I also had to pull out those things called books!

It really does amaze me what people will post online. And what's really scary is that the younger generation seems to be rubbing off on the older generations in this regard. However, I also think that the internet is simply providing everyone with a more public forum to be exactly who they are and do exactly what they've always done... The popular kids in school need to have 5,293 friends.. the parents who talk about their kids, and only their kids (and all the stupid/gross/funny things they do) are now talking about them through status updates.. The overly-dramatic teenage girl who needs constant ego-boosting is now posting all of her woes so her friends can ask what's wrong, and tell her she's awesome no matter what.. And the guy who drinks underage and smokes weed, and who talks about it in public so everyone will think he's cool, is now posting pictures of himself and his buddies getting high.

Is it all still annoying/stupid? Yes. And unfortunately, because of the internet, we no longer have a way to escape it... Except to step away from the computer.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

What amazes me is people giving their children heavy digital footprints before they can speak or walk. I have a facebook friend who posts about and uploads pictures of her child every single day. Also, the child's whereabouts, which is just downright dangerous. Post every detail of your life if you want to, but when I have kids I will do my best to not publish their lives on the internet.