GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,660
1 members and 1,659 guests
zashlytopo8836

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Retro Recruitment:: a brutally honest story

A few weeks ago, I stumble upon a very brutally honest recruitment story. I feel as though that story was 1) the most real 2) the most interesting to GCers and 3) the most interesting to PNM's. My story will be very similar to that.

To all of you that would like to know: YES I will be having a legend with sorority names at the end and the campus name will be revealed (unless my PM box is full with ppl telling me not to).

Be prepared GCer's this is a long one with many twists and turns.

Hmmmm now for code names:

Nate Archibald
Chuck Bass
Blair Waldorf
Serena van der Woodsen
Dan Humphrey
Vanessa Abrams
Jenny Humphrey
Ryan Atwood
Seth Cohen
Marissa Cooper
Summer Roberts

Ok, I am now off to get some food and will post the first post in an hour or so.

CLUE TO MY SCHOOLS LOCATION:
- I am off to In-n-out. This should definitely give some of you GCers a BIG clue
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess View Post
I am off to In-n-out. This should definitely give some of you GCers a BIG clue

Indeed it did! Mmm...grilled onions...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

so

I've narrowed you down to a part of the country.
Now I'm craving... thanks...
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

i must be a sucker for all these stories... I'll be waiting
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

a little about me

I was so surprised when I opened up my admission letter.... well, i am lying.... it was more like i went online and saw the 'status of my application' and the first word on my screen was congratulations.

Move in day for my dorms was amazing. I met my AWESOME roommate Cassie and we defin hit it off. I told her all about my boyfriend, a boy i had been with for 3 years. Now that I was moved into _____ my bf and I were 2 and a half hours away from each other.

She was getting ready to go to some meeting for sorority recruitment. I had NO idea that was even going on or what it was. I mean, school hadn't even started yet! She invited me to go with, and i did. Since I had no idea i was going to go through recruitment, I KNEW i would not have anything to wear for the really formal night (pref). But Cassie said she would defin let me borrow some of her formal wear. That was really sweet.

All I knew about a sorority was what i saw on MTV Sorority life and to be completely honest, the show ACTUALLY made me like the idea of a sorority.

I was invited to several parties in high school and but had drinken a VERY few times. Never to the extect of some of my party friends. Since my parents were prominent people in our pretty concervative community, I had a certain image to uphold and i swore by it. I definitely was friends with many ppl that did not share the same morals as me. i would just let them do their thing.

But now i was in a new city and I wanted to just experience life. MTV sorority life- to me- portrayed a group of girls from different walks of life, who each had experienced something that another girl had not.

I wanted a sorority that would 1) party (i'm a big socializer) 2) is well known/popular 3) hung out with alot of frats 4) had a lot of pretty girls.

Cassie and i went to the meeting with a few other girls on our floor:

Linette- sweetest girl ever. one of those gilmore girl sarcastic humor types. I get along really well with people with sarcastic humor.

Kirsten- this girl was kind of...... hmmmmm..... i would say the b word, but thats not a very classy word to say.... lets just say that she was pretty demanding. She was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. But you could tell she was pretty self concious or something cause she clung on to Cassie and I the entire time.

There were 3 or 4 other girls from our floor that came and walked with us, but i dont remember them too much.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

the recruitment meeting

WOW. There must have been AT LEAST 600 girls crammed into this big room. Since i was not planning to go through recruitment or even had any knowledge about it, I was wondering how all these girls did (?!?!?)

As soon as the meeting was over, we split into our groups by our last name. Since I was not registered, i did that, and joined a group. All this hub bub definitely made me excited.

I was not in a group with Linette, Cassie, or Kirsten which was fine. I found a few girls in my own group who I got to know.

After the leader lady gave us all the info on what to expect for the next day, we were excused. Linette, Cassie, Kirsten and I stuck around and went to the backroom where some representatives of each sorority were. Everyone was invited to talk to them after the meeting to ask general questions. I made sure to go to each one and introduce myself to the and talk to them. I really didnt make any judgments. It seemed like everyone was nice and cool. Cassie and I talked to some of them together and some of them apart.

Linette, Cassie, and I went back to our dorms together to get some sleep. Kirsten left earlier to go to some party. She tried getting Cassie and I to go.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

DAY 1

Linnette, Cassie, Kirsten, a few other floormates, and I walked together- early- to our meeting place. Kirsten talked about her boyfriend back home and how she met someone at the party last night. She said something like "[my boyfriend] knows i'm going to cheat on him, i mean we are like a zillion miles away, so whatever". It was really aggrivating for me to hear since my boyfriend was far from me. But I never really took what she said to heart.

We all knew NONE of the sorority reputations, which could be a good thing i guessed.

We split into our groups and walked to sorority row. Low and behold, the MOST BEAUTIFUL HOUSES! ughhhh gorgeous.

Since this story took place a long time ago, I will not be able to tell you the correct order I went to these houses in. but, anyways:

Nate Archibald- ehhh this house was ok. I just didnt like this room in their house that was made out of wood. Alot of their house reminded me of a ski lodge and this is ______ where the sun always shines. I talked to many girls. I asked if their house had parking (big plus if they did!) BUTTTTT they said their parking was reserved for the president and their house mom. It meant a lot to me that a house have parking. I wanted my boyfriend to be able to come and see my house. He was a big part of my life and soon the sorority would be too. The girl I was talking to told me about the rules for boys. This place just had too many rules. for someone who wanted to break free, hearing the rules was not what i wanted.

Chuck Bass- tent talk was intense for this house... and not in a good way. I walked in and....... the house just seemed so barren. Not a lot of picture, not a lot of furniture. Compared to the insides of other houses (all with VERY homey touches and excellent furniture) this house just seemed so... empty. I decided to not talk much. I knew I was not interested. This was ok since the actives had to double up and the other PNM was a talker.

Blair Waldorf- the 3 story house was pretty impressive, but that is all it had. I felt like I was going on a repeat of questions. There was not one girl I actually remembered

Serena van der Woodsen- this house was so small. and it was so dark. it was kind of creepy. BUT the girls were gorgeous and I just clicked and got along with everyone i talked to. We did not talk about sorority life or any of that. there was a point where 2 actives were talking to me. I felt bad because this was another house that was doubling up (2 PNM's for one active) and I had 2 actives and the other PNM was barely talking. I loved the girls, because they reminded me of myself, but I just didnt know if the house was something I could call home. Compared to the other bright, beautiful houses, this house just seemed small and dark.

Dan Humphrey- woahhhh this house was like the stereotypical sorority. Everyone was happy, jumping excited. Seeing to it I just came from Serena van der Woodsen and seeing all these very real, chill girls, this house was too "Oh my gawwwddd" for me.

Vanessa Abrams- There was something about the tiles of this house that just felt like home. I got alot of really cool girls. It seemed like a mix of serena's and dan's in one house. I liked it.

Jenny Humphrey- This house was prob the biggest on the row. The active and i talked about our boyfriends and stuff. We even talked a tad about drinking and stuff lke that (I brought it up). She told me she was a hardcore straightedge due to religious beliefs. I felt the same way here that i felt at Nate's.

Ryan Atwood- was everyone in this house blonde? The girls were fun and poised. Their coutyard was beautiful. I felt at home. It was a wierd feeling, but after this house, i kind of new what I was looking for in a sorority.

Seth Cohen- do not remember one thing... at this point, it took a lot for a house to stick out in my head, and this just didnt. the girls were nice and everything, but you could tell that we were exhausted... on both ends.

Marissa Cooper-I saw it and just knew... this was my house.i walked in and-to this day- i believe this is the most beautiful house visually at ____. I was given a house tour and me and the girl were talking about this clothing store weboth liked. I came accross a picture of all the girls on a yacht. The girl told me one of their date parties was on a yacht. I did a quick scan and.... OH MY GOSHHHH... one of my best guy friends was on the boat! I told the girl and she was like "WOAHHHHHH yes, he is from ______ (my hometown) just like my sister dana!" This just proved to me that I loved Marissa. Another active showed me the rest of the house and took me to the balcony... THERE WAS PARKING (alot)!!!!! and she told me that every sister can use the parking and there are some saved for certain people (prez, house mom). Next, i was seated with another active. She was soooo chill. We talked about my boyfriend and told me "yeah, a lot of the other sororities have rules against boys in their houses and stuff... but we are way chill over here". We even got into talking about partying and she insinuated that they do have low key parties at their house. that was it, a house that fulfilled everything that i wanted and i loved it.

Summer Roberts- this house was not as aesthetically pleasing as other houses. It was a long day and I believed i found my home

It was easy for me to rank

1 Marissa
1 Ryan
1 Vanessa
1 Serena
1 Blair
1 Dan
1 Seth
1 Summer

2 Nate
3 Chuck
4 Jenny

I basically would only do Marissa and Ryan. No chance for anyone else. I hyped myself up for it. I went through my entire cloet finding things that Marissa and Ryan would like. I amped myself up like crazy. So excited!!!!

Linnette, Cassie, Kirsten, and I all had different favorites. It was not a big deal for me to be in the same house as them. I fell in love with Marissa and Ryan
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess View Post

I wanted a sorority that would 1) party (i'm a big socializer) 2) is well known/popular 3) hung out with alot of frats 4) had a lot of pretty girls.
Quote:
I basically would only do Marissa and Ryan. No chance for anyone else. I hyped myself up for it. I went through my entire cloet finding things that Marissa and Ryan would like. I amped myself up like crazy. So excited!!!!
Good to hear you have your priorities in check
Old 09-07-2008, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
well.... at least she is trying to be honest. I've seen several PNM's with the same mindset.

|||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||
K . A . P . P . A . K . A . P . P . A . G . A . M . M . A .
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I KNOW. I KNOW.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Are the codes names from a show or something?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
Are the codes names from a show or something?
They're from the tv show "Gossip Girl"
Old 09-07-2008, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 2

I was so excited for today! it was wierd because JUST 2 DAYS before, I never even knew about recruitment. Now I was enthralled!

Cassie, Linnette and I took serveral pictures together as we waited for our group leaders to come with our invites.

I finally got a hold of mine!!!!!!

With the max of 7 houses I recieved an invite from:

Nate Archibald
Blair Waldorf
Serena van der Woodsen
Dan Humphrey
Vanessa Abrams
Jenny Humphrey

But where was marissa???? and no ryan? I was okay with not having ryan, but not marissa. I was perplexed, and hurt. I handed in my schedule to my rho chi and told her I no longer wanted to participate in recruitment.

She looked at my list and told me that she was confused. she said had a pretty full schedule (most PNM's recieved 4) and there were a lot of top houses on my list. I said no.

I left, cried, called my boyfriend, walked home blah blah blah etc etc etc.

THE STORY CONTINUES!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3,4,5

Cassie, Linnette, and Kirsten continued with recruitment. Each day she came home with amazing stories about her time she spent at each house. This made me even sadder. NOT that i did not get an invite into Marissa or Ryan, but that I was so stubborn.

I did not even give the other houses a chance.

Why didn't I just try and continue till pref before i made a decision. This is a decision I regret to this day.

Cassie told me that her number 1 house changed from day 1 to day 2. What if that happened to me? now, I will never know.

Pref night came:
Cassie went to: Dan and Jenny
Linnette went to: Dan and Jenny
Kirsten went to: Ryan and Dan

This made me even sadder. Houses that I easily dismissed became the favorites of some of my best friends. I made a judgement call on an entire house based on one conversation.

Bid day came around and (TO MY SUPRISE) Cassie, Linnette, and Kirsten all went Dan!!!!!

It was wierd how that worked. My initial reaction of Dan was so different from all of them. But they loved the house (quick flash forward. Cassie, Linnette and Kirsten stayed in Dan for all 4 years. They LOVED their chapter. Cassie told me that Kirsten is such an amazing girl. They got to know each other so much better and she is so proud that Kirsten is her sister).

I made tons of new friends my freshman year. Though I still admired the letters cassie had hanging on the wall, I had an amazing freshman year at _____ thanks to my amazing friends.

I still regret making the decision that I made Day 2.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprocess
I figured since this is a retro thread that you were trying to set up the storyline....
20/20 hindsight definitely makes a story read quite differently than a live one!

And you ARE being brutally honest.